aussie

Canon EOS 5D Mark II

Sealing looks like a light foam-rubber rather than actual rubber gaskets...

Does not sound half-assed to me. 10mm in 3 minutes is heaver rain than you would get in a hurricane.
Well that's equal to 200mm per hour... which is less than the 1D series' 254mm per hour resistance. So I apologize for my bad math... it's about 3/4 ass implementation. :uwphotog:

I don't think you can extrapolate out like that - I think there may be a reason they listed it as a water/3min rating. Seals may saturate to an extent after that point...

Looks like this is an opportunity for Wetpixel to do some product testing. We can just put each camera in the shower and see what time and intensity it takes to kill it. About 10 samples of each camera should give reasonably good statistics.

What do you think Eric. :uwphotog::)

Group buy! ;)

finally Auto ISO!

video feature is just perfect. Especially 1080p with 30fps.

I wouldn't basically prefer h264 for recording but it should be fine considering the high bitrate the MkII uses.

I'll have to get it!

PS/edit: just discovered Sealux already confirmed 5D MkII housing on their website ;)

Edited by Jolly

Welcome back Jolly! Did it take the replacement of the 5D to get you back here :-)

Cheers

James

The sealux guys probably have the measuring tape out already since they are at Photokina.

Jolly, aren't you a little disappointed that auto ISO doesn't work in manual? I know I am.

Heard a good one....

The 5D is the Ferrari of cameras.

Well the 1960-1980 Ferrari of cameras. As in when Enzo Ferrari said "When you buy cars from me you pay for the engine, the rest is for free."

Alex

Hey hey... I like the new California... I just don't like the engine anymore ;)

Question on the FAT32 limitation. This means it is limited to recording 4gb per card/dive, or on continuous record session? If in total, I wonder if you can fool in to starting a new file.

Seems a shame when you now have 32gb cards. It's like the early days of DOS and hard drives. Oooh, man am I old!

Edited by scorpio_fish

I'd say it's the Smart Fortwo AMG 6.3. If it were a Ferrari, you'd have to suck up to Canon to buy it, then never use it, then take a boat load of crap for the 1000 shutter releases when you sell it, and take a terrible beating on resale. The 5D2 may be an imbalanced camera but it's no Ferrari!

I thought Canon was the BMW of cameras though. Or was that Apple was the BMW of computers? I get these idiotic car analogies confused.

Question on the FAT32 limitation. This means it is limited to recording 4gb per card/dive, or on continuous record session? If in total, I wonder if you can fool in to starting a new file.

Seems a shame when you now have 32gb cards. It's like the early days of DOS and hard drives. Oooh, man am I old!

George, on camcorders, the new file is automatically made and recording is continuous. I think the 5D2 doesn't do that. It'll stop at 4GB and you'll have to hit Set again.

I'd say it's the Smart Fortwo AMG 6.3. If it were a Ferrari, you'd have to suck up to Canon to buy it, then never use it, then take a boat load of crap for the 1000 shutter releases when you sell it, and take a terrible beating on resale. The 5D2 may be an imbalanced camera but it's no Ferrari!

I thought Canon was the BMW of cameras though. Or was that Apple was the BMW of computers? I get these idiotic car analogies confused.

Get out! Is there really a Smart AMG 6.3? I've seen the turbo 1.3 but the V8 is bigger than the car no? 5D2 is an AMG S-class... too much engine for the chassis and everything is auto. ;)

I get these idiotic car analogies confused.

i owned a car in Palau back in 2002

Mike! They actually let you drive, don't they know any better!!!! ;)

BTW, i'm scheduled for some facetime with this 5D Mk II and its sibling, the 50D next monday morning. as they say, the early worm gets the bird! (I know, but just picture your friendly earthworm with a shotgun, waiting for that robin to show up ;) ).

Jean

Please remember for this housing, you need to add the hydrophone now ;)

I've never had a housing for a DSLR, and I searched for some info with no luck. My question is, do any of the housing/port combinations for the "old" 5D accomodate a 17-40 F4/L? Do you think new housings would work with this lens and the 5D MK II?

Thanks,

Pat

The 17-40mm is a popular workhorse and is supported by most manufacturer, its is not a problem child as some other lenses can be (no oversized zoom barrel, bulbous front element or weird AF/MF selector switch location etc.) so it should be supported by whatever brand you would be looking into.

I've never had a housing for a DSLR, and I searched for some info with no luck. My question is, do any of the housing/port combinations for the "old" 5D accomodate a 17-40 F4/L? Do you think new housings would work with this lens and the 5D MK II?

Thanks,

Pat

The 17-40 will most certainly be accomodated by most housings accomodating Canon. With regard to housing the 5DMII in old 5D housings, I guess that remains to be seen. The overlay in the first page of this thread shows problems, however, the overlay as it is shown seem to be somewhat unscaled, as the measurements of the new and old 5D are more or less similar according to specs (1 mm difference in one dimension), while the overlay shown is far from similar in size. However, as the buttons have somewhat different positions on the MII, you will probably loose at least some control. But, as said, I believe it remains to be seen just which controls will be available and which will not. Given the C1-3 options as well as auto iso, I guess that some loss of control can be worked around if programs can be changed during dives.

Regards

Bent

The 17-40 will most certainly be accomodated by most housings accomodating Canon. With regard to housing the 5DMII in old 5D housings, I guess that remains to be seen. The overlay in the first page of this thread shows problems, however, the overlay as it is shown seem to be somewhat unscaled, as the measurements of the new and old 5D are more or less similar according to specs (1 mm difference in one dimension), while the overlay shown is far from similar in size. However, as the buttons have somewhat different positions on the MII, you will probably loose at least some control. But, as said, I believe it remains to be seen just which controls will be available and which will not. Given the C1-3 options as well as auto iso, I guess that some loss of control can be worked around if programs can be changed during dives.

Regards

Bent

Hey, thanks!

Pat

"All samples are provided as JPEG straight from the camera (we don't currently have any RAW conversion software which supports the EOS 5D Mark II)."

That's to be expected... I guess DPP is due for another update.

OK - so will the images from the new camera look better than the 1DsIII images? That is the question.

I remember when the 5D came out the images looked MILES better than the 1DsmkII. So I bought a 5D and housed it. However, after using the 1 series bodies for a while I ended up giving up on the 5D as my main camera and going back to the 1 series. One of the main reasons for me was the AF.

Cheers

James

Sponsors

Advertisements