Drew

Video from the Canon 5DMkII

Well still have not found a moving shot clip....I wonder why.... :)

I have a question about focus? It appears from the various reports (Michael Reichmann's report is just up) that the camera will not change its focus during the recording of a clip? Is this correct?

So if Emma the Beautiful Bahamian Tiger Shark happens to be swimming toward you during a shot, the camera can't track her and stay (more or less) focused?

Thanks. I don't have that much experience with video, but I make little videos of my dive vacations, and this seems like one of the more essential features. And alot of the newer P*S cameras can't do it. My old one can, so I haven't upgraded, grr.

Was hoping the 5dII could . . .

Here is a pro photographer's short dramatic movie using the 5D MKII. Is that CMOS wobble in the helicopter shots? Looks like he used manual focus while shooting once or twice and maybe he also let his subjects move into the plane of focus. This does seem to suggest that auto focus may not be changing once you roll footage.

http://blog.vincentlaforet.com/

Pat

Thanks pat.

Here is the actual Reverie movie:

http://downloads.canon.com/CDLC/Reverie_Fi...Cut2_midres.m4v

I'd embed but I don't think Canon would like that. :D

And here is the making of:

http://vincentlaforet.smugmug.com/photos/3..._MRytZ-1280.mp4

Note for all of the running/moving shots were all stabilized by gyro mounts, all from Kenyon as in the credits. There's also bits and pieces of frames showing wobble, slant and skew during movement, especially in the car and helicopter scenes. The lack of shutter speed control also showed up when the LCD screens were flickering.

With CMOS and rolling shutter, there will always be some sort of skew/slant/wobble. Image stabilization will always help alleviate it but as you can see... it can't eliminate it. However, the low light looks awesome and a nice fast wide lens would be awesome.

Now to pressure the housing makers to add hydrophones.

You can tell the making of was put together in a hurry. Their editor left a few frames here and there of bad clips. Oppsie! :)

Btw, the camera just hit the top 20 most sold camera list... and it's not even out yet. Get your preorders in! Housing manufacturers.... this is your "it" product!

I have never seen you so excited about an inanimate object, Drew.

Great info - keep it coming.

Alex

So is this the 'Killer app' of the camera world ?

I know nothing about video so where does this product offering stack up in the pile of video gear out there and why ?

To be honest I had assumed that the video side of the equation was probably a bit of an also ran feature like live view on my D300, you know, great theory and marketing but....

Why is Drew so excited?- or is he just sitting on a portfolio of Canon shares :)

Paul C

I'm first on the Seacam list!!! I loved the 5D, upgraded to the 1D Mark III and hope the 1D Mark IV fits in the same housing - it won't. I can hope...

Get your preorders in! Housing manufacturers.... this is your "it" product!

Got this from Drew.

"As I mentioned before,the 5D2 cannot take a still AND shoot video at the same time. The movie mode does continue to record, but whenever you take a still photo, there's a gap of about 1 second in the resulting file."

Not all reviews have spotted this.

Alex

Every "review" (or, whatever these one-day, hands-on impressions are called :) ) I've seen has noted this as happening...?

I downloaded that Reverie movie clip and looked at it frame by frame as well.

They certainly were careful on how they shot and cut around the camera\'s weakness, but as Drew stated there were a few skewy bits missed.

Nice though for certain creative jobs to have but would not be good yet for day to day video use.

Given that the 5D MkII only offers fixed 30fps rate, does anyone have any insight into how problematic the conversion to 25fps is likely to be for those of us in PAL land. Thinking about mixing in 5D MkII footage with HDV etc.

I've heard mixed reports- anything from 'no problem it is easy to convert with high quality results' to 'it's a nightmare and leads to serious degradation of footage'....

OK, I think I just answered my own question :)

I tried downloading the sample (MVI5500) from Canon and rendering it with Vegas together with one of my HDV 25fps clips- tried a .wmv and a .avi file, both at 25fps and render was pretty quick. Quality of the 5D MkII video still looks better than my HDV- I couldn't see any problems. Still need to try it with a clip with a bit more fast motion in it...

Here ya go.

Enjoy the skewing.....it's a keep me still video camera :P

Hey that's no way to talk about my girlfriend! Oh you mean the 5D2. Well it'll replace my trip camera rigs with all-in-1 ability. I'll still bring the big video rig for dedicated shots but as production cameraman, it's a great tool to have. I can take high quality stills and video of the productions in the same rig. The issue of CMOS rolling shutter isn't a big deal underwater for me unless the director wants something more "nausea inducing".

OK, I think I just answered my own question :P

I tried downloading the sample (MVI5500) from Canon and rendering it with Vegas together with one of my HDV 25fps clips- tried a .wmv and a .avi file, both at 25fps and render was pretty quick. Quality of the 5D MkII video still looks better than my HDV- I couldn't see any problems. Still need to try it with a clip with a bit more fast motion in it...

Ferg

It is precisely faster motion that will show the strobic effect of 30-25fps. You're removing frames so the action in between is cut short. Frameblending/motion blurring helps a bit but it's Saving Private Ryan/GI Jane all over again.

Hopefully the skewing won't be too much of a problem when shooting wideangle. I guess for macro work a tripod might help minimize it (which you kind of need anyway for decent looking shots). Ohh I'm getting excited. I'm just about to get on the pre-order list for this little beauty.... :P

Given that the 5D MkII only offers fixed 30fps rate, does anyone have any insight into how problematic the conversion to 25fps is likely to be for those of us in PAL land. Thinking about mixing in 5D MkII footage with HDV etc.

I've heard mixed reports- anything from 'no problem it is easy to convert with high quality results' to 'it's a nightmare and leads to serious degradation of footage'....

I think converting to 25fps would only make sense to have common footage with your HDV cam as you say.

In general I think there is no need to stick to 25fps for PAL regions anymore when it comes to HD stuff. All TVs and displays capable of HD resolutions also accept 30fps. It would only make sense to convert to 25fps if you want to do a DVD copy of the footage.

I guess 25fps will start to die some day.

Julian

I took the full-rez original clip of the actor washing his face and processed it in Virtualdub with the deshaker plugin. This really highlights the wobble and skew in the image. Of course the camera shake itself is high enough that I think that is what most people will see in this clip. I know the HV20 has some rolling shutter issues, but I have only noticed this problem once or twice with my HV20. I wonder how the MKII will compare with the HV20 in this regard. How much wobble will we see if we are using a wide angle lens, 20 to 24 mm, and tracking a fairly fast moving large fish (while holding the camera steady of course)? The image quality itself is breathtaking, outdoing anything I have seen with my XH-A1.

Pat

I think converting to 25fps would only make sense to have common footage with your HDV cam as you say.

In general I think there is no need to stick to 25fps for PAL regions anymore when it comes to HD stuff. All TVs and displays capable of HD resolutions also accept 30fps. It would only make sense to convert to 25fps if you want to do a DVD copy of the footage.

I guess 25fps will start to die some day.

Julian

Julian, that may be true for personal projects but you also have to think about broadcast. The EBU has standardized 25fps (1080/50i/p, 1080/25p, 720/50p) as their broadcast rate. Like it or not, 25hz/fps is here to stay. What I really hope happens is 24P dies and a minimum of 50p takes over. Anyone watching sports or action will appreciate 50/60p. The funniest thing is that BluRay has left out 25/30p as a standard, so you have to wonder if Canon is just smiting Sony with 30p.

We also have to remember that the 5D2 isn't finalized yet... they could yet bring out 24/25/30p capability.

Also note that the LaForet videos, while not having any POST done, had in camera jpeg settings to affect the picture.

Drew,

you're right about broadcasting. But if you don't produce exclusively for PAL regions, would you rather convert 30fps to 25fps for the PAL broadcast world or 25fps to 30fps for NTSC world export? I would prefer shooting with 30fps if the final stuff could be shown in both regions. But you're right, if your target is european broadcast -> 25fps.

I do much more suffer from 24fps with Blu-Ray. We were spoiled with PAL speedup DVDs and smoth playback at 50i. Now 24fps looks terrible if you don't own a 24fps display/TV and have to stick with 3:2 pulldown. I've been told Americans have been used to that before already :-)

Julian

Julian

In truth, with the advent of the Alchemist Ph.C converter, it's largely academic to choose what frame rate to shoot for broadcast. Look at the various sporting events like the F1 last night. All of it was shot in 25fps (some with high frame rate slomo) but when broadcast to the US and Japan, it is put through the Alchemist and 99.9% of the people will not know the originating fps.

It's a matter of convenience. If you live in PAL regions, doesn't make sense to shoot 30p and have to deal with conversion since it's an extra step and possible additional cost to convert.

Yeah you have smoother DVD playback but your movies are shorter by 4% too :P But then again, it could be 1000% too slow for some bad movies :good:

Here's a music video by a preproduction 5D2 with various fast lenses including the 50 1.2 and 24/35 1.4. The video is very clean.

Yes the footage looks very clean, even in low depth of field/wide aperture settings.

So far, everything that I have seen shot with this camera in terms of video has been done from a rock solid tripod, and in one case mounted on a gyro-stabilizer.

What will be rendered from handhold shooting (no gyro stabilizer), that will be real interesting.

Walt, it's already been established that the 5D2 like all other CMOS sensors suffer from skew/wobble effect when it gets shakey.

So I have been hearing. The question is, how will, and to what amount of shake/wobble when shooting underwater will effect the the image?