Sign in to follow this  
Andy Davies

Who is using LED video lights?

Just about to buy some lights and would like to hear of experiences using the LED lights and how they compare with HIDs?

Thanks

Andy

I've had the Sunray 2000 LED lights from Light and Motion since they shipped. My review of them is on the Kenstone.net editing site...http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/light_motion_sunray_douglas.html

I've used them now for 2 trips, one in Alaska and one for a month in the Cocos Islands on 2 back to backs. While I think the Pro HID lights were very good, the LEDs are just that much better. You do have to be careful with them in terms of using them at the highest 2000 lumens power as you can blanch out your subject. For macro or for water with lots of particulate it is great that you have two lesser settings 1000 and 500 lumens to turn to.

Steve

I have a pair of Sunray 1000s that have only been used twice now, both times used in dirty green puget sound waters. So far I am pleased, but I will admit, I have no prior experience with HIDs for comparison purposes in terms of color, etc.

But the lights operate well, instant on. Over an hour burn time at high.

Here are some links of recent videos taken with the Sunray 1000s. WB set mostly either to a white slate, or to "outdoor".

http://www.vimeo.com/1391938

http://www.vimeo.com/1577044

Using the Sunray 2000 LED's and they're simply great. Light and Motion has made lights that instantly turn on and with three settings, even on high the burn time is over an hr. Most of the time I'm only half power they're so bright.

I've had quite a few video lighting systems in the past but this has been the best lights I've had yet. The Sunray 1000's are great also, I've a friend that has a set and he's very happy with those also.

Worth every dollar you'll spend to buy them.

Frazier Nivens, Ocean Imaging

I agree with the previous posts. The 2000s are great - instant on and long burn times are their best features, still not quite wide enough for the Fathoms SW44 lens though.

Josh

That's how the LMI lighthead "look" brighter, by making a narrower beam. It's especially obvious in the video by Eric in Seattle. It's fine for video but once real wide angle is needed, the LMI just isn't wide enough, even with 2 light heads. It's not just about how many lumens a lighthead has, but how the beam pattern spreads those lumens.

I have a question for those that have used the LED's. I am considering upgrading my lights to LED's. So my choices seem to be the Sunray 1000 or the 2000's. I will almost always be using my video setup in the nice warm clear caribbean waters. In that type of environment, do you think the 1000's would be sufficient in most all circumstances. I have been reading that those people with the 2000's usually are burning them on the lower settings for the most part.

So what do you folks think?

Thanks,

BDSC

I have used my Sunray 1000s in dark and dirty Puget Sound WA waters, and also temperate 30'-60' vis California waters to date. I just posted a recent video of the California dives, and you can get a look at how they worked for me there. http://www.vimeo.com/2065934

The video samples that I have on vimeo,all three videos were white balanced to a white slate illunated with the lights, and no CC filter used on the lens.

I'll be using the 1000s in the Caymans mid November, and hopefully have some feedback for you then.

So far, I love the lights. They are a bit "cool" color wise... but that is actually kinda nice if you shoot with a CC filter in place in the housing. The light not appearing too warm as other lights will in such a scenario. I seem to never use the lights on the lowest power. Either half or full. The 1000s at 1/4 power is really dim, I think, only good for the most extreme macro. Definetly get spare batteries, for swapping out for that 2nd or 3rd boatdive. And an extra charger for redundancy when on the road. Charging time is pretty quick.

Edited by wolfeeldiver

Thanks for the feedback and I liked your videos. I watched several of them. I kinda think for the type of video I'll be doing, the 1000's would work pretty well. I'll see what others think also. By the way, I'll also be in the Cayman's in mid November. I'll be at the Brac Reef Beach Resort November 15th - 22nd. They had a 2 for 1 deal that week that was too good to pass up.

BDSC

One more thing. Where do you find your music for your videos?

Thanks.

By the way, I'll also be in the Cayman's in mid November. I'll be at the Brac Reef Beach Resort November 15th - 22nd. They had a 2 for 1 deal that week that was too good to pass up.

BDSC

Thanks.

Thanks for the nice words. Yes, that Brac Reef 2 for 1 deal is good... tis a small world, my wife and I were at the Brac Reef same time last year and enjoyed it. You will have a good time there. Be sure to dive the sunken Russian Frigate. This time, we are going instead to Little Cayman, on exactly the same dates as you are.. the 15th... I wouldnt be suprised if we are both in the Grand Cayman airport waiting area at the same time waiting for our connecting flights. lol.

The music I used for my Catalina video.. from www.zeropage-media.com From their Ambient Pills album. If I recall, the other videos, one song is from one of Alan Parson's albums, another from Enigma.

Edited by wolfeeldiver

Small World!

We were at Brac Reef Beach Resort this past May and about a week or two after we got back they advertised this deal so we jumped on it. We will be going to Little Cayman next May and staying at the Little Cayman Beach Resort. Thanks for the info on the music. I will keep that in mind. Sting also has some good music that goes well with these types of videos.

BDSC

It is very sad to report that none of us will be visiting the Brac Reef Beach Resort for quite some time. I just spoke with them this morning and the resort is pretty much a total loss. They will have to totally rebuild. It's such a shame because it was a great resort with great people. But as soon as they are back in business, I'll be one of the first ones back.

BDSC

Yep, Cayman Brac was hit hard by Cat 4 Huurricane Paloma. And Little Cayman was shut down for a few weeks due to power issues.. thus.. we spent last week instead diving the East end of Grand Cayman.

I made 14 dives using my Sunray 1000 LED lights, and was pleased. I used them at full power during the day, and had plenty of burn time for any length of dive. I swapped out a fresh battery between dives, just in case. My depleated batteries took less than an hour to recharge.

For the Nite dives.. they were the brightest thing in the water. Other divers always knew where I was, and joked about it. But there were "bloodworms" in the water, and they sure liked em too. Imagine a cloud of a million swarming bees around your lights.. that was often the case. I often had to turn them off, and let the worms be attracted to my buddy's divelight, so that I could sneak away from them. I often shot at 1/2 power at night. Sometimes full was too much in terms of exposure.

If I had to do it again, perhaps I'd get the 2000s, the only reason for that is I would have liked having bit extra brightness for filling bright upward shot daylight scenes. However, The 1000s do an okay fill in bright sunlight if you shoot horizontally or downward.

Overall the 1000's worked very well, especially at night, in caves and swimthrus, under ledges, and restored colors well up closer. As expected.

Mike,

If you don't mind me asking, what video equipment are you using? Of course I know what lights. You video turned out great. I need to join the vimeo thing and start posting some of mine as I have more video to post.

Ashley

Mike,

If you don't mind me asking, what video equipment are you using? Of course I know what lights. You video turned out great. I need to join the vimeo thing and start posting some of mine as I have more video to post.

Ashley

Hi, I am just a serious amateur, not a pro like some here. I am using a Sony HDR-HC7 mini HDV tape based camcorder housed in a Gates HC7 housing, with the Fathom WP25 wideangle port used for all the daytime shots. Good or bad, right or wrong, none of the daytime shots in this video used any type of CC filter. I just set white balance to a white slate. I still need to experiment more with using CC filters in the future. Also, for the night dive shots, all of those shots were taken using a flat port. For a few of the night shots I attached a Century Optics +2.5 Acromatic diopter to the lens. (i.e. the Arrow Crab closeup as an example of that shot).

Edited by wolfeeldiver

Hi, I am just a serious amateur, not a pro like some here. I am using a Sony HDR-HC7 mini HDV tape based camcorder housed in a Gates HC7 housing, with the Fathom WP25 wideangle port used for all the daytime shots. Good or bad, right or wrong, none of the daytime shots in this video used any type of CC filter. I just set white balance to a white slate. I still need to experiment more with using CC filters in the future. Also, for the night dive shots, all of those shots were taken using a flat port. For a few of the night shots I attached a Century Optics +2.5 Acromatic diopter to the lens. (i.e. the Arrow Crab closeup as an example of that shot).

That's me. Just an amateur doing it for fun to give me and my friends something to have and remember dive trips. But I do want to become as accomplished with it as I can. I will probably dive with the system I have for another year or so and then move to something HD. Right now I have a TopDawg housing with a Sony HC42 camera and HID lights.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements