Sorry if this has been covered ... tried a couple searches ...

Has anyone seen anything about housings for this camera?

Not likely, Jeremy. I've been a long-time fan of Lumix point & shoots, and I love the LX3 for its combination of IS, small size, easy changing of aspect ratio, and RAW capability. Even the little Lumix FX01 does a pretty good job in the Lumix OEM housing and built-in flash if you get close enough (here's a gallery by a friend who used my FX01 on an Indonesia trip: Luke's Lumix FX01 Gallery ). I think the LX3 could be an outstanding little camera uw... I have an LX3, and I've searched and waited, and searched and waited but alas, no uw housing has been forthcoming for it. :)

In fact, my frustration with Lumix NOT coming out with an LX3-calibre camera (that shoots RAW) AND housing is the primary reason I ended up buying the (larger) G9 and OEM housing to use when I want a compact uw rig. In fairness, I think the G9 is a more capable camera...but not by much. I guess there just isn't enough demand from "serious" uw photographers (who would really see the need for shooting RAW) for Lumix to justify making a housing for their more "serious" cameras (like the LX3). They only seem inclined to make housings for their ultra-compact, cheaper cameras, presumably to sell to bikini-clad snorkelers, surfer-dudes, river rafters, ignorant yuppies with kids and suburban swimming pools, people with boats who want lightweight waterproof cameras, etc... Come to think of it, that's a pretty big market; maybe they're not so stupid after all... ;)

Too bad ... looks like a winner underwater.

** Teensy

** RAW-capable

** 720/24p video

** 24mm equivalent wide

** Hotshoe

** Image stabilized lens

There were two (expensive) housings that came out for the LX2. Not right away though. So you may have to wait. If they didn't sell well the manufacturers might not want to get burned again. See digideep.com (to the right) to look at those housings.

I really like my LX2. But it is very noisy. How do you like the the LX3. Is it a BIG improvement in IQ (especially noise) over the LX2?

Too bad ... looks like a winner underwater.

** Teensy

** RAW-capable

** 720/24p video

** 24mm equivalent wide

** Hotshoe

** Image stabilized lens

It sure looks like the best compact ever. I am postponing buying a camera hoping for Ikelite to make a housing.

Actually, I even wrote to Ikelite and got a response that they will consider a housing if there is a sufficient interest.

May I suggest writing to them? Perhaps our inquires will constitute the required amount of interest?

I asked the same question about the LX2. Same answer. They need a LOT of people requesting a housing to make one. Doubtful.

I read reviews that suggest the AF is slow, especially in low light. A killer as an Underwater camera. Also the LX2 suffered from severe noise problems, even at low ISOs. The LX3 would have to be dramatically better to justify taking it UW.

I exchanged a few e-mails with Ikelite. The problem is the joystick on the back. It may not be possible to integrate this into an underwater housing. Without it, based on the reviews I've read and the manual, it doesn't sound like you have access to manual exposure settings. I'd like to find a lx3 somewhere to play around with it and see if this is the case.

It appears that at least one of the cases made for the LX2 lacked joystick control as well:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NIB-LEICA-PANASONIC-DI...id=p3286.c0.m14

Bob

They told me the same thing about the LX2. There were two companies listed in digideep.com that were suppose to make housings for the LX2 however.

In that review they list two things. 1. It's contrast detection Af is amongst the fastest in it's class, but far slower than that of a dSLR. 2. The camera does best when it is not in a low light situation.

For UW use a fast AF and low light capacity might be amongst the most important attributes.

I might get one, but the jury is still out on weather it would be a good camera to house; especially if the housing was expensive.

Does the joystick only need to be opperated up and down and left and right? (in other wards not at angles)

If so would it not be possible to have wedge shapes to the bottoms (on the inside) which would make it possible to use the joystick?

Thats giving some hope!! And great to read.

the previous UK-Germany housing for the lx2 dont have the joystick control... and without this control the housing is useless... :uwphotog:

i hope they do the joystick control or some hacker can do a firmware for changing the button function.. :P

bye

bol.

I've been using this camera as a walk around camera. Very nice. If you look at the UK-Germany housing you can see they do have controls for the joystick. I wouldn't pay a 1000$ for a housing for it though. Maybe if they had put the 4/3rds size sensor in it.

I stumbled across this web page:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...history_state0=

The interesting part is that they seem to have figured out the joy stick control.

Good snooping Allen. Who are those guys? Will all of the housings be "custom" made?

Thanks, but I can not take full credit as I found it via luminous-landscape.com where someone else posted it.

They also did some testing:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...Den-us%26sa%3DG

I am hoping that Yoko Qno can chime in as I found this post from her last spring:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...amp;mode=linear

She obviously has more local knowledge.

It looks as though they make ABS housings. My guess is that these housings do not make it east across the pacific. But it does look to be a custom housing.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=e...Den-us%26sa%3DG

In the mean time I have sent them a note about the housing.

Edited by allen

I was able to get a very prompt email response from the mfg.

ME:

I recently found your announcement about a housing for the Panasonic LX3. Can you give me more information about obtaining the housing. I am located in the USA. It would it appear that you have solved the joystick control issue and have full control of it and all other buttons.

I am curious to know about using a fiber optic strobe such as the Inon 240. Is there a secure connection for the cable? Can different ports be used? or can wet lenses be attached?

Dive Tail:

We will tell it to the start.

I cannot speak English.

I use the translation software.

Thank you for the contact.

The mail order to foreign countries is possible.

Is EMS a possible area?

The charge is payment in advance.

The commission besides the amount of money of goods and the sending fees is

necessary.

You can operate the joystick.

But.It becomes upper and lower, right and left, inverse.

Please understand.

The product guarantee corresponds only when using it in Japan.

When there is a trouble.Various cost are all the customer's shares.

The socket for the optical cable is an option.

Our product Nautilus is all handmade.

I can make it in the form of hope.

But.I cannot use the conversion lens on the characteristic of the camera.

Thank you.

DIVESHOP TAIL Arai

2-13 mitsuzawasimo-chou kanagawa-ku

YOKOHAMA-JAPAN

http://www.dive-tail.com

Sorry, not much of a tip as it is already being discussed in this thread but thanks.

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=27978

Edited by allen

FWIW - I got to play with the Leica version today top side. I have to say the 24mm was sweet. If one had a housing with a dome that allowed it to be used to its full potential one could have a lot of fun. I liked the wide angle as well as I take full advantage of it while in slot canyon in Oootah.

I few things I noticed which others have mentioned. The joystick is necessary for any manual control. The left right moves between the shutter speed, aperture, and manual focus. The up-down adjusts each. When in manual focus you can control how much of the center of the screen is enlarged - either slightly or over all the screen. What was not clear was whether one needed to be able to push the joystick. Pushing it put one directly into the REC menu which seemed to be a short cut for getting there via the main menu.

The other thing I noticed is that the camera is really small. I think to use it topside I would want a grip. The Panasonic version comes with one built in. Of course with Leica you have to buy it.

I will add some to this when I visit the toy store again.

Well I am now the owner of the Leica version. Between the $150 rebate and $50 my local shop price matched it was an okay deal (Just a sucker for Leica as I have been shooting one of their small film camera for years now). Still a $200+ premium over the Pani version. But better software for raw processing and a longer warranty. I am not going to try and review it here as so many others have already done so on other sites and given it accolades.

Currently, I am waiting to hear back from UK-Germany on their housing but the 10 Bar housing is currently on the top of my list now that they have the joy stick figured out.

I formed a flickr group and hope anyone with underwater housings will share their work. Flickr supports licensing, including creative commons.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/lx3underwater/

The Panasonic LX3 features provide unique opportunities for underwater photography. The LX3 is not a dSLR and without the shutter lag may actually outperform high end dSLR cameras underwater. As a 'digi-cam' with new lenses and housings on the market, the LX3 is a strong contender for a 'professional underwater camera'. During SCUBA or snorkeling (or SNUBA too), the LX3 small size and ease of handling surpasses most bulky dSLR underwater sets and is a real performance asset for underwater photography and video.

Regards,

headsqueeze

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34591432@N07/

I've got an LX3 and a D300. The LX3 is a great little camera. I would love to have a housing for it. But it is in no way the equal of a D300, nor probably of any dSLR. Compared to earlier generation compact cameras the shutter lag is quite good. Compared to a D300 though the claim of no shutter lag is ludicrous.

Also the AF is not in dSLR league.

I hope a reasonable cost housing becomes available. But you will not be getting a set up comparable to the capacity you would get with any dSLR in a housing.

Sponsors

Advertisements