Sign in to follow this  
ssiers

Sea & Sea ports chart for Canon Lenses

A little while back I stumbled on a great chart for Sea & Sea ports for Canon lenses, mapping out the various ports & extenders available. Now, I'll be danged if I can find that chart anywhere (Google, S&S web site, dealer sites). Has anybody seen this and do you know where I can find it again?

A little while back I stumbled on a great chart for Sea & Sea ports for Canon lenses, mapping out the various ports & extenders available. Now, I'll be danged if I can find that chart anywhere (Google, S&S web site, dealer sites). Has anybody seen this and do you know where I can find it again?

I always use the Sea & Sea web page, find Maintenance & Service on the top row, then click on the Canon link at the bottom of the page. They always hide the map to the treasure. ;)

Have fun,

Steve

Eureka! Thanks, Steve. Now can you help me decide? D50 or 5DII? I don't think I can wait a year for a 5DII housing, though. Argh.

Eureka! Thanks, Steve. Now can you help me decide? D50 or 5DII? I don't think I can wait a year for a 5DII housing, though. Argh.

I'd think seriously about the 50D and put it in a 40D housing you can buy today. We haven't seen anybody test fit it yet but I bet it works. Depends on if you feel you want to shoot full frame I guess.

Have fun!

Steve

I agree - that sounds like a great idea. And there is a HUGE variety of housings available for the 40D

Cheers

James

Depends on if you feel you want to shoot full frame I guess.

...or shoot HD video...hmmm...

Edited by ssiers

...or shoot HD video...hmmm...

Somebody is going to prove me wrong some day, but historically being all things to all people is the path to oblivion. The question is will you be able to do both photo and video well. I guess the jury is still out but what are we going to do for lights? Carry video lights?, carry both strobes and lights? I'm guessing at some point we will have to start making compromises.

Cost is also a driver for me;

40D system today; $980 for the body, $2500 for the housing, lets assume ports and glass are a wash, $1600 for 2 strobes, arms for another $500 and the whole rig will set you back about $6400 +ports and glass.

5DmII sytem in Nov. $2700 for the body, $4000 for the housing, $1600 for strobes, arms maybe $1000, video lights $3000, plus ports and glass comes out to about $12,300 total.

So if I'm close on the numbers, the video and FF will just about double the system cost. If you're making your living on your images it makes sense to have the best tools you can get your hands on. If you're a two or three trip a year kind of guy like me?????

Hey, I'm all for going for it if you want to go that way. I can't wait to see the great shots you get. I just think for me it would make taking good images much harder.

Good luck!

Steve

Ah, you are my wise conscience...of course you're right...not ready to spring on either anyhow. With my current G9 setup it's too tempting to be switching lenses and switching to video all the time, everything suffers.

my thinking has always been if you can possibly afford it to get the best one when you buy as you may only regret it later (talking from experience), on the other side you could always say you then take longer regretting that large credit card bill that is not dissapearing...hmmm, nice dilemma to have though

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements