Viz'art

Canon 50D and 40D housing are a match

A lot of you will be happy to know that I just came back from Canada to try the 50D in a 40D Aquatica housing, it is a shoe in, no modification needed whatsoever. So I hereby claim that Aquatica has been shipping Canon 50D housing for a while now :)

A lot of you will be happy to know that I just came back from Canada to try the 50D in a 40D Aquatica housing, it is a shoe in, no modification needed whatsoever. So I hereby claim that Aquatica has been shipping Canon 50D housing for a while now :)

Jean,

That is great news. I wanted to get a second camera body before my up coming trip to Raja Ampat and now I will get the 50D - that is if they become available in time. Thanks for checking this out so fast.

TomC

You're welcome Tom, you could say that I will personally garantee that the 50D will fit in YOUR housing :) as well as all other 40D housing. Thanks

Excellent news. :D If only it was always like this.

Alex

Dude i'm sure it was a mistake and the designer got fired, :) but seriously, I like the trend, first the Nikon D40x/D60 now this one, it appears that camera manufacturers are starting to see the financial gain in standard manufactured work lines, i'm sure there is a bundle of cash involved in retooling a production line such as they have, I know its expensive for us and heck we have a lot less parts involved in a housing than them in a camera body.

Hmm I guess I need to look at what the 50D had new over the 40D. That is great news finally. If only the new 5D Mark II was the same as these two also. LOL

Cheers

Todd

I do not have personal knowledge at this point, but from what I understand, the 50D fits in the Ikelite 40D housing, with all buttons working EXCEPT the LCD Panel Illumination button.

I am eager to see if others report the same or if the report I got was user error.

I do not have personal knowledge at this point, but from what I understand, the 50D fits in the Ikelite 40D housing, with all buttons working EXCEPT the LCD Panel Illumination button.

Sorry, I'm confused. Are you talking about the large LCD or the small panel on top of the camera? I can honestly say I've never looked at the top panel while in the water. I changed the default for the LCD to show the info screen and just leave it on. Love those big white numbers. They did switch two buttons below the back LCD panel from the 40D to the 50D but you'll just need to remember or change the labeling. The only illumination button I can think of is for the top panel which I don't use unless I'm on a tripod on land.

Steve

They did switch two buttons below the back LCD panel from the 40D to the 50D but you'll just need to remember or change the labeling. The only illumination button I can think of is for the top panel which I don't use unless I'm on a tripod on land.

Steve

I think I see a 50D in the near future for someone to see how it works with a Sea & Sea Housing. Not quite sure who that may be though. :P

I think I see a 50D in the near future for someone to see how it works with a Sea & Sea Housing. Not quite sure who that may be though. :P

LOL, Hi Drew, I think I'll wait until I get the 40D figured out. :) The image quailty is great in my book, there are more than enough pixels, and I can't see well enough to use the upgraded LCD screen underwater anyway. It is very cool that the 50D will fit though. I'm thinking I'll wait for the 60D to come out and pick up the 50D when it goes on sale next year. I'm pretty sure that's the sane logical thing to do. On the other hand, it would be nice to have a spare body though huh. :good:

Cheers,

Steve

LOL, Hi Drew, I think I'll wait until I get the 40D figured out. :good: The image quailty is great in my book, there are more than enough pixels, and I can't see well enough to use the upgraded LCD screen underwater anyway. It is very cool that the 50D will fit though. I'm thinking I'll wait for the 60D to come out and pick up the 50D when it goes on sale next year. I'm pretty sure that's the sane logical thing to do. On the other hand, it would be nice to have a spare body though huh. :P

Cheers,

Steve

You are definately sitting pretty with the worse case scenario of the 50D going down in price next year. As to sane/logical, no doubt probably true, but I do not think any of us are sane or logical when it comes to these things :)

As to the spare body, may not be a bad idea to grab another 40D if they drop in price before the next trip, right now it looks like the bodies are $400 or so difference in price so the 50D is probably a bit tempting. Never bad to have an extra camera body, such as when your shutter decides to go kablooey and you find youself turning the camera off and on over and over on a dive trying to get a shot off before it finally gives up the ghost on the one trip you decide not to carry the backup camera body to save room and weight on a short trip to Mexico. Don't ask me how I know this :)

The LCD Panel is on top.

The LCD Monitor is on the back.

I agree, I can't remember accessing that button underwater either. If I did, it was rarely.

Yes, they did switch two buttons on the bad. THat will make it interesting switching between bodies.

The LCD Panel is on top.

The LCD Monitor is on the back.

I agree, I can't remember accessing that button underwater either. If I did, it was rarely.

Yes, they did switch two buttons on the bad. THat will make it interesting switching between bodies.

i am so jealous, i have a 10d and when the 30D came out i spent ages trying to figure how to get it to work in my old housing, nice when they just fit like that, i guess its the 5d for me, would be nice if the old housing worked with that one also!!

Sorry, I'm confused. Are you talking about the large LCD or the small panel on top of the camera? I can honestly say I've never looked at the top panel while in the water. I changed the default for the LCD to show the info screen and just leave it on. Love those big white numbers. They did switch two buttons below the back LCD panel from the 40D to the 50D but you'll just need to remember or change the labeling. The only illumination button I can think of is for the top panel which I don't use unless I'm on a tripod on land.

Steve

Steve

Hey Steve,

How do you 'change the default for the LCD to show the info screen and just leave it on'? I see that if you hit the info button twice the info screen comes up, but turns off after a few seconds of inactivity ?

Could us plenty of advice on setting up my 40D if you've got other tricks up your sleeve you might want to share.

Thanks!

Mike

How do you 'change the default for the LCD to show the info screen and just leave it on'? I see that if you hit the info button twice the info screen comes up, but turns off after a few seconds of inactivity ?

Hi Mike,

Yes, one of the functions gives you the ability to change the default screen when you hit the info button. I love the big numbers for camera setup to be there. I'll check it tonight when I get home and get back to you.

Steve

In the menu, go to the 5th vertical, and select Info Button. If you change that to Shoot Function, it should work.

Could us plenty of advice on setting up my 40D if you've got other tricks up your sleeve you might want to share.

Hey Mike, Our Aussie friend has it right, The info screen will stay in place until you shoot then the histogram will come up(hit the info button twice with image displayed) until you hit the AF-ON or shutter again to bring up the info.

:offtopic: But you did ask. Tip for folks new to the 40D.

Do you use the 3 Camera user settings on the mode dial? That's a nice feature a lot of people don't seem to take advantage of. Shooting WA I've been playing with C1 for midwater CFWA, C2 for the sun in the shot, and C3 set to Av, AI servo focus, and continuous drive. Just in case my mermaid comes by. :P

Cheers,

Steve

Thanks Steve and Aussie for the info screen tip! That BIG print will be a lifesaver.

Steve, I'll have to get back to you on '3 Camera user settings'....when I review the manual.

Maybe we need a thread for 40D basic setup and tips...any volunteers?

Not sure if anyone uses the Live View feature of the 40D or 50D while underwater, but they are activated differently in the 2 cameras. With the 40D you push the "Set" button found in the middle of the wheel. With the 50D you push the "Print" button.

On the Ikelite housing for the 40D there is no button to activate the print button.

Not sure if anyone uses the Live View feature of the 40D or 50D while underwater, but they are activated differently in the 2 cameras. With the 40D you push the "Set" button found in the middle of the wheel. With the 50D you push the "Print" button.

On the Ikelite housing for the 40D there is no button to activate the print button.

There's not on the Aquatica housing either. I can't imagine anyone going from a 40D to a 50D really being that worried about not having access to live view though!

Ryan.

The Ikelite 50D replacement for 40D claimed to be the upgraded version but still does not cover the Multi-controller button...? I have no experience with the 40D early, Mine was the 50D but I encounter playback view after the shot, how you guys check the LCD which is only zoom at 1 single point, can't be adjust to any other area to actually viem on the photo....

Or maybe any other hidden button, which I not aware of, someone here can share. TQ

I dont think Ikelite does a control to handle that kind of button, so it was never going to be an upgrade, is it done on other housings Id be interested to see how they did it?

There isnt an alternative I could find in the manual either. I find Im generally able to zoom in enough to check focus but it is a pity not to have it, would be good for quickly changing focus point as well.

Otara

is it done on other housings Id be interested to see how they did it?
The Subal C40 housing has a control to enable the multi-controller to be used in the housing. The knob on the outside has a mark which you point the direction you want the multi-control to move, you then press it in and a bump on the control inside the housing moves the multi-control joystick in the direction you have selected.

Sponsors

Advertisements