Sign in to follow this  
beck22

Newbie finally chasing dream

Hey all, I've been wanting to start u/w video for years, but $$ has held me back. I've been lucky enough to snag a great job within my company making more $$ and working half the time, so now's the time to chase the dream. I've been researching around here but still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for, hopefully the pros can help me out. Here's what I'm looking for, and conditions:

I'm a warm, clear water diver all the way. Keys, Caribbean, east FL, about the "dirtiest" I'll get is Pensacola. That said, would I even need lights? Maybe just for the deeper wreck dives, the Grove, Duane, O, etc?

Some macro, but mostly just diving w/ the guys type of shots.

Budget for camera/housing is $5-6K.

Don't really know much about the benefits of manual vs. electronic housings, I would like to be able to see what I'm filming, but would also like to have as little electronics as possible for lower failure points.

I'm still learning about formats, but am not too worried about PC horsepower; I'm an IT geek and will be building a monster PC in the coming year, so I'm looking for best quality here.

When everything's said and done, I'd like to be able to watch my vids on my PS3 w/ blu ray on a 52" Samsung LCD HDTV.

I've read up a bit on the HC7, FX7, and would appreciate inputs on those, as well as other brands/models.

The ability to snap a high quality still mid-video is a plus also.

Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Budget for camera/housing is $5-6K.

Don't really know much about the benefits of manual vs. electronic housings, I would like to be able to see what I'm filming, but would also like to have as little electronics as possible for lower failure points.

Hello Beck22,

There is a fairly large number of people on this board that are using both the HC7/HC9 and the FX7/V1U.

In regards to your budget, you may consider the HC9, simply because it would allow you to get more for your money, in terms of optics and accessories.

The Gates housing for the HC9 is mechanical and has been very popular. You could get yourself a very nice setup with camera/lights/port and be within your budget. And you'll have a setup that will last a long time.

The ability to snap a high quality still mid-video is a plus also.

The Gates HC9 housing does have access to the photo button.

Lights are definitely recommended. Without them you are somewhat limited to shooting on "perfect condition days" in relatively shallow water.

I hope this has helped.

Got a guy over here I am helping to get into video and he got himself a Light and Motion for his HC9.

It's got a rear door LCD on it and the batteries go all day for him.

It has not missed a beat and he is very happy with it.

If you are diving in clear tropical water then using a filter and white balancing you will get great results and unlike using lights everything will be in colour.

Get a rig and learn to use it then later on get into lights unless you are doing deep or night dives lots.

Thank you very much gentlemen for your responses! I am starting to lean towards the HC9, due to price and people telling me that it's really not a bad cam at all, especially for a casual guy that just wants to take some nice vids to put up on the big screen at home - with the $$ I'd save by going with the HC9 over the FX7 combo, I could buy 2 46" Samsung LCD HDTVs! I appreciate the input!

We have the HC7 in a Gates housing. If you want examples of video shot and edited by complete novices you can go to our site and check out the Multi Media Shows. The Cocos video clip was shot natural light and using lights for the night stuff of course, this clip is hosted at Viemo so is "HD". The Yap and Chuuk slide shows have a couple of clips shot with the same set up but the posted video is low res version, it is all the ProShow will accept. Yap and Chuuk were are first trip with this set-up so results show that, and they shows themselves are mainly stills. www.aquabluedreams.com

HC7, Gates housing, Greenforce Squid 50 lights, Fathoms SWP25 port.

Edited by NWDiver

Have we Missed the point of this thread...

WHAT DREAM !!??????

What dream are you chasing... If its a dream of filming U/W video for a living then give up on the Cams suggested... You could spend $$$$ on video equipment and still get no where... HC7 / FX7...what !! they are consumer / holiday maker cams...

If your dream is to make a fantastic holiday video for friends and family then great... But if its for broadcast,,Sell your House / soul / family / life and then come back and ask...

We have lost the point of this forum.... Am i taking crazy pills !!!.... :offtopic:

Dive safe

Dean ( I know its a fri night and ive had a few reality pints, but 5-6K for a dream... I wish)B

Dean, you sound like you are a little socially excited there.

:blush::)

Sorry for the rant, but sometimes i think we live in a dream world... Well i do anyway.. :lol:-_-

Dive safe

Dean(back in the pub shortly)B

:blush::)

Sorry for the rant, but sometimes i think we live in a dream world... Well i do anyway.. :lol:-_-

Dive safe

Dean(back in the pub shortly)B

Dean, Dean, have another pint my friend! Sorry, I thought I was obvious when I said "diving with the guys types of shots". I don't want to be a pro by any means, I just want to have a good time with my buddies and churn out some great prosumer-esque videos to enjoy at home and with friends. After more research, I'm leaning towards the Sony SR12 with an Ikelite housing, that will leave me some budget for lights/ports, etc. I've also recently learned that I will need a MONSTER pc to edit all of this on, no problem, I'll build a multi=processor multi core goliath, after all, IT is my career so no worries there. I was looking at macs/final cut but man they're expensive! Cheers!

Dean, Dean, have another pint my friend! Sorry, I thought I was obvious when I said "diving with the guys types of shots". I don't want to be a pro by any means, I just want to have a good time with my buddies and churn out some great prosumer-esque videos to enjoy at home and with friends. After more research, I'm leaning towards the Sony SR12 with an Ikelite housing, that will leave me some budget for lights/ports, etc. I've also recently learned that I will need a MONSTER pc to edit all of this on, no problem, I'll build a multi=processor multi core goliath, after all, IT is my career so no worries there. I was looking at macs/final cut but man they're expensive! Cheers!

:blush: Don't listen to me (no one else does).. You crack on Bro.. All the best and good luck in whatever you do... :) .. I often will have a intoxicated rant now and again i'm like the down and out in the gutter shouting the odds... :lol:

Dive safe

Dean( sober for a while)B

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements