Sign in to follow this  
Chuck Jensen

Importing to Aperture 2

Im hoping someone can help me who uses Aperture 2 with a Nikon. When I shoot raw (NEF) and a fine quality JPEG at the same time, I am having difficulty importing them both into Aperture. It seems it only imports the NEF file. If I attempt to edit that file in Photoshop CS3, Photoshop wont allow me to save it as a JPG. Its not an option in the drop down to choose. All I have to choose from is Photoshop, CNEON, Large Doc Format, Photoshop PDF, Photoshop RAW, PNG, or TIFF. It seems either Aperture or Photoshop turns the duplicate it creates into a TIFF file. I cant save it from there into a JPEG?

I also wonder what happens to my original JPG file from the camera in Aperture. Im sure there's an explanation for it or Im not doing something right... any help would be appreciated..

Cheers

Chuck

Aperture imports jpgs but it does not show them by default.

I don't remember what command made them show up, but it had to be done for selected images. There is no option to just show all imported jpgs alongside nefs.

You can't save as a JPG? Are you saving a 16-bit image? That's the only reason I can think of that would make Photoshop refuse JPG save.

You can't save as a JPG? Are you saving a 16-bit image? That's the only reason I can think of that would make Photoshop refuse JPG save.

Thanks for the reply guys,

I import from a card reader into Aperture. I then open the file in Aperture and hit the edit button and it opens Photoshop. If I go to file save (Im using an Imac) then I notice its a tiff file (What has created the tiff file, I don't know) and it wont allow me to save it as a JPG in the drop down? Im almost thinking that Aperture converts the NEF to a TIFF when It creates the duplicate new image for photoshop. Im not sure about the bit image Eric. Where do I check that and what should it be set to?

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by Chuck Jensen

Thanks for the reply guys,

I import from a card reader into Aperture. I then open the file in Aperture and hit the edit button and it opens Photoshop. If I go to file save (Im using an Imac) then I notice its a tiff file (What has created the tiff file, I don't know) and it wont allow me to save it as a JPG in the drop down? Im almost thinking that Aperture converts the NEF to a TIFF when It creates the duplicate new image for photoshop. Im not sure about the bit image Eric. Where do I check that and what should it be set to?

Cheers,

Chuck

In the Aperture Preferences > Export menu you can choose the type of file you want Photoshop to save as TIFF, PSD etc. No you cannot save it as a JPEG from PS to Aperture, but it's probably good to save it as a PSD in Aperture which facilitates going back into PS keeping any layer structure etc. If you need a JPEG all you have to do is export it as a JPEG from Aperture.

If you do that, Aperture has done the conversion and opened the TIFF in Photoshop. If you save it as the same name (just hit "Save"), it will update the thumbnail in Aperture, and you will still be linked.

If you save AS, you will get a new file. And since it is likely 16-bit, you can't save it as a JPG.

In Photoshop, convert the image to 8-bit and then try to save it. (in Image->Mode)

Looks like you may need some Photoshop tutorials...

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements