Sign in to follow this  
eyu

Singapore Air's Carry-On Limits

Flying JFK to SIN on Singapore Air in two weeks in economy class and was wondering if I should try two carry on bags???

One backpack with camera, lens and laptop and one legal size carry on with Subal housing, ports and strobes.

Both are 35+ lbs each. I am not a PPS member, but I am a US Air StarAlliance Silver member.

Is Singapore Air enforcing the one carry on rule with a weight limit of 15 lbs??

If I am charged for the extra bag and/or weight, what are the charges??

What are our recent experiences?

thanks,

Elmer

Flying JFK to SIN on Singapore Air in two weeks in economy class and was wondering if I should try two carry on bags???

One backpack with camera, lens and laptop and one legal size carry on with Subal housing, ports and strobes.

Both are 35+ lbs each. I am not a PPS member, but I am a US Air StarAlliance Silver member.

Is Singapore Air enforcing the one carry on rule with a weight limit of 15 lbs??

If I am charged for the extra bag and/or weight, what are the charges??

What are your recent experiences?

thanks,

Elmer

I called Singapore Air and was told that the second carry-on would be $149.

I am paranoid about the possible loss of my gear with checking it in as baggage.

Your recent experiences are appreciated.

It depends on your departure city. Some are more strict than others. I took a Tenba messenger bag for the laptop, slr body and several lenses, and a rollaboard with foam inserts from a hard case inside for strobe, mask, change of clothes, set of batteries, focus light. I left from Vancouver, however. I did check my housing. I had no issues whatsoever. Remember your laptop does not count in your carry on allowance.

Cheers,

Marli

I flew Singapore air out of Newark in April. Had a small backpack < 15lbs. and a "legal" sized wheeled carry on at 40 lbs. Backpack was fine, but they made me put my wheeled carry on in the sizing cage and weighed it. Failing both tests, I had to check it. The sizing cage is tight. The 1/2" that the wheels stick out prevented it from fitting the cage.

Check the thread on scubadiving.com. It's a carry-on worst nightmare!

I flew Singapore air out of Newark in April. Had a small backpack < 15lbs. and a "legal" sized wheeled carry on at 40 lbs. Backpack was fine, but they made me put my wheeled carry on in the sizing cage and weighed it. Failing both tests, I had to check it. The sizing cage is tight. The 1/2" that the wheels stick out prevented it from fitting the cage.

Do you think if your carry-on would have fit into the sizing cage that Singapore Air would have allowed you to carry it on the plane??

Hey mtnman, got a link for that thread?

I'm heading out of LAX with them in a few weeks, so I'm very interested in all this...

Thanks,

Phil

Just got back from a wonderful dive trip to Bunaken and Lembeh Straits. Regarding Singapore Air, flew economy but was able to get around the carryon weighing thing by transiting at JFK. I check in by baggage in Philadelphia and only had to get my boarding pass at the JFK Singapore Air ticket counter, I just stood there pretending my backpack was filled with helium. But I saw most carryon bags getting weighed as I stood in line, some agents weighed the carryon bags and some did not. Did not have any problems with my very heavy carryon and my wife's almost as heavy carryon bag or my checked in bags (two of my checked bags became overweight) as the trip progressed. Besides Singapore Air, I flew SilkAir, JAL, Delta and American Airlines.

My take is that if you make it past the initial Singapore Air check in or if you fly business class you will be ok. Two of my friends fly business class with two heavy carryon bags each and did not have any problems.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements