Sign in to follow this  
Nige Wade

Tokina 10-17 in a subal d200

First impression of the Tokina .... It's AWSOME !! and as JB stated 'king sharp.

ARGH! And I have to wait until Saturday..........patience is not my strong suit. I was messing with my new lens around the house, and I cannot wait to get that sucker in the water....

Edited by vetdiver

Hi Nigel, excellent timing.... I just completed going through all my images from a 12 day trip to Halmahera in northern Indonesia earlier this year. Some superb reefs there and I used the 10-17 a LOT.

I was using it with the 15mm EXR and I got some of the best wide-angle images I have ever taken, BUT I had to keep the lens in it's sweet spot of f9.5 to f13 to get sharp results. Opening up greater than f8 was very dissapointing with really soft results. I will let you know when I get my image gallery for the trip set up...

I have just bought the 11-16mm Tokina and have been very pleased with it on land with a D300, but have yet to try it underwater with my D200 rig.

Hope this helps

Don

Well I managed a dive at an inland divesite today.

Took the Tokina 10-17 set at 10mm (the zoom gear was on my doorstep when I got back home) in the Subal behind the DPFE2 with no extesion ring.

So I thought I'd share my first impressions with all.

No serious vignetting but soft in the corners.

post-6945-1223483665.jpg

post-6945-1223483858.jpg

post-6945-1223483951.jpg

post-6945-1223484178.jpg

The one thing I did notice was that I had to pull my strobes back alot further than with the 10.5 FE.

I think that the lens pushed further into the domeport receives less cover from the port shade.

So in conclusion I've parted with more "wonga" and asked Steve to post me an 18mm extension ring on sale or return.

Nige

Hi Nigel, excellent timing.... I just completed going through all my images from a 12 day trip to Halmahera in northern Indonesia earlier this year. Some superb reefs there and I used the 10-17 a LOT.

I was using it with the 15mm EXR and I got some of the best wide-angle images I have ever taken, BUT I had to keep the lens in it's sweet spot of f9.5 to f13 to get sharp results. Opening up greater than f8 was very dissapointing with really soft results. I will let you know when I get my image gallery for the trip set up..

Nice one Don,

I,m absolutely convinced that an EXR is the way to go and the 18mm will be useful for use with the 10.5 Nikkor + Kenko teleconverter as well.

Interesting that you've found the sweet spot to be greater than f8 I will experiment on that basis and share my findings.

Nige

Not so fast, Nige! Spend even more money (Go on, you know you want to) and get a 1.4TC and use that with your 10.5mm. A whole new world of interesting images opportunities awaits....

I am bit of a lurker here on WetPixel but let me jump here, if I may, and ask what effect you are looking for using a TC with a super wide? What am I missing?

Something obvious I am sure - suffering age driven myopia.

Thanks

Paul

I am bit of a lurker here on WetPixel but let me jump here, if I may, and ask what effect you are looking for using a TC with a super wide? What am I missing?

Something obvious I am sure - suffering age driven myopia.

Thanks

Paul

Hey Paul the "Lurker"

The inovative Dr. Alex Mustard has pioneered a technique he calls 'Macro Wideangle' using a 1.5 Kenko Teleconverter between a Nikkor 10.5mm F/E and camera :blink:

Some examples can be found in Alex's excellent book 'Reefs Revealed' and a full article in Underwater Photo Magazine issue # 35 UWP

This is a way to justify spending loadsa Wonga on an extension ring for your new Tokina 10-17 and then put it to multiple use and keep the 10.5 instead of ebaying it and keeping the baliffs from smashing down your front door.

Age driven myopia? ...... Brilliant analagy!!

Hope this info is of use

Nige

Yep, its a technique sure worth playing with - even topside. You can get very close to a foreground object - within a couple of centimetres - and have a massive, in focus background. Its a great way of showing an object in its surroundings. Its a technique that has been used very successfully by small animal and landscape photographers.

Without detracting from Alex's fantastic ability (a well deserved nod in the good Doc's direction), I don't think he pioneered it. Its been around some time but the underwater community have latched on to it (or maybe re-latched on to it) in recent times.

If you already have a 10.5mm lens a 1.4TC is a relatively small investment (makes a change eh!?!) to offer yet another series of photo options - and, as I say, topside too.

I'd agree with Tim's comments. I did not know it at the time, when I was trying to get this technique to work - but it had actually been in use on land for a long time - if not exactly a common technique. This year I encouraged my friend Andrea Ferrari to try it and characteristically he wrote a nice article that included some interesting land history on the technique on DPG.

I have noticed that whenever someone tries to come up with something new in underwater photography that they tend to get greeted by two responses:

This has been around for ages

This doesn't work

I have actually seen discussions here on Wetpixel where people trying to break new ground have had both reactions from the same poster! "Something is a well estabilished technique and still doesn't work!"

Of course, the challenge of any new technique is not trying it, but getting it to work. Getting the technique to produce new images - that you couldn't get before. Images that make people go wow. Win competitions and get published.

For example with the "macro-wide angle" sticking a TC on a fisheye in not the whole solution. Lighting is the real the challenge and this has many consequences - on port selection and on strobe setup, apertures and shutterspeeds. These are not issues that a land photographer would have to contend with.

In this case I certainly was not aware of anyone else trying it underwater successfully, or realizing its full potential. Of course I am sure there is someone somewhere who did. But they never got the images out there. Or much more importantly they weren't willing to share their findings with the rest of the underwater photography community.

Alex

I'd agree with Tim's comments. I did not know it at the time, when I was trying to get this technique to work - but it had actually been in use on land for a long time - if not exactly a common technique. This year I encouraged my friend Andrea Ferrari to try it and characteristically he wrote a nice article that included some interesting land history on the technique on DPG.

I have noticed that whenever someone tries to come up with something new in underwater photography that they tend to get greeted by two responses:

This has been around for ages

This doesn't work

Alex

A long. long time ago, when I was young, I acted as a lighting cameraman for director Barry Kinsman (previously Ridley Scott's editor) for an Audi TV commercial. We were up a mountain in the French Alps. He suggested an idea and I said I thought it wouldn't work. He retorted that we should do it anyway because if it didn't work it didn't matter and if it did, everyone would think he was a genius for trying it! I leaned a lot that day.

Hey Paul the "Lurker"

The inovative Dr. Alex Mustard has pioneered a technique he calls 'Macro Wideangle' using a 1.5 Kenko Teleconverter between a Nikkor 10.5mm F/E and camera :blink:

Some examples can be found in Alex's excellent book 'Reefs Revealed' and a full article in Underwater Photo Magazine issue # 35 UWP

This is a way to justify spending loadsa Wonga on an extension ring for your new Tokina 10-17 and then put it to multiple use and keep the 10.5 instead of ebaying it and keeping the baliffs from smashing down your front door.

Age driven myopia? ...... Brilliant analagy!!

Hope this info is of use

Nige

I thought that maybe I should not ask this question because I am probably extremely dumb and missing something. I am not sure I see the value of the 10.5 with 1.4x teleconvertor now that we have the Tokina 10-17. (Effectively the 1.4 makes the 10.5 similar to a close focusing 15mm fisheye on a DX camera) Though I have no 'macro' to show, I do have images like the one here at 17mm on the Tokina, where the animal is almost touching the dome, anyone who has the Tokina knows that this lens will focus on the domeport. Is there something I am missing?

Probably Alex has a good reason, and I'll be upset that I sold my 10.5 :fool:

post-5478-1223812785.jpg

Edited by loftus

I thought that maybe I should not ask this question because I am probably extremely dumb and missing something. I am not sure I see the value of the 10.5 with 1.4x teleconvertor now that we have the Tokina 10-17. (Effectively the 1.4 makes the 10.5 similar to a close focusing 15mm fisheye on a DX camera) Though I have no 'macro' to show, I do have images like the one here at 17mm on the Tokina, where the animal is almost touching the dome, anyone who has the Tokina knows that this lens will focus on the domeport. Is there something I am missing?

Probably Alex has a good reason, and I'll be upset that I sold my 10.5 :)

Did anyone respond to this post? I too am wondering if I should feel regret at ebaying my 10.5 after getting the Tokina. They I naturally have to ask about using the tele on the Tokina.

Andy

Did anyone respond to this post? I too am wondering if I should feel regret at ebaying my 10.5 after getting the Tokina. They I naturally have to ask about using the tele on the Tokina.

Andy

And why couldn't you use the teleconverter with the Tokina and get the same effect?

Alex? Help us oh great one.

Andy

And why couldn't you use the teleconverter with the Tokina and get the same effect?

You can, but with many housings you cannot zoom the Tokina once it is on a TC. Plus because the Tokina is a slower lens than the Nikon, with the TC on there the AF performance is not so great.

See here:

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...27414&st=24

Alex

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements