Sign in to follow this  
divrndeep

Reducing RAW photo to 5 MB

When trying to reduce Raw image files into a specific dimension for a photo contest online, I find it impossible to have the longest length at the required 2000-6000 pixels and simultaneously have the entire file at 5 MB or less. How is this done?

without reading the contest rules (not posted) i'd imagine that your submission should be a JPG and you should submit/have available the

RAW image as proof that your jpg is not manipulated.

a jpg from a large megapixel camera will come out under 5 meg no problem.

When trying to reduce Raw image files into a specific dimension for a photo contest online, I find it impossible to have the longest length at the required 2000-6000 pixels and simultaneously have the entire file at 5 MB or less. How is this done?

Hi,

You will need to convert your pictures to another format-probably JPG. For internet use, you can lower the resolution to 72 ppi and it is best if you convert to an sRGB colorspace. All of these will help reduce the size of the file. If you are using photoshop or lightroom, you can specify size in either the image>image size or export options respectively. Both of these options will give you an idea of the ultimate file size when you are re-sizing as well.

5mb is still a big file for online use!

Hope that helps!

Adam

I cropped, changed to PSD, JPG, tried Bicubics/ Bilinears, changed dpi, pixels, cut it to 8 x 10, YOU NAME IT. You cannot have the longest length of the photo between 2000 and 6000 pixels AND have a 5 MB file or less to submit. I have tried every combination for over 4 hours.............no luck yet.

Here are the rules that I must follow:

8/6/2008 © NCUPS - 2 -

Digital Entries:

1 Images may be burned onto a writable CD or DVD and mailed along with the signed entry form and correct

payment. We will not accept email entries. Alternatively, entrants may upload still images using the UPLOAD

link on the NCUPS SEA web page.

2 Write your name and e-mail address on the CD or DVD.

3 All digital entries need to be in JPEG format.

4 Scanned images are accepted.

5 All images will be judged on a large monitor and should be sized to be between 2000 and 6000 pixels in

the longest dimension. Please limit your images to a maximum file size of 5,000KB (5MB).

6 It is recommended that images be saved in the highest JPEG quality for optimum viewing.

7 Images should be saved in AdobeRGB 1998 or sRGB color space.

8 File name format:

Skill level: nov or adv (nov = novice, adv = advanced)

Category: macro, wa, ca, mc, cre (wa = wide-angle, ca = California, mc = marine

conservation, cre = creative)

Entrant name: first name last name (ex. janesmith)

Number 1-5 if entering more than one entry per category.

File name example: adv_macro_janesmith1.jpeg

(Underscore between file name components and use lower case.)

9 Images without an entry form will not be judged.

10 There will be novice and advanced skill levels in the digital categories and one skill level in the creative

digital category.

SKILL LEVELS:

Novice: Any amateur photographer who has been taking underwater photographs for two years

or less, and has not won ANY best of, or first places in a major photography competition.

A novice may enter the advanced skill level if they so desire.

Advanced: Any other amateur photographer.

Edited by divrndeep

You cannot have the longest length of the photo between 2000 and 6000 pixels AND have a 5 MB file or less to submit. I have tried every combination for over 4 hours.............no luck yet.

Sure you can! You're probably looking at the uncompressed file size in your image editing program. Try saving the image with the criteria and then clicking on the saved image icon and: if you're on a mac ... apple+i will show you the info menu and you can see the file size... or from a pc, right click on the icon and go to properties and it will show you the file size.

Good luck

Mike

Sure you can! You're probably looking at the uncompressed file size in your image editing program. Try saving the image with the criteria and then clicking on the saved image icon and: if you're on a mac ... apple+i will show you the info menu and you can see the file size... or from a pc, right click on the icon and go to properties and it will show you the file size.

Good luck

Mike

Criminey !!

I was under the impression that reducing the image in RAW or PSD (under Image tab), saving the reduced photo, then opening the newly reduced JPG file would show me the reduced size I had just created. It is not doing what I had expected it to do. I was opening the reduced file in CS3, & viewing Image size tab rather than looking at image info with double-click or apple + I. I would not have intuitively gone that route since changing the image size seems like it should show up in the "Image Size" tab. Ya know?

Thanks for that tiny but hugely important piece of the puzzle.

Karen

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements