Pfiffikus25

Thick gloves and the Inon Z-240

Hi!

I recently switched from P&S to dSLR and I use one Inon Z-240 at the moment. Previously it was no problem to use the strobe with thick gloves, since I used it in sTTL with the P&S camera. So basically only on/off and some compenstaion once and a while. But now I plan to shoot the strobe in manual, and winter is setting in. So with the thick gloves it will be difficult to adjust the exposure for every shot I take.

Has anyone experience in modification of the little knobs of the Inon Z-240, so that it gets easier to manipulate them with thick gloves. I usually use 7mm, 3-finger gloves. I also read somewhere that Hugyfot makes replacement knobs for the Inon strobe suitable for cold water. But I do not know where I read that, nor can I find any information that these knobs exist.

Thanks for your help, Wolfgang

Hi, I found a nice easy solution to this problem, and it won't cost you very much.

I have put cable ties on the knobs, then cut the excess away to the point where they don't interfere with the movement of the knob.

Essentially you have attached a small lever to the knob. I find that the smaller cable ties work best as they grip the knob better. They also come in handy when working at night.

Once and a while they come off, just put another one on, I always carry spares anyway as they are galactically useful, like duct (gaffer) tape.

Hope that helps.

RB

I have put cable ties on the knobs, then cut the excess away to the point where they don't interfere with the movement of the knob.

Essentially you have attached a small lever to the knob. I find that the smaller cable ties work best as they grip the knob better. They also come in handy when working at night.

Once and a while they come off, just put another one on, I always carry spares anyway as they are galactically useful, like duct (gaffer) tape.

Hi!

Good idea ... got those essential diving parts always with me (cable ties in various sizes and duct tape). Saved quite some dives :)

Will try tonight!

Any other experiments out there?

Wolfgang

I like your cable tie idea, though I don't use more than 5mm gloves (thankfully!!). Thanks for the tip!!

I'd like to find a really good way to illuminate the Z-240 controls. Presently, my thinking is a 'beta light' attached to the battery compartment. Any other ideas? For me, shining a dive lamp dosn't work...

I like your cable tie idea, though I don't use more than 5mm gloves (thankfully!!). Thanks for the tip!!

I'd like to find a really good way to illuminate the Z-240 controls. Presently, my thinking is a 'beta light' attached to the battery compartment. Any other ideas? For me, shining a dive lamp dosn't work...

Don't know what a beta light ist, but I would recommend a little LED lamp which can be fixed to the mask band. They are very small these days. This way you have a bit of light for your camera wherever you look at.

I use a canister lamp myself with a goodman handle for the head, and if I am in "macro mode" then I just hang the head around my neck. This gives good light to look at camera and strobe.

Cheers, Wolfgang

Hey Timmy,

What about one of those lights that they use to replace the knob on your first stage?

I think that it is Apollo that makes them. Just switch 'em on of a night time and it lets your buddy know where you are.

One of those knobs would be about as big as the Inon battery pack cover. Just glue it on?

Maybe. . . . :blink:

Bruce...

For knob improvement, try pushing a short length of rubber tubing over the knob.

I normally use the Z-240 in conjunction with thick drysuit gloves. I find that it works OK. The idea with a cablebinder is not bad.

I am using a little, 3W, lamp from OMS that can be Wrist mounted, also as a Head torch. It is pretty convienient.

/Erik

After struggling with those knobs, I've finally gone over the dry gloves. They don't have to be expensive and make working your camera and strobe much easier.

Jack

I use dry gloves with mine and have no problems at all with them. Did not even think about it when using them.

Cheers

Todd

Sponsors

Advertisements