Sign in to follow this  
wetpixel

Downtime, May 9th, 2002

Hey guys. Sorry about the downtime today!

From our lovely web hosting service:

Our Response [Tech: Randolph] 05/09/2002 12:18 PM

« Status: Final »

-----------------------------

Your account is suspended temporarily as we are investigating load spikes on the server that are hindering performance drastically. Once we have concluded our investigation your site may be reactivated promptly this afternoon. Your site has been tagged as an high usage site that contributes to multiple high level load spikes. We will be monitoring the load while your site is suspended. We apologize for any inconvience this may cause however this is necessary to ensure the continuity of the server you are provided. If you have any information that could assist us in our investigation of your site, please let us know. You will be contacted this afternoon with more information concerning the suspension. Additionally we thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation.  

Our Response -----------------------------

[Tech: Randolph] 05/09/2002 05:53 PM

« Status: Final »

-----------------------------

Your site has been reactivated. We located the resource problem on the server. We would like to thank for your cooperation and patience. If you have any difficulties or questions, please let us know.

Eric,

Can you PM me? Who is your webhost?

Cheers

James

Whoever it is - shouldn't they announce a downtime BEFORE suspending the site ?

Sabine

Eric,

I have have a good friend who is a real tech head and runs a really good server. He's in my gaming league, and hosts my home page.

If you want I could give you his name if you want to look at some alternatives. I am not sure what he charges, but I can pretty much guarantee he won't simply pull the plug on you!

email me with your particulars if you want, and I'll be happy to talk to him on your behalf, to get the ball rolling.

Bob

I've been in the same situation as Eric before with my site www.reefs.org

Our bulletin board has over 7,000 subscribers.

I don't think that in Eric's position, I'd want to go with someone's friend on a "free" server. I'd much rather go with a proven provider that I have to pay a litttle bit more for. Someone who can guarentee 99.0% uptime and who isn't going to just up and turn the server off or is not around (on vacation for example) and won't do tech support.

You can understand why he would feel this way I'm sure. Also everyone should know that a good webhost costs real money. Money that Wetpixel isn't currently generating (I for one don't see any/many ads, do you?).

I would estimate that a good reliable webhost for this site (with mySQL, etc) is going to cost $60 per month giving us room to grow.

I'm sure everyone has an opinion on this topic...well, here's mine...:)

I would much rather Wetpixel has a "Budget" for webhosting. Rather than trying to get it for free. You get what you pay for.

Cheers

James

I must have given the wrong impression James. My friend runs a server network company. It is not, and would not be free. From what I have seen it is an excellent small company that he is building and someone that Eric might be willing to work a deal out with.

Didn't mean to imply he would do it for free or that it was simply an at home server hobby.

Gotcha Bob. Sounds good.

Cheers

James

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements