Sign in to follow this  
divebumwannabe

Canon 40D Ikelite housing for Canon 50D Body?

Hey Gang,

I have the Ikelite housing for the Canon 40D and thought it should work fine for the Canon 50D, right? Everything that I heard says that the 50D is mechanically the same as the 40D, which make you think the UW housing should be the same. I called Ikelite today and asked them to respond to this question, and their first reaction was, "We are doing a completely new housing for the 50D"... I about dropped a load when I heard that! heh... My follow up was, "can you please tell me why you would make a new body for the same mechanical features?"... They put me on hold for 5 min and then came back with, "We can't answer any questions yet as we are still evaluating the 50D"...

Has anyone looked into this issue, or possibly tried a 50D in their 40D housings? Everything I understand about the 50D is that it is mechanically identical to the 40D. However, there are some slight function changes to the feature buttons, etc... But the remapped features don't impact the housing buttons that contact the body...

Any feedback?

Cheers

Derek...

Has anyone looked into this issue, or possibly tried a 50D in their 40D housings?

Hi Derek,

The 50D works in the Sea&Sea 40D housing. http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26895&hl= I can't see how the Ike would be any different. Enjoy your new camera!

Steve

Hi Derek,

The 50D works in the Sea&Sea 40D housing. http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=26895&hl= I can't see how the Ike would be any different. Enjoy your new camera!

Steve

Hey Steve,

I have not parted with any money on a 50D yet, I'm just in the investigation phase! Are you running with a 50D now? Do you notice any improvements over the 40D? I like the idea of the AF control that the 50D gives you for front/back lens focus issues. I do have issues with the 40D in the front/back focus, especially if the subject is beyond 10ft or so, doing top side pics and zoomed out. You need a real good high contrast edge for this camera to focus well, as I'm sure you may have found also.

I was thinking of a second body and initially was thinking of another 40D of course... However, low and behold a 50D has come out! Wow, where did that come from!?

I just looked at the link you set me regarding the Sea&Sea... Looks like it is working in that housing and you have not made any jump yet either! :blink:

Cheers

Derek...

Edited by divebumwannabe

I do have issues with the 40D in the front/back focus, especially if the subject is beyond 10ft or so, doing top side pics and zoomed out.

Hi Derek,

Your right in that a spare body is on my list and I love having the choice of the 50D. I can wait a little while and let the early adopters try it out. Your focus issues intrigue me. I haven't had any problems at all with mine. I use Tim Jackson's focus charts to verify I have a good working system. I have noticed some rumblings on the blogs that a few folks are having focus issues. You might want to check out your camera and send it to Canon to repair if it doesn't check out.

Good luck,

Steve

Hi Derek,

Steve

I was just looking at the 50D manual and it seems to me that the only way to use Live View is to use the button that corresponds to the 40D's print command button. On the 40D you can of course start Live Action with the Set button. I dont think any 40D housing manufacturers made access to the print button ( Subal certainly didn't) so it seems to me that we will be out of luck if we want to use Live View with a 50D in a 40D housing - or am I missing something? Not that Live View is a big deal underwater but I was looking forward to try the new features anyway.

Hi Derek,

Your right in that a spare body is on my list and I love having the choice of the 50D. I can wait a little while and let the early adopters try it out. Your focus issues intrigue me. I haven't had any problems at all with mine. I use Tim Jackson's focus charts to verify I have a good working system. I have noticed some rumblings on the blogs that a few folks are having focus issues. You might want to check out your camera and send it to Canon to repair if it doesn't check out.

Good luck,

Steve

Hi Steve,

thanks so much for the focus doc! I will go through that and report back. In general the focus system works fairly well when I'm zoomed in and relatively close to subject, but the AF does something completely else (front/back focus) when I'm zoomed out and subject is not close. It is as though the camera is playing on depth of field or something? I have also read other's reports on this, but I've also noticed it was not just the 40D, but other Canon SLR's also...

On a different topic, I did purchase the Tokina 10-17mm and have played with it a bit. I did some testing and comparing to the Canon 10-22mm and I've been meaning to report on this, but have gotten lost into crazy busy... However, overall, not bad results on the Tokina...

Cheers

Derek...

I was just looking at the 50D manual and it seems to me that the only way to use Live View is to use the button that corresponds to the 40D's print command button.

I think you're right Andre, great catch, your note sent me scurrying off to find a 50D manual and it looks like they changed the actuation of live view to the print button. Guess they couldn't leave well enough alone. Not sure if there is the ability to move the function to another button. It wouldn't keep me from sliding a 50D into my housing since I don't use live view but it's nice to know. Thanks!

Steve

I was just looking at the 50D manual and it seems to me that the only way to use Live View is to use the button that corresponds to the 40D's print command button. On the 40D you can of course start Live Action with the Set button. I dont think any 40D housing manufacturers made access to the print button ( Subal certainly didn't) so it seems to me that we will be out of luck if we want to use Live View with a 50D in a 40D housing - or am I missing something? Not that Live View is a big deal underwater but I was looking forward to try the new features anyway.

Thanks for the feedback Andre... I came from a Olympus 5050, which of course I always used the LCD for composing. One of the reasons I left that camera was the shutter delay, which drove me nuts! One of my main draws to the 40D was the Live View, and the funny thing is I have only used it once in all my UW dives now! The problem with Live View is that you need to focus the camera with one finger (thumb actuated on the Ikelite), then go to your shutter trigger, which does not work all that great UW... :fool: Unless the water is completely still you can lose some focus or composition from surge/current when trying to set off the shutter after you focus. Don't get me wrong it does work reasonably well, but sometimes the delay of having a two step process kills the shot. In my case, what was important before (Live View) now has no bearing for me... Funny how that is... So good, the Ikelite 40D housing will work fine, I just can't expect Live View to work... That's OK! :blink:

Cheers

Derek...

Hey Gang,

I have the Ikelite housing for the Canon 40D and thought it should work fine for the Canon 50D, right? Everything that I heard says that the 50D is mechanically the same as the 40D, which make you think the UW housing should be the same. I called Ikelite today and asked them to respond to this question, and their first reaction was, "We are doing a completely new housing for the 50D"... I about dropped a load when I heard that! heh... My follow up was, "can you please tell me why you would make a new body for the same mechanical features?"... They put me on hold for 5 min and then came back with, "We can't answer any questions yet as we are still evaluating the 50D"...

Has anyone looked into this issue, or possibly tried a 50D in their 40D housings? Everything I understand about the 50D is that it is mechanically identical to the 40D. However, there are some slight function changes to the feature buttons, etc... But the remapped features don't impact the housing buttons that contact the body...

Any feedback?

Cheers

Derek...

The body and button layout are identical. I dove with my week old 50d in my Seatool 40D housing yesterday. The only problem is the fact that as everyone has pointed out that the print button (useless u/w) now activates live view on the 50D. I am trying to see if there is a way to get around this with but have not yet found a way. This change will require manufacturers to add a new button. I suspect Ikelite and others could do this in very short order and you might be able to send your 40D housing to the factory to have the modification done.

The body and button layout are identical. I dove with my week old 50d in my Seatool 40D housing yesterday. The only problem is the fact that as everyone has pointed out that the print button (useless u/w) now activates live view on the 50D. I am trying to see if there is a way to get around this with but have not yet found a way. This change will require manufacturers to add a new button. I suspect Ikelite and others could do this in very short order and you might be able to send your 40D housing to the factory to have the modification done.

Thanks divedoc...

For the heck of it I called Ikelite and asked if they would add the button to the 40D housing.. The Rep's response was a bit of a surprise, but she said, "We don't add buttons"... I looked at what it would take and it looks like an easy job, you would need the button hardware, etc.. I'll have to look closer, but it does not look like a problem to update this. For those that get squeamish doing this sort of thing, perhaps there is a third party that reworks Ikelites housing?

Derek...

A while back I considered adding a button to an Ike housing and discussed this with the UK distributor. I recall they recommended a certain 'procedure' to safely drill the required hole so it worth checking this first. If you were in the UK I'd suggest talking to Kevin at Aquaphot and have him do the job...

A while back I considered adding a button to an Ike housing and discussed this with the UK distributor. I recall they recommended a certain 'procedure' to safely drill the required hole so it worth checking this first. If you were in the UK I'd suggest talking to Kevin at Aquaphot and have him do the job...

I looked closer at my 40D Ikelite housing and the work to add the 50D LiveView push pin looks doable, but you would need some good tools. From what I can see you would need to make three distinct holes, all with the the exact same center. The three holes enclose different parts of the push pin hardware. The largest hole supports and houses a spring, which retracts the the pin once you pushed it in. The second hole, which is mid way and very shallow, supports the water sealing O ring. Last, the smallest diameter hole supports the push pin itself. If you had a drill press, two flat ended drill bits (sprig hole, O ring hole) and a drill bit for the pin hole, you could do the required drilling on the 40D housing. Some experience with a micrometer would get you the required depth of the two critical hole depths, using the adjacent "menu" pin hole dimensions as your reference. Of course you need the pin hardware to complete this project, and I'm assuming Ikelite would sell this to us. On the short term I'll stick with looking through the viewfinder if I go to the 50D body. However, if you have some good skill with the above tools this is a doable job.

Cheers

Derek...

Hi Derek,

The boys at Backscatter might take on something like this. They do a great job modifying housings for different viewfinders and they carry Ikelite products. Might be worth an email, they are just up the road from you in Monterey.

Steve

Edited by Steve Williams

Derek,

Ikelite may offer a new 40D/50D housing, however the housing electronics must allow full TTL compatibility with both camera models. If this is achieved, we will likely offer an upgrade for the 40D housings. The button for live view will of course be added.

We will post the latest updates on our website www.ikelite.com.

Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Derek,

Ikelite may offer a new 40D/50D housing, however the housing electronics must allow full TTL compatibility with both camera models. If this is achieved, we will likely offer an upgrade for the 40D housings. The button for live view will of course be added.

We will post the latest updates on our website www.ikelite.com.

Regards,

Brett Foster - Ikelite

Thanks Steve and Brett..

I did call Backscatter and they will not do this type of case modifying... This does not surprise me as it would require some competent machining skills. In other words whipping out our home drill kit will not do the trick...

Brett thanks for the update... I think folks are trying to avoid having to buy a new case for simply a single button problem. My understanding is that the eTTL is identical for both the 40D and 50D..

Cheers

Derek...

I did call Backscatter and they will not do this type of case modifying... This does not surprise me as it would require some competent machining skills. In other words whipping out our home drill kit will not do the trick...

Derek, I don't think you're familar with the work Backscatter does machining housings to accept larger viewfinders. Trust me, they don't do that by "whipping out their drill " :) . If they don't want to touch it I'm betting they have a good reason. For you to infer that they are incompetent is unfair.

Steve

Derek, I don't think you're familar with the work Backscatter does machining housings to accept larger viewfinders. Trust me, they don't do that by "whipping out their drill " :) . If they don't want to touch it I'm betting they have a good reason. For you to infer that they are incompetent is unfair.

Steve

Hey Steve,

it is funny how things get lost in translation, or when you don't know someone personally how the wrong meaning can come from it... You should go to Australia sometime, everyone talks in a very abbreviated speak... Its great... :) Trust me I have no intention of inferring that Backscatter is incompetent. I do admit that when I read over what I wrote it does sound that way a bit, but this was not what my meaning was!... Sorry to anyone that may have thought this was my meaning. To be exactly clear on this subject; I have been into Backscatter many times and I have never seen any serious machining tools, thus I was not surprised that they did not do precision house drilling for button add ons. Of course this is a big assumption to what tools they may have behind their curtains to do some special viewfinder work. Also, I'm sure any such work to the housing that was not done by Ikelite would void any warranty on that housing, and this could be a possible reason why they don't do this type of work? This is just another assumption.... Next time I'm in Backscatter I'll ask them personally what the shop is capable of doing, and then I'll be properly informed. Second, when I made the comment, "whipping out the drill", etc... I was really saying that some respect needs to be given to this project, and not to take it likely.

I was just being lazy and threw the information down. Bottom line, Ikelite and Backscatter do not add Ikelite case function buttons. If you decide to do the job, make sure you have the right tools and you give proper respect to the job. This last statement is not coming from ignorance as I have worked in a machine shop and have a good idea of what is needed.

Last, if any of you knew me personally you would know immediately it was never my style to slam anyone...

Cheers

Derek...

Edited by divebumwannabe

You should go to Australia sometime, everyone talks in a very abbreviated speak...

I reccon your havin a go at us Aussies now! Anyone else you want to give a hard time?

Edited by aussie

Hey Steve,

it is funny how things get lost in translation, or when you don't know someone personally how the wrong meaning can come from it... You should go to Australia sometime, everyone talks in a very abbreviated speak... Its great... :) Trust me I have no intention of inferring that Backscatter is incompetent. I do admit that when I read over what I wrote it does sound that way a bit, but this was not what my meaning was!... Sorry to anyone that may have thought this was my meaning. To be exactly clear on this subject; I have been into Backscatter many times and I have never seen any serious machining tools, thus I was not surprised that they did not do precision house drilling for button add ons. Of course this is a big assumption to what tools they may have behind their curtains to do some special viewfinder work. Also, I'm sure any such work to the housing that was not done by Ikelite would void any warranty on that housing, and this could be a possible reason why they don't do this type of work? This is just another assumption.... Next time I'm in Backscatter I'll ask them personally what the shop is capable of doing, and then I'll be properly informed. Second, when I made the comment, "whipping out the drill", etc... I was really saying that some respect needs to be given to this project, and not to take it likely.

I was just being lazy and threw the information down. Bottom line, Ikelite and Backscatter do not add Ikelite case function buttons. If you decide to do the job, make sure you have the right tools and you give proper respect to the job. This last statement is not coming from ignorance as I have worked in a machine shop and have a good idea of what is needed.

Last, if any of you knew me personally you would know immediately it was never my style to slam anyone...

Cheers

Derek...

Reads like you have bit of practise "whipping out the drill" - or have I made the wrong assumption ?

Edited by pmooney

Trust me I have no intention of inferring that Backscatter is incompetent. I do admit that when I read over what I wrote it does sound that way a bit, but this was not what my meaning was!... Sorry to anyone that may have thought this was my meaning.

No problem partner, I'm sensitive to the fact that a few thousand people are going to read the posts here over time and it's easy to make a negative comment that some folks could misunderstand. It's also easy to forget that there are people behind all these companies and that the overwhelming majority are busting there butts to make the customer (us) happy.

To be exactly clear on this subject; I have been into Backscatter many times and I have never seen any serious machining tools,

Not sure if they do the machining in house or sub it out, but I know they do great work. Next time you're in Monterrey say hi to Berkley and the gang for me.

I'll be happy and privileged to buy the first boat drink when we run into each other at a mahogany dropoff sometime. :)

Hey Aussie, for the record the first time I got off a plane in Sydney, I was struggling to understand what everyone around me was saying. I turned to my wife as we walked through customs and asked, "What language are they speaking"? She looked at me as only your wife can and said "it's Engish", (dummy).

Sorry Aussie can't take a shot at you. In my experience Australia has the friendliest, most giving people on the planet. Well....., except maybe for Bruce. :)

Cheers!

Steve

I reccon your havin a go at us Aussies now! Anyone else you want to give a hard time?

Oh please tell me you're kidding?! I loved Australia and I loved the people, and my comment was a complement! The Aussies are some of the nicest people I've had the pleasure of being around. In fact, I'm trying to figure out how to get back to Australia for vacation! I felt the Aussies could say a lot with a few words, what is wrong with that? Heh... If you are serious you must not be from Australia! :)

Please tell me that trying to gain knowledge in UW photography is not going to result in political correctness and miss understanding? Please tell me this is not so?

I'm a very sensitive guy and you are starting to hurt my feelings now! :)

Cheers Mate!

Derek...

Edited by divebumwannabe

Reads like you have bit of practise "whipping out the drill" - or have I made the wrong assumption ?

Gotta love it! Well yes I do, if you must know. I have a lot of practice at a lot of things... :)

No problem partner, I'm sensitive to the fact that a few thousand people are going to read the posts here over time and it's easy to make a negative comment that some folks could misunderstand. It's also easy to forget that there are people behind all these companies and that the overwhelming majority are busting there butts to make the customer (us) happy.

I do understand and it would never be my intent to bite the hand that feeds me...

Not sure if they do the machining in house or sub it out, but I know they do great work. Next time you're in Monterrey say hi to Berkley and the gang for me. I'll be happy and privileged to buy the first boat drink when we run into each other at a mahogany dropoff sometime. :)

I will be seeing Berkley in 3 weeks, and we will be on a boat together going to the Galapagos Islands! :D I will let him know that I created an international incident over my loose lips! :P I hope I do run into you someday, you seem like a very decent man.

Hey Aussie, for the record the first time I got off a plane in Sydney, I was struggling to understand what everyone around me was saying. I turned to my wife as we walked through customs and asked, "What language are they speaking"? She looked at me as only your wife can and said "it's Engish", (dummy).

When I was in Australia for 3 weeks a couple years ago, I found the folks to be kind and genuine. I never thought I'd be insulting Aussie from Brisbane from this side of the globe.. Wow, a truly international incident I've created here! :)

Sorry Aussie can't take a shot at you. In my experience Australia has the friendliest, most giving people on the planet. Well....., except maybe for Bruce. :D

Cheers!

Steve

It sounds like I need to buy a lot of beers here!? When and where can I start on this?

Cheers

Derek...

Oh please tell me you're kidding?!

Course I was! No hard feelings mate. Keep forgetting our sense of humour is a little different!

Hey Steve, don't worry about not being able to understand us, we have the same problem with Americans from the Southern states (who are of course great ppl too).

Enough of this, I'm going for a dive (new camera, wahoo!).

Ryan.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements