Sign in to follow this  
m.eppoliti

Akona pro camera carry on roller

I was thinking about getting rid of my Pelican hard case and getting someting a little less obvious, and this Akona bag seemed to fit the bill.

Has anyone used one of these? If so some feed back would be great.

Thanks,

Michael

The new Akona Pro Camera Roller is a great bag for carry on and depending on the components, a full DSLR system will fit for carry on. A couple of my other favorite carry ons are the Think Tank Airport Acceleration (V2.0 just came out), and also the Airport International V2.0

I looked at the Akona bag and my Dell 15.4" widescreen didn't fit in it. Fancy carry one, but any of the other rigs from Lowepro, Think Tank or Tamrac would work just as well.

S.

I went ahead and bought one of these bags yesterday, but I am going to return it.

There is no problem with the quality, in fact it is exceptional. I just can't get all of my gear to fit in it properly. Right now I travel with one checked bag that contains my dive gear and my clothing, a pelican case that contains my photo gear (which I carry on) and a back pack that contain travel documents and other misc. items. The idea was to buy the Akona bag in order to eliminate the back pack, but the bag does not have enough room to fit all of the photo gear and my carry on items.

I'm going back to my Pelican case.

I kicked the wheels on a couple rolling carry-ons and went with the Tamrac. Fits all my gear (ex camera body and lenses which I carry in a backpack). That's housing (handles attached), flat port, 8" dome port, extension rings for a Sigma 17-70 and 100mm, Stix arms and floats, clamps, 2 YS 250 strobes, focus light, chargers and sync cords. Weighs a lot, but it is discreet :P

Phil

I went ahead and bought one of these bags yesterday, but I am going to return it.

There is no problem with the quality, in fact it is exceptional. I just can't get all of my gear to fit in it properly. Right now I travel with one checked bag that contains my dive gear and my clothing, a pelican case that contains my photo gear (which I carry on) and a back pack that contain travel documents and other misc. items. The idea was to buy the Akona bag in order to eliminate the back pack, but the bag does not have enough room to fit all of the photo gear and my carry on items.

I'm going back to my Pelican case.

I bought one and love it. It fits all my equipment except my dome port which I pack in my backpack with my computer. I pack a D300 + 3 lenses, S&S housing, macro port, gears, ulcs arms, stix floats, chargers, batteries, sync cords, Hartenberger focus light, 2 strobes, extra cables and other misc small stuff. I have chosen to check it occasionally for various reasons and so far, all that great padding has protected the goods! My only worry is that is if I TOTALLY overstuff it, it can stress the zipper that reverses the back panel to convert it to a backpack and it threatens to open that section but not the main compartment. If it starts to groan, I just take a few extras out. I'm heading to Bonaire in two weeks so I'm hoping it will be less obvious to thieves than my old pelican case. Regardless, I'm going to carry it on until I'm forced to release it.

I used the new Akona Pro camera bag on a recent trip to the Galapagos. I was able to get a fair amount of gear into the bag (Ikelite 40D housing (40D body inside housing), macro port, wide angle port (8"), a few lenses, one strobe, cables, etc)... I put the other strobe in my dive bag and made it there that way. However, the carry on bag is over American Airlines bag size limit, and I got a lot of grief at the check bag desk. AA was going to charge me an extra bag fee and make me check the bag! I about came unglued, but remembered that you can unzip the top backpack cover and remove, which allowed me to be close enough for AA. When I got near the security check I just zipped the foam cover back on, and did not have another problem. What I did notice though, was that AA in general was being very picky to the size of carry on bags, and were not allowing folks to just carry anything on. I saw this happen at the boarding gate! I just kinda kept my bag out of their sight. Also, I did have some trouble getting the bag into the over head carriers that were on the window side, but had no problem with the in-board over head carriers. This was more true on the smaller airplanes. When I got to Ecuador I had to check the bag as their carry on limit is one small (backpack) bag only!

Cheers

Derek...

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements