Snaphappy

Please help ID these Pygmy Seahorses

Hi everyone,

I just returned from Indonesia and had my first-ever chance at photographing pygmy seahorses. Thanks to some help from the guides at the Lembeh Resort, I was able to get these two shots which I'm reasonably happy with.

pygmy_seahorse4_edited_resized.jpg

pygmy_seahorse3_edited_resized.jpg

I'm unsure as to the exact species of each of these seahorses. Hippocampus denise or the yellow variety of Hippocampus bargibanti? Just how does one distinguish between the two?

Thanks in advance for your help. :) Robyn

The first one is H. bargibanti, the second is the bumpy form of H. denise according to Roberto Sozzani - see http://www.robertosozzani.it/Denise/contdeniseEn.html The differences I see include the shape of the head, the curve of the "neck", the circles around the eyes & the bumps (or lack of) above the eyes, the texture of the skin (usually), and the type of gorgonian they associate with.

The first one is H. bargibanti, the second is the bumpy form of H. denise according to Roberto Sozzani - see http://www.robertosozzani.it/Denise/contdeniseEn.html The differences I see include the shape of the head, the curve of the "neck", the circles around the eyes & the bumps (or lack of) above the eyes, the texture of the skin (usually), and the type of gorgonian they associate with.

Thanks Leslie...I really appreciate this info! Robyn

Wow, they are both really great. Love the first one, Congrats on such a great shot! Scott

Great shots Robyn! I was last month in the Philippines but didn't get a good picture of this seahorse.

Hope to find also answers on some of my pictures!

greetz

Tineke (10nus)

Sponsors

Advertisements