Sign in to follow this  
Hidroj

Which lens for single dive contests?

Some UW-Photography Contests, held during a single dive, expect from the photographer to shoot different subjects: Macro, complete fish and seascape, for example. And that is only possible with a zoom lens. But which one?

Which are you using under this conditions? Which are the sharpest in your opinion?

Nikon's 18-70mm 3.5-4.5?

Nikon's 18-105mm 3.5-5.6?

Nikon's 16-85mm 3.5-5.6?

Sigma's 18-50mm 2.8?

Has anybody compared them underwater? Any experience?

Thank you very much! Any opinion will be apreciated!

Jordi

I would suggest the Sigma 17-70.

I'll go with one of

- Sigma 17-70 if macro is better there.

- Tokina 10-17 if WA preferred

Both are very versatile lens, witch one to take is depend on the location and what you like more.

Edited by Arnon_Ayal

Another vote for Sigma 17-70 Macro.

I always use it for my first dive of the day the best all rounder I've found, however, "Jack of all trades, Master of none". I've recomended it so many times I ought to get commision ;-)

Cheers,

Richard B.

Thank you very much for your advice, Richard and Mike!

Unfortunatelly or not (I think not), I'm using an Ikelite housing. At their port chart, for the Sigma 17-70mm Macro HSM lens they say: "Lens diameter is too large to operate in port system." It's something I really don't understand, basically cause I'm using underwater regularly wider lenses then the Sigma 17-70mm lens, with wider lens and filter diameter (Nikon's 12-24mm).

Has anybody used this Sigma lens you recommend inside an Ikelite housing?

Is there some information I'm missing to explain why Ikelite says this lens doesn't fit in their port system?

Thanks again for any comment!

Jordi

Unfortunatelly or not (I think not), I'm using an Ikelite housing. At their port chart, for the Sigma 17-70mm Macro HSM lens they say: "Lens diameter is too large to operate in port system." It's something I really don't understand, basically cause I'm using underwater regularly wider lenses then the Sigma 17-70mm lens, with wider lens and filter diameter (Nikon's 12-24mm).

Is there some information I'm missing to explain why Ikelite says this lens doesn't fit in their port system?

Jordi

Try the non-HSM version

I use the non-HSM Sigma 17-70mm lens with my Ikelite setup with no problems. I will also echo what others have said -- I bought the Sigma 17-70 specifically for that catch-all type situation. It won't do macro as well as the 60mm, but it's 90% of the way there. It won't do really wide angle, but also it's 85-90% there for most situations.

JP

Edited by johnspierce

If after read all this opinions you still have a doubt... get the non HSM version. There is no "real" difference between both, or at least you won´t be able to notice an important one.

Jordi

Hey Jordi

You can use a HSM in the Ikelite housing, just gotta modify the focus ring on your lens by adding some tape ( black "cloth" hockey tape in my case) if you plan to use the manual focus because the focus gear won't reach the ring, that's all there is to it...

I got a D300 in an Ike housing, works fine

stef

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements