So ... no W/A adapters and no use of internal strobe on the new G10 housing from Ikelite ...

http://ikelite.com/web_two/can_g10.html

"The Canon G10 features a 28mm wide angle setting, even wider than the Canon G9's 35mm lens. Even with the shortest port possible, external wide angle conversion lenses cannot be used to any advantage. No wide angle options are currently available for this housing."

"Since so much of the light is blocked by the lens port, the camera's built-in flash cannot be used to illuminate the subject."

I reckon the price of a second hand G9 has just gone up... :uwphotog:

So ... no W/A adapters and no use of internal strobe on the new G10 housing from Ikelite ...

"The Canon G10 features a 28mm wide angle setting, even wider than the Canon G9's 35mm lens. Even with the shortest port possible, external wide angle conversion lenses cannot be used to any advantage. No wide angle options are currently available for this housing."

"Since so much of the light is blocked by the lens port, the camera's built-in flash cannot be used to illuminate the subject."

OMG... :P ...

its to difficult change my fuji e900 + inon fisheye with another camera :uwphotog: every compact camera have bad issue... uffff....

but if isnt possible using wet lenses... they cant do a housing with a small dome? why a flat port?

now i wait for a new camera for change my small fuji... the g10 is out.. the firts choice, the lx3 no housings.. the p6000? umh...

bye

bol.

I reckon the price of a second hand G9 has just gone up... :lol:

Hi Tim,

I was sitting back quietly waiting for the G10 to arrive and everyone else dumping their G9's.

Doesn't look like that plan is going to work. . . . :P

Bruce... :uwphotog:

Played with a G10 a couple of weeks ago in a store (including having sales people pose within 6 foot strobe range to get a sense of the 28mm coverage :uwphotog: ). It seemed to focus fairly quickly (quicker than my G9) so it is real tempting as a back up. I am not too concerned about the 28mm WA or the internal strobe. Just wish Ikelite could make the housings smaller like they have done for some models. Fiber Optics and the new Canon housing for the camera could be an interesting combination....even kicking around for my G9 for that purpose.

I really do like that little camera....

Could see the lack of WA lens thing happening. It's a pitty, the G7/G9's were such good little cameras for underwater!

Hi Tim,

I was sitting back quietly waiting for the G10 to arrive and everyone else dumping their G9's.

Doesn't look like that plan is going to work. . . . :lol:

Bruce... :P

I have two! :dance::yahoo::uwphotog:

wow ... kinda supprise ikelite act fast on this time ...

but what really supprise me is that they using such wide port for G10 ...

will this mean 67mm macro lens also not possible direct mount of the port?? :uwphotog:

this also make me thinking, how come canon original port look just as same as G10 original port.

can canon original port allow 28mm wide angle without causing vignette?? :P

I too am not surprised by this. This was one of the first things I checked when the G10 was announced. Everybody went yeah 28mm but then reality sets in. Most of the WA wet lens are set up for 35mm lens. INON does have one for 28mm but it requires their mount base. Ikelite made the decision that most folks will not be using the wet lens and designed the port accordingly.

desert eagle - I would think that adding a dome port would cause more problems than solve. Although, if the ports were interchangeable like the Patima. Then perhaps worth considering.

Edited by allen

So... end result is the G10 should rock for standard shots (up to 28mm WA) and for macro, but not for true wide angle work? I've been waiting for a replacement for my S80, and while the lack of wide angle options drives me nuts on occasion, I do more macro work than WA anyway, so perhaps I can live with that.

I wonder how this compares to the upcoming Sea & Sea DX-2G, though...

Some of you may be interested to know that Patima are developing a housing for the G10 according to the email below I have just received:

Thank you very much for your E-mail.

G10 housing is on designing now.

It will be finished soon.

Patima U/W ENG Co.,Ltd

It is not clear if this will include the interchangable lense system that they produced for the G9 Housing

Ikelite once made me a custom wide angle lens for use with a 28 mm lens end on a point and shoot. It was not sharp per Ike's judgement. It might be too hard to design a "standard" wide angle port for these point and shoots Ikelite has designed some very good wide angle domes for use with the camera's manufacturer designed auxiliary wide angle lenses. (Such as the Nikon CP 5000 and 8400)

When the G9 housing first came out, didn't Ike do/say the same thing? Was it not until a few months later that Ike came out with the short port for WA on the G9 housing? Maybe with enough demand they'll do it.

Why don't Ikelite simply put a dome port the housing?

My money says that Sea & Sea will have a good housing.

In wetpixel's video interview with the fisheye rep at DEMA (LINK), it sounds like the new FIX housing for the P6000 will have a dome option. The audio gets really bad and hard to follow, but after listening a couple of times, that's what I understood.

The way he's waving the camera around with the Nikon WA adapter, I wonder if the dome would go over that.

Edited by randini

Amigos,

I read these threads and want to add my 2 cents............

Even though I am primarily a dSLR shooter I have used (and sold plus coaching people) many Canon G7, G9 and soon Canon G10 underwater systems.

While many want the add on wide angle lenses housing manufacturers are challenged with where a particular lens and body is positioned to try and take advantage of whatever the widest lens angle is and still give users some zoom and macro capability. If they use a flat port, and the lens as Ikelite has recently stated is too far back at the widest position it physically cannot take advantage of ANY external wide angle optic. Then people are dissatisfied :D

If a manufacturer gives you a dome port to restore the widest angle view (like the 28mm equivalent film term of the new Canon G10) then at some point the lens will not be able to zoom in and focus or shoot in the best macro range.

I also personally think most P&S shooters (even high end ones like the Canon G7, G9 and G10) ever get close enough with an external wide angle lens. So the difference between shooting tighter framing from say 3' -5 away with the Canon G10's 28mm lens versus a wider lens is lost on 99% of shooters IMHO.

I personally would rather have the 28mm wide view accepting the compromise of 1/2 or a bit more zoom range of a Canon G10 as that is more my style of shooting (Head / Shoulders of divers, coral formations, reef fish, etc.)

I hope to shoot some test shots in Cayman Dec. 6-13th with a Canon G10 underwater............

Just one lowly guy's opinion :)

dhaas

Dhas,

I think the problem you have is that previous generations of P&S were able to go well beyond 28mm with wet WA lens attachments and get even better macro with wet macro lenses. It is not unreasonable to expect better from newer generation products. Unfortunately all manufacturers build for topside shooters with no housing involved. The frustration is that there is an ample underwater market, I think that manufacturers are just missing it. There are some old Oly 5060 still waiting for a new camera from Oly that justfies upgrading. I was an SP350 user and was extremely disappointed with the prosumer replacements for that camera. The first manufacturer that builds a decent P&S that has all the needed features for underwater, will be rewarded for their effort.

There are several issues here and unfortunately they are mutually exclusive. The G10 lens is wide enough that as David says it sits too far back to accept a wide angle wet lens. If they shorten the port then folks are going to lose the macro ability. So what is the choice? as a compromise must be made. Patima went with two ports. Ikelite went with one.

However, at this point in time adding a wet lens for wide angle is purely academic as no one is making a 28mm wet lens, that I know of with threads. INON does but it requires their mount. Perhaps if a few more mfg start making 28mm wide zoom INON will make the a threaded version.

Edited by allen

The FIX P6000 will have accessory ports for both wetmate wide angle attachments and a 100mm glass dome for the WC-E76 enabling over/unders, etc. Personally I'm pretty excited about this housing, as it is expected to come in at an economical $699 retail price.

Here is a picture of the finished cast body, which looks a lot better than the plastic prototype shown at dema:

p6000_casting.jpg

and here are the final cad renderings:

p6000_f.jpg

p6000_b.jpg

Seatool is also in production of a very nice G10 option. This housing is smaller dimensionally than Canon WP-DC28, and looks like it will have very good ergonomics. Wide angle lens compatibility is unknown at this time, but Seatool is testing several port configurations this weekend in water.

st_g10_fr.jpg

st_g10_b.jpg

st_g10_port.jpg

Edited by Ryan

All interesting points form Gary and Allen. Plus that housing Ryan shows with interchangeable ports is a killer idea!

One point I'd like to make is while the Olympus C5050, 5060 and SP350 seem to have legendary capability, if you used them today compared to anything made in the last 1-2 years you'd want to open it and flood the camera out of frustration :) Slow AF, not great processing speed, etc. Each generation has improved significantly in the P&S and high end hot shoe capable P&S arenas.

I also think my main point was missed about people wanting super wide lenses yet very, very few UW photographers use them effectively. So as stated, I'd be happy with a true 28mm on any Canon G10 I take beneath the waves.......

I predict the Canon G10 will be another hit for Canon and many UW users giving it a try.....

YMMV

dhaas

Edited by dhaas

you'd want to open it and flood the camera out of frustration
:D Well it did force me to open my wallet and flood my credit line. I went DSLR :) Edited by ce4jesus

I also think my main point was missed about people wanting super wide lenses yet very, very few UW photographers use them effectively. So as stated, I'd be happy with a true 28mm on any Canon G10 I take beneath the waves.......

I predict the Canon G10 will be another hit for Canon and many UW users giving it a try.....

David, your comment is really on the mark for me even before as this is something I have been weighing recently. Could I live with true 28mm and skip the wet lens?? I think I could. It sure would make everything a lot simpler. I would even be willing to have two ports like the Patima. I think if I want more than that I would just house my wife XSi.

Hello,

I am new to this forum and currently thinking of purchasing a Canon G-10 with a Canon WP-DC28 housing. I will be using the camera for wide angle work mainly. I freedive only and the primary subjects that I will be shooting are California Yellowtail and White Sea Bass in typical visibilities between 15-50ft. Many of the shots will be in low light situations (kelp canopy) so a small camera set up without strobes is very advantageous. I will also be using a Magic filter (green and blue) depending on the situation. My question is has anyone used the G-10 with the factory housing yet and if so what are your findings. Thank you very much in advance for your comments.

I have the G10 with the WP-DC28 housing. On a recent trip of Bali, I managed to 'blood' the camera underwater, and the casing. As a relative novice when it comes to uw photography and the G10 being my first setup, I'm quite pleased with the results, both wide angle and macro. The flash diffuser that comes standard with the DC28 certainly makes a difference.

Once I'm done with final edits, I'll post some photos from the trip.

Hi DB48 and welcome. Yellowtail and white-seabass under the kelp - that really gets this San Diego boy's blood pumping!

If you want a good low light camera that can accept an add-on wideangle lens then the G10 may not be the best. It's decent but not great in low light, and as far as I know there's no way to put a wideangle lens onto the Canon housing. I'm not even sure if the Ikelite housing will accept a widangle lens :-(

Other options to look at would be the Panasonic Lumix and the Fuji 1000 series. I have older Fuji F30 with Inon wideangle adapter and it is excellent.

Cheers

James

Sponsors

Advertisements