I have a D200, which gets plenty of use above the surface. I'm finding that my pictures have dirt spots, very visible in blue skies, almost constantly. It seems that no matter how much cleaning I do on the lens, and senser, these spots still appear, in different places every time. I've heard that you should never touch the sensor, which I don't, I just flip the cover up and inspect for dust, and blow down with the bulb cleaner until any spots are gone, until the senser 'looks' spotless, but it doesn't stay spotless for long. I've also heard that there is a glass protector over the senser, so I can clean it more thoroughly, is this true? Is this just a problem I have to live with when shooting on land?

Very annoying......

Thanks!

do a google search on sensor cleaning and you will find lots of things:

i use these :, because they are affordable. But there are many more players. Such as invisible dust, green clean etc.......

do a google search on sensor cleaning and you will find lots of things:

i use these :, because they are affordable. But there are many more players. Such as invisible dust, green clean etc.......

More info than anyone should know Demystifying D-SLR Sensor Cleaning

Joe

Hi Rich,

I use an arctic butterfly by Visible dust for day to day sensor cleaning but if i have really stubborn marks I will use a Digi-Pad swab with cleaning fluid directly onto the sensor. A word of caution though, be really careful when doing anything directly onto the sensor.

There are two camps when it comes to sensor cleaning those who will do it themselves an those who send them off to get done. I noticed when I went to the canon repair centre in London yesterday that Canon are now charging, what they call a "small charge" of £50 for a full frame sensor clean and I think it was £40 for a crop sensor clean. So if you need to clean your sensor more regularly then have a think about doing the job yourself.

Hope this helps.

Tristan

Why dont manufacturers put an optical glass over the sensor which you can clean and seal the sensor in a partial vacuum?

Seems normal engineering solution.

BTW to add to the discussion there's a reason that blowing air alone won't remove the particles. They become electrostatically charged and are literally magnetized to the sensor. So you'll need to contact the sensor to clean it properly.

BTW to add to the discussion there's a reason that blowing air alone won't remove the particles. They become electrostatically charged and are literally magnetized to the sensor. So you'll need to contact the sensor to clean it properly.

You should have stopped when you ahead. "Electrostatically charged" is correct, "literally magnetized" is not. Magnetism has nothing to do with it. Some biological stuff such as pollen, is essentially glued down, which is why dry cleaning methods often fail. In any case, some dust and dirt can be really stubborn but fortunately Isopropanol and Methanol work great at removing this stuff.

FWIW I have used the system described HERE.

Yes you have to take care, and it does take a bit of practice but it is not rocket science and is not difficult.

Ensure that you get the correct liquid cleaner, supposedly my D300 requires a new type ( which I got ) - don't know if the old type will really damage a coating on the CCD but for 10 dollars why take a chance.

Paul C

I used the same system as Paul. Worked a treat on my D100 and D200. Not had to try it yet on the D300.

First time is slightly nerve-wracking. But as Paul says, its not difficult or rocket science.

I use the Visible Dust products and they work well. One thing I picked up a couple of years ago is their Sensor Loupe. This little gadget is really worth considering, in my opinion. When you think you have your sensor clean, a quick look thru the Loupe will find the little stuff that's hard to see with your eyes.

Sensor Loupe

I too use Visible Dust products, one of their earlier model electric brushes. I also use their Chamber Clean solution in combination with their Chamber Clean Swabs for effectively keeping the area around the mirror box and lens mount clean. I manage to keep my rig spotless with only occasional use of these products. I wouldn't recommend using one the blower devices.

Hi

Has anybody ever used these, I have a D200 that also needs a clean.

CCD/CMOS Cleaner

Thanks

Karen

Sponsors

Advertisements