LyN

Leak Detector

I was recently the victim of a flood in my Ikelite housing. Well, in fact the victims were my D70s and my loved Tokina 10-17. Anyway: although it was due to human error -yes, my error- I could have saved my gear if I had noticed the flood soon enough.

This is why I am planning on installing a leak detector on my Ikelite housing. I have been looking around, and the only aftermarket leak detector that I have been able to find is this one.

Leak-Detector-Animation.gif

Does anybody know it?

Do you know of any other leak detector that I could use?

Do you think it will be useful?

Do yuu think the price (USD70) is right?

Thanks! ;)

Edited by LyN

I have used it for about a year now. It is a little bit awkward to get the detactor firmly in place, as the detector comes with rather flimsy velcro attachers. However, with duct tape it stays where it is placed. Luckily I haven´t had to test it with a flood, but predivechecks with moist fingertips have always shown appropriate action from the detector. And the price seems fair to me. Makes diving with a dslr at least a little bit less nervous!

Regards

Bent

I use Chris Peter water detector

I have very good experience with it, Chris is very helpful and can modify the detector for your needs.

This product have two main advantage over what you asked on:

- Its have a buzzer (this buzzer saved my D200 when it start making noise when I was half body in the water before a shore dive without looking directly at my camera)

- Its ~ half of the price.

And another one...http://www.marinecamera.com/leek_h20detector.html

I have used these before I got housings with detectors preinstalled. Simple, cheap and easy to install, but effective.

Try www.aquaphot.com - Kevin builds leak detectors and I'm sure he would offer advice on fitting them as he repairs underwater camera equipment too (I've used his services a lot).

Arnon and André, thanks for your help. The detectors you are suggesting are of the simple kind. This means they're just simple circuits in which the water acts as part of an electrical switch, which means you need a certain amount of water to go over the sensor to start functioning.

The one I was referring to really senses if humidity inside the housing has increased. It doesn't need water to actually go over the sensor, which makes it quite more sensitive.

The thing I find it it is missing is some kind of buzzer, ceirtanly.

Try www.aquaphot.com - Kevin builds leak detectors and I'm sure he would offer advice on fitting them as he repairs underwater camera equipment too (I've used his services a lot).

Thanks Paul. I've emailed them to see if they can help.

Thanks Paul. I've emailed them to see if they can help.

Just FYI: they're not providing any leak detector, although they were helpful in going on searching for one.

Shame that Aquaphot have stoped, I've got one in my Ikelite housing and love it.

Never been flooded but wet finger test works every time and the ribbon cable sensor is very easy to fit as is the electronics / battery module. SORRY.

Cheers,

Richard B.

www.images-underwater.net

The one I was referring to really senses if humidity inside the housing has increased. It doesn't need water to actually go over the sensor, which makes it quite more sensitive.

Are you sure about that? I have one in my Ikelite housing and it has two copper strips and requires water to make a connection. A moist finger is enough to trigger it, but I very much doubt that humidity would.

Are you sure about that? I have one in my Ikelite housing and it has two copper strips and requires water to make a connection. A moist finger is enough to trigger it, but I very much doubt that humidity would.

Mine certainly doesn´t trigger with humidity (and I have had it out and active in 100% relative humidity in a rainforest). It would probably be quite problematic to have it trigger on changes in humidity, as that should change with temperature, thus setting it of when submerging the housing in cooler water.

Regards

Bent

Edited by Bent C

Mine certainly doesn´t trigger with humidity (and I have had it out and active in 100% relative humidity in a rainforest). It would probably be quite problematic to have it trigger on changes in humidity, as that should change with temperature, thus setting it of when submerging the housing in cooler water.

Regards

Bent

This is very interesting. Answering ATJ, no I am not sure. This is why I opened this thread.

Bent C, I read somewhere (I am not able to find this reference anymore) that this leak detector could be checked by breath directly on the sensor. If this is not true, then I find no reason to opt for this detector instead of Chris Peter's, which also seems nice and is much cheaper including shipping to Spain (about 35€).

I use Kevin's Aquaphot leak detector too. He tell's me there is some EC legislation :) which makes it 'difficult' for him to continue with this excellent product. CJ needs one for his Ike housing as well and I hope we'll be able to get another one...

Edited by Timmoranuk

This is very interesting. Answering ATJ, no I am not sure. This is why I opened this thread.

Bent C, I read somewhere (I am not able to find this reference anymore) that this leak detector could be checked by breath directly on the sensor. If this is not true, then I find no reason to opt for this detector instead of Chris Peter's, which also seems nice and is much cheaper including shipping to Spain (about 35€).

Mine doesn´t react to breath. I just checked it, and, at least the unit I have does not react in any way to breath.

Given the price of the unit you are referring to, I will buy one of those as well and install both. Irrespective of price, I would really like have the extra warning of the buzzer.

/Bent C

Mine doesn´t react to breath. I just checked it, and, at least the unit I have does not react in any way to breath.

Thanks, that's good info Bent C.

Given the price of the unit you are referring to, I will buy one of those as well and install both. Irrespective of price, I would really like have the extra warning of the buzzer.

Yes, I have reached the conclusion that this one is the best option. I am ordering one.

Sponsors

Advertisements