Sign in to follow this  
CADiver

What to wear in Galapagos ?

I am exciting to learn I am allowed to go diving in Dec and I am going to Galapagos during Christmas week on the Aggressor. I never dove there before, so what should I wear ? I have the following combination of suits

- Dry suit

- 3mm full body suit

- 5mm hood vest

- 7mm 2 pieces jacker & farmer joint

I perfer not have to wear the 7mm farmer joint, just not very comfortable. I had done 3mm + hood vest on 74F water or 3mm + 7mm jacket in 70F. I had done dry suit in Red Sea during Feb which was 70~72F. I read something about rocks are sharp so I am worry about cutting my dry suit on board ? I am skinny with no body insulation, well only light insulation in the mid-section, I can't handle any cold temp even it's mild. What should I wear ??

Thank you !!

Dominic

I am exciting to learn I am allowed to go diving in Dec and I am going to Galapagos during Christmas week on the Aggressor. I never dove there before, so what should I wear ? I have the following combination of suits

- Dry suit

- 3mm full body suit

- 5mm hood vest

- 7mm 2 pieces jacker & farmer joint

I perfer not have to wear the 7mm farmer joint, just not very comfortable. I had done 3mm + hood vest on 74F water or 3mm + 7mm jacket in 70F. I had done dry suit in Red Sea during Feb which was 70~72F. I read something about rocks are sharp so I am worry about cutting my dry suit on board ? I am skinny with no body insulation, well only light insulation in the mid-section, I can't handle any cold temp even it's mild. What should I wear ??

Thank you !!

Dominic

Ah ! I didn't notice this thread when I post my question ! http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...=27062&st=0

Seems they have good tips there.

Thanks!

We went dry and would do the same again. Aggressor DM let us use the upper deck to suit-up. Sarah had a small tear from the sharp rocks but nothing that a little duct tape and Aqua Seal couldn't handle.

I've used a full 7mm farmer john type wetsuit. Northern islands are comfortable temp (mid 70's) but central islands in some areas can be in the 50's. Dry suit is good until the current knocks you into a big barnacle.

Came back from the Galapagos, fantastic expereience.

As far as what to wear, I bought the 7mm farmer john and that's was plentyful. I think a regular 7mm w/ hood would be sufficient but I don't have those. Most people are alright with 5mm with a hood vest. Dry suite is not necessary. Water temp was mostly at 75~77F from North Seuymour to Wolf and Darwin. Santiago island's Cousin Rock drop back to 73~75F with themalcline down to 68F. The only cold diving was Santa Cruz island's Gordon Rock. 66F to begin with and some themalcline drop us down to 64F. Because of the cold themalcline, the visz also drops to ~25ft. Gordon rock ended up being the least interesting of the entire trip due to the low visz and cold but still we ran into hammerhead. This is the only dive people felt 5mm+hood vest was not enough. I was ok.

Some pictures from the trip: http://www.flickr.com/photos/cadiver/sets/...639217303/show/

Hope you had a great time and have time to enter a trip report.

I dream of taking the same trip.

Thanks for sharing the photos. What photo gear were you using?

Hope you had a great time and have time to enter a trip report.

I dream of taking the same trip.

Thanks for sharing the photos. What photo gear were you using?

Great time for sure, trip report still under construction, I don't write very well :-(

I shot with a Nikon D80 in Ikelite housing, 8" port and flat port along with a pair of DS-125

Most pictures were taken with Tokina 12-24. One dive was done with Tokina 10-17 but found it too far away for hammerhead. One dive was done with 105VR just to have fun. One dive was done in 60mm.

Great time for sure, trip report still under construction, I don't write very well :-(

I shot with a Nikon D80 in Ikelite housing, 8" port and flat port along with a pair of DS-125

Most pictures were taken with Tokina 12-24. One dive was done with Tokina 10-17 but found it too far away for hammerhead. One dive was done with 105VR just to have fun. One dive was done in 60mm.

... and here is my review

Edited by CADiver

Who says you don't write well? Don't believe them. I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for letting us in on your experience at the Galapagos. Great job Dominic! :lol:

Cheers,

Steve

Cold, cold, cold! (in February in my case)

7mm wetsuit, plus gloves, hood, and perhaps even an extra farmer John.

I also used my reef hook frequently when watching large school of sharks in the very strong Galapagos currents.

Cold, cold, cold! (in February in my case)

7mm wetsuit, plus gloves, hood, and perhaps even an extra farmer John.

I also used my reef hook frequently when watching large school of sharks in the very strong Galapagos currents.

Yes, great write-up. Makes me want to go back!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements