meerseen

FF vs. Crop - which System for UW-pics

I used the 150mm on my last trip exclusively in AF and it worked well. It's good enough you don't have to use it at an MF lens - I don't know where that myth came from.

Cheers

James

James,

The "myth"

"This is far from the slowest or most-inconsistent autofocusing lens I've used but definitely is not the best in this regard. Fortunately, most macro photography is done using manual focusing which makes any autofocus inconsistencies and speeds irrelevant. This is a really nice 150mm telephoto lens that could be even better for general purpose and sports use if it had fast and accurate AF." --The-Digital-Picture

Actually, I was responding to Craig who indicates he uses manual before the final push. I have no doubt that this is a good lense. However, the reviews indicate it is not as fast in autofocus as the AF105VR and that is importent to me.

Tom,

I think you should either try it, or perhaps read an UNDERWATER focused review before drawing a conclusion like that. If we're ever on a trip together, you're welcome to try mine.

Cheers

James

Tom, I'm glad you like the 105 on a DX sensor. Lots of people do. FF offers that same perspective. The AF issue is red herring. MF is not hard with small subjects that would be typical of a 105+DX setup. The issue is moot as AF works fine with the 150. Curiously, Alex has written that he has mixed feelings on the speed of the 105VR and hasn't switched from the slower 105. Super fast AF is not a requirement. How did anyone shoot macro underwater before the 105VR? How do Canon shooters manage?

I don't use AF as you described. My normal macro lens I use with MF only. With lens-motor supermacro lenses I use AF to quickly set the range then switch to MF. For WA, midrange zooms, and wider macro I use AF only.

Super fast AF is not a requirement. How did anyone shoot macro underwater before the 105VR? How do Canon shooters manage?

It's probably because the Canon 100mm macro already had USM :-)

Sorry I took the bait....

I recently undertook a project to see whether dSLRs could be used to identify gobies in a dark, cold Scottish Sea Loch (in VERY dismal weather). 4 of us shot usin 2 c Canon 5Ds with 100 usm macros, a Nikon D200 with new 60mm macro and a D50 (I think) with an older 60mm macro. We all used sptiing lights (very varied from Kowalski Xenon to small led types). Out of ~1100 images of these small fish (~2cm to ~10cm) very, very few were incorrectly focused - even the moving fish were ok. No-one used manual focus. Now I'm not saying that anyone should not use manual focus but AF is nowadays extremely effective - in case anyone is interested, the aimpoint was to produce images showing face, nape and dorsal in focus if possible so that features could be examined, so focus had to be very accurate indeed. The project worked and we even identified species which we had no idea were there! If anyone wants a copy of the report to see the results (~5Mb Word file) pm me with your email address.

It's probably because the Canon 100mm macro already had USM :-)

Sorry I took the bait....

I was not baiting Canon shooters, I was making the point that other lenses besides the 105VR are capable of good AF performance. All macro lenses are slow at AF relative to lenses in general and comments stating such, as can be found for the Sigma 150, are worthless. The Sigma 150 autofocuses faster than the pre-AF-S Nikon macro lenses do.

Also, I don't advocate MF, I am simply saying that it's not difficult to learn. I use MF because my favorite lens does not do AF well. I would prefer, and would always use, AF with MF override if all Nikon lenses offer it like Canon systems do.

Of all the differences between FF and cropped sensor, AF performance is the least interesting to discuss.

Sponsors

Advertisements