TMondell

Flooded Ikelite DS-125

I recently took a practically brand new DS-125 on a dive and did not realize that the O-ring was pinched between the battery and the strobe. I was down for 45 mins and noticed black (appeared black) liquid coming from it. The strobe obviously wasn't firing correctly, I think only twice. I cleaned as much as I could during my surface interval, and dried it, then took it back down. It actually worked correctly the entire time. The only weird thing was the Ready Light stayed on when it was switched to the OFF position. Now, a couple days later, after cleaning all the corrosion off the connections (with lighter fluid), and recharging the battery (it was completely dead) I reattached the battery and there was no response in any of the switches positions. No Ready Light, No charging sound, No Model Light.

Has any one else had this problem? Can I fix this myself? Is the strobe completely ruined beyond repair? Will Ikelite repair strobes? If so, any idea how much it costs? Thanks everyone for your time and thoughts.

Tim

According to Ikelite, the strobe itself is sealed and should be fine after a flood but the battery will be stuffed. You should only need to replace the battery. You can buy a new battery retail, or perhaps Ikelite will sell you one cheaply.

I recently took a practically brand new DS-125 on a dive and did not realize that the O-ring was pinched between the battery and the strobe. I was down for 45 mins and noticed black (appeared black) liquid coming from it. The strobe obviously wasn't firing correctly, I think only twice. I cleaned as much as I could during my surface interval, and dried it, then took it back down. It actually worked correctly the entire time. The only weird thing was the Ready Light stayed on when it was switched to the OFF position. Now, a couple days later, after cleaning all the corrosion off the connections (with lighter fluid), and recharging the battery (it was completely dead) I reattached the battery and there was no response in any of the switches positions. No Ready Light, No charging sound, No Model Light.

Has any one else had this problem? Can I fix this myself? Is the strobe completely ruined beyond repair? Will Ikelite repair strobes? If so, any idea how much it costs? Thanks everyone for your time and thoughts.

Tim

Yep, I have had this happen to me, but my case was due to the strobe not clamping down right (also first time in the water with the strobe.) The black stuff coming out is battery acid, and I must say I can't believe that it worked after that. If the strobe was brand new, I'd send it straight back to Ikelite, and say it flooded on the first time in the water. How do you know for a fact that that you pinched the O ring? Perhaps it was something wrong with the strobe seal that will be still under warranty. Mine was under warranty (as it was brand new), and they sent me a new one. I'd send it back to them asking "why did the seal fail"?

Yep, I have had this happen to me, but my case was due to the strobe not clamping down right (also first time in the water with the strobe.) The black stuff coming out is battery acid, and I must say I can't believe that it worked after that. If the strobe was brand new, I'd send it straight back to Ikelite, and say it flooded on the first time in the water. How do you know for a fact that that you pinched the O ring? Perhaps it was something wrong with the strobe seal that will be still under warranty. Mine was under warranty (as it was brand new), and they sent me a new one. I'd send it back to them asking "why did the seal fail"?

When I disconnected the battery, I saw that part of the O-ring was up and towards the center, with some grooves, and I think that's why the clamp was not proper.

I too have flooded a DS-125. The battery was toast, the rest was fine and required no repair.

Tim

Best bet is to send to Ikelite for a quote. If they deem it to be under warranty, they'll likely repair for free. Last time this happened to me (before I sold off my Ikelite gear), they charged me $350 for a rebuild, though I could find no reason why the thing would have flooded (and I tend to be up front about when I think I did something to cause the problem). While it is true that the battery and head are separate and sealed, it is possible that the flooding of the battery caused some errant electrical signals that damaged the head unit. Best is to sent the whole thing in.

Mike

Hi,

I had 4 DS-125 : now all are sold.

From those I flooded (2 DS-125 each time fresh new) :

- First one, first dive, the front part get water inside. Send it back to Ikelite and they told

me that their was a small creak. This was their fault and they changed it for me freely.

Analysis : Quality failure test.

- The second one happend on the battery pack (the flash was fresh new also). Enter the

water, all was fine. Did all the dive (30m 1h) the two strobe worked fine. And when doing

safety stop in the 3m range I saw the black smoke coming out from the button.

Analysis : I thought the O-Ring when fresh new has difficulties to strech in its grove.

Ikelite said not to grease their O-Ring but on all my DS125 I have alway greased their

O-Ring and never had problem with the 2 others (Even if it seems teflon like when new, I

can't understand myself how a rubber can strech in a grove without grease !?! Seems not

logical). What I noticed however is that every time after an initial dive new O-Ring shrink a

little and strech is more easily after.

Hope it will help someone.

Regards

Stéphane

Edited by steph

Sponsors

Advertisements