Sign in to follow this  
KirkD

Photoshop w/ Lightroom

Does any one use Photoshop w/ Lightroom? What are the advantages of combining these 2 programs? I currently use Elements 6.0 and am still learning on it. I was using it to edit JPEG images from the Sea and Sea 860G. I just made the jump to dSLR and I am shooting RAW, so I thought it may be a good idea to step up the photoediting software.

So I guess my question is this, is there a benefit from using Photoshop w/ lightroom? and what can be done differently in these platforms that what I use in Elements (as far as editing my underwater photos are concerned)?

Thanks

Kirk

So I guess my question is this, is there a benefit from using Photoshop w/ lightroom? and what can be done differently in these platforms that what I use in Elements (as far as editing my underwater photos are concerned)?

Thanks

Kirk

Hello Kirk.

Lightroom has become a great editing program. It is fairly intuitive while being quite powerful. My recommendation would be to start with Lightroom. It should take care of 99% of your editing needs. I don't know what you do with elements, so cannot answer that question.

Photoshop will allow you to do anything you want with an image, and I mean, ANYTHING.

LR is all about refining a single image and if that is what you are after, go with Lightroom until your creative needs outgrow it.

Enjoy your dSLR.

Edited by MatthewAddison

Lightroom is great for developing a bunch of raw files quickly. It's good for doing "global" adjustments to a photo. If you want to do a lot of backscatter cleanup, or adjustments on a selected item or layer, then you need Photoshop. I use Lightroom, then Photoshop all the time - especially for people photos which need a lot of "touch up."

Cheers

James

Just to pile on, Lightroom is a great answer for you Kirk. I have even stopped using PS for cleaning since version 2.1 came out. I occasionaly still use Bridge when I loose an image on my hard drives but that is about it. Great program easy to learn, the real deal. If you want to do work where you add things to your images that were never there to start with you'll still need PS.

Cheers,

Steve

I agree with Steve, James and Matthew. I switched from Rawshooter Premium and PSE6 to LR/PS a couple of months ago. LR2.x is really excellent and for me does a good 95% of all the editing I need. Its keywording (indexing) and selection/database capabilities are very good and far better than the Album feature in PSE. I havn't quite got my head around the adjustment brush sufficiently yet to avoid the occasional use of the clone tool in PS. But it won't be long.....

If you already have PSE, I'd suggest getting LR2.x and using that, flipping TIFFs into PSE when necessary - but I think you'll find that isn't often. You may never need PS.

Hi,

Adobes original goal with lightroom was that it would do about 80% of the things the PS does, but is specfic aimed towards photographers as oppposed to all graphic artists-which is what PS is aimed at.

With the release of v2/2.1 with its ability for local corrections, I would say this is now more like 90-95% I rarely move over to PS, with the exception of specific things, like stitching panoramas. Lightroom and PS do integrate really well for this kind of thing anyway.

Even the print ouput options in Lightroom are now so good that even if I have exported into PS for a a task, I go back to lightroom to print!

All the best

Adam

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements