I've got my new gear set up for my Nikon D90.

I am planning to use it next week. Aquatica D90 + DS 125 + Tokina 10-17

That is such a cool setup. Is it the 9.25" megagiga dome? What are the advantages over the 8"? The price difference is really big...

I have the d90 with the 10-17 tokina but I haven't bought a housing for it yet. considering the aquatica with ike 160 do I need two? :lol:

The optical connections are of great interest to me, having two Z-240's already.

But I fail to see the smaller size of a Nexus. I have not seen the Aq. or Nexus housing in person but based on this website's data

D90 Housing comparison

I calculate the following volumes: (all volumes listed are x10E6 mm3 values)

Aquatica D90: 4.9

Ike D90 6.8

Nexus D90 7.1

Patima D90 4.2

I called Backscatter and they meaured the Aq. 90 housing, which matches the 0.49m3 volume.

This website

Patima D90 info

The patima D90 volume is 4.65

HOWEVER, after calling Reefphoto and having them measure a Patima, its volume is 0.75 m3

BIG HOWEVER, the Patima D90 CANNOT zoom the Tokina 10-17 as there is no zoom gear on the housing, only on extensions - which will not reach the tokina lens zoom ring, according to Reefphoto.

The website comparisions are funny and dubious at best. From what I have used and seen some of the housing dimensions in the comparison charts does not includes the dimensions of the housing handles. How can the Ikelite be smaller than some housings? And the Patima housings are definitely bigger than the Nexus and Aquatica. Do not that housing websites usually do not put in dimensions with handles. Selective marketing.

No point arguing the form factors over the internet. Best is for one to visit a shop that has most of the housings and hold it in your hands. U will agree with me after you have tried.

The Nexus appears to be the only D90 housing for sale in the U.S. that has optical fiber and can zoom the Tokina 10-17.

Patima cannot zoom the 10-17 but can fire via optical fiber.

Aquatica, Ikelite, Subal cannot fire via optical fiber.

The Nexus appears to be the only D90 housing for sale in the U.S. that has optical fiber and can zoom the Tokina 10-17.

I dun know where your news came from but the Patima housing for Nikon cameras cannot be optically fired. Only the Patima housing for Canon housing is optical fiber ready.

www.patimahousing.com

Patima D90 housing has no sockets for optic cable.

Only nikonos 5 pins or so-called "Patima-type" 5 pins.

Patima D90 housing has no sockets for optic cable.

Only nikonos 5 pins or so-called "Patima-type" 5 pins.

Reef Photo claims to have Patima D90 housings with fiber optics on their way to them now.

That is such a cool setup. Is it the 9.25" megagiga dome? What are the advantages over the 8"? The price difference is really big...

I have the d90 with the 10-17 tokina but I haven't bought a housing for it yet. considering the aquatica with ike 160 do I need two? :lol:

Thanks Knut,

This is the 8" plexi dome. No cash for the 9,25" mega "ubber" dome. I believe that the 9,25" is made of glass instead of plexi which is more fragile. Jean (Viz) can confirm. He helped me to set up my rig (Thank you Jean).

If your plan is to use your tokina 10-17, it means that you want to shoot wide-angle... and you will need light.

Two strobes is better as you will not suffer from strong shadows. If you can not afford to buy another DS 160, you can look for a DS125 on ebay (I bought mine from a pro UW photographer on Ebay). Or even simply get a cheap DS 51.

Before getting this second DS 125, I was using a DS51 as secondary strobe and the result was really good with a canon G9.

See the difference:

One strobe (DS 125): http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigeyebubblef...57609394210014/

Two strobes (DS 125 + DS 51): http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigeyebubblef...57605672470809/

The 9.25" Mega dome is indded made of BK-7 glass and is coated both for antireflection and scratches protection. It also includes the dome shade and dome shade neoprene cover

The 8" and 6" are made from optical grade acrylic.

There are pros and cons for both, glass has a small advantage until you put a scratch on it, then you wish you had bought the acrylic wich can be field repaired very often as well minor ones tend to blend in the water due to the density of both medium being quite similar. Large glass will make you definetly happy when doing split shots or using ultra wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) rectilinear lenses. (but then again the 8 inchers fare pretty well also.

The Patima D90 housing is sitting in the display case at Reef Photo now.

Phil

Peter is more familiar with the wet winky :lol:

The optical connections are of great interest to me, having two Z-240's already.

But I fail to see the smaller size of a Nexus. I have not seen the Aq. or Nexus housing in person but based on this website's data

D90 Housing comparison

I calculate the following volumes: (all volumes listed are x10E6 mm3 values)

Aquatica D90: 4.9

Ike D90 6.8

Nexus D90 7.1

Patima D90 4.2

I called Backscatter and they meaured the Aq. 90 housing, which matches the 0.49m3 volume.

This website

Patima D90 info

The patima D90 volume is 4.65

HOWEVER, after calling Reefphoto and having them measure a Patima, its volume is 0.75 m3

BIG HOWEVER, the Patima D90 CANNOT zoom the Tokina 10-17 as there is no zoom gear on the housing, only on extensions - which will not reach the tokina lens zoom ring, according to Reefphoto.

Dave,

I have the Nexus D90 housing. The Nikon D80 is the same size as the D90. The Nexus D80 housing can be retro-fitted for the D90 (basiclly larger screen and button repositioning). I looked at the Aquatica and ikelite housings for the D80 before chosing the Nexus housing which is smaller and lighter than either of the other housings.

I don't include my ears when I measure for my hat size. :lol:

Regards,

Bob

There seem to be speculation as for the actual size and weight of the housing so here is the Aquatica dimension and weight as measured by yours truly, for good measure I added the dimension with and without grips and the weight is the housing including the grips (you should include your ears when weighting yourself, :lol: )

Specifications of Aquatica D90 from our website http://www.aquatica.ca/subpages/catalog/housings/ad90.html

Depth rating: 300 feet/90 meters

Size: W 8.5” (13.25" with grip attached) x D 5.25" x H 6.75” / W 21.6cm (33.6cm with grips attached) x D 13.3cm x H 17.15 cm

Weight with grips: 6.25 lbs. 2.83 kg

There seem to be speculation as for the actual size and weight of the housing so here is the Aquatica dimension and weight as measured by yours truly, for good measure I added the dimension with and without grips and the weight is the housing including the grips (you should include your ears when weighting yourself, :lol: )

Specifications of Aquatica D90 from our website http://www.aquatica.ca/subpages/catalog/housings/ad90.html

Depth rating: 300 feet/90 meters

Size: W 8.5” (13.25" with grip attached) x D 5.25" x H 6.75” / W 21.6cm (33.6cm with grips attached) x D 13.3cm x H 17.15 cm

Weight with grips: 6.25 lbs. 2.83 kg

thanks for the info.

You appear to have a copy/paste error on the web page you list, it contains a reference to a D80 on the verbage that you might want to correct.

thanks for the info.

You appear to have a copy/paste error on the web page you list, it contains a reference to a D80 on the verbage that you might want to correct.

Thank I will have the web guy take a look into it.

you should include your ears when weighting yourself, :P )

:wub:

Bonjour Jean,

Unfortunately I do include my ears when I weigh and they are getting bigger every year. :lol:

Regards,

Bob of the enlarging ears.

So does Charles of the royal lineage, thank god the royals have t heir private jets, flying commercial, those flapper would have to be checked in as oversize luggage :lol:

So does Charles of the royal lineage, thank god the royals have t heir private jets, flying commercial, those flapper would have to be checked in as oversize luggage :lol:

Our president fotunately has Air Force One :wub:

The website comparisions are funny and dubious at best. From what I have used and seen some of the housing dimensions in the comparison charts does not includes the dimensions of the housing handles. How can the Ikelite be smaller than some housings? And the Patima housings are definitely bigger than the Nexus and Aquatica. Do not that housing websites usually do not put in dimensions with handles. Selective marketing.

No point arguing the form factors over the internet. Best is for one to visit a shop that has most of the housings and hold it in your hands. U will agree with me after you have tried.

I don;t see anything on Nexus website about the Nikon D90. It appears that the website hasn't been updated in awhile. Is the current website: www.usanexus.com ??

If not, where can I get current info?

thanks

kirk

I don;t see anything on Nexus website about the Nikon D90. It appears that the website hasn't been updated in awhile. Is the current website: www.usanexus.com ??

thanks

kirk

You can contact Woody at

info@nexusamerica.com

or Tom at:

mcd2000@marinecamera.com

The Anthis.jp site lists the D90 and D70/D80 to D90 conversions. I don't know if the D90 housing is available in the U.S. as of now.

Bob

thanks

kirk

Dun understand why usanexus not maintaining their website. It's pretty difficult to get to represent Nexus as a distributor afaik. Anyway

www.anthis.co.jp

else

http://www.divervision.com/catalog/product...products_id=956

http://www.fun-in.com.tw/catalog/product_i...roducts_id=1419

for the price differential here and there, I have gotten from Taiwan straight.

You can contact Woody at

info@nexusamerica.com

or Tom at:

mcd2000@marinecamera.com

The Anthis.jp site lists the D90 and D70/D80 to D90 conversions. I don't know if the D90 housing is available in the U.S. as of now.

Bob

I e-mailed Woody and then is what he said:

No D90 housing has been release yet by Nexus. I do not know exactly when it

will be available yet. Sorry.

Thanks, Woody

However, I got in the Anthis.jp web site and there is clearly a housing for the D90 on the site. Problems is I can read Japanese. Definately, does not seem the USA distributor is at all on top of it. Have they went through a few distributors? I has found websites such as USANEXUS.COM and NEXUSAMERICA.COM

The housing looks good, but I'm concerned that Nexus may not be a viable company.

Kirk

I e-mailed Woody and then is what he said:

No D90 housing has been release yet by Nexus. I do not know exactly when it

will be available yet. Sorry.

Thanks, Woody

However, I got in the Anthis.jp web site and there is clearly a housing for the D90 on the site. Problems is I can read Japanese. Definately, does not seem the USA distributor is at all on top of it. Have they went through a few distributors? I has found websites such as USANEXUS.COM and NEXUSAMERICA.COM

The housing looks good, but I'm concerned that Nexus may not be a viable company.

Kirk

Hi Kirk

I was puzzled like you when I was shopping for a Nexus housing.

As a result, I turn my attentions towards www.fun-in.com.tw for my purchase. They are wonderful and were able to ship the D90 housing almost immediately. I received my housing 4 days after I ordered. I got it for US$2400. All my questions were promptly and professionally answered. Give them a buzz or drop them a mail. I will pm you the details if you dun mind.

According to them, they are coming out with a English website for those divers interested in Nexus. They back up all Nexus products they sell. Was doing a video skype with them and they show me that they are serious with a workshop and a pressure chamber in the servicing area.

Hi Folks,

I was originally only looking at getting an Ikelite housing once I got a D90, due to cost considerations and the fact that I have a Ikelite DS 125. But now I'm

seriously looking at the Aquatica housing because of its superior port attachment system and reasonable price. I'm just unclear as to the compatability of my Ikelite strobe with this housing.

So a few open questions for Jean-

How do I connect a DS 125 with this housing?

What parts do I require?

Can I get true eTTL with this combination?

& does the housing have a manual ev controller built in or can one be simply attached?

Regards,

Jim :)

Edited by JimSwims

Sponsors

Advertisements