Hi Jim, thanks for the vote of confidence, you can use your DS-125 with the #4302 Ikelite iTTL converter, you will need a 4103.51 single cable or a 4103.52 double cable if using dual strobes. you can access the exposure compensation functions of the D90 camera for both flash exposure and ambient exposure with our housing. the setup work very well. I run dual DS-125 (soon to be DS-160's) on my D200 housing and am quite happy with the results.

Edited by reefer

I have got myself a new Nexus D90 housing. I run it with a pair of D2000 firing optically. The housing is about 800g lighter than the Aquatica which was also under consideration.

Did 3 dives in Aquatica D90 housing (my buddy's) and a Nexus D80 housing (another buddy's) over 2 separate occassions. In the end, the ability to use optical fibre + electical bulkheads and lighter and smaller form factor won me over.

I also did a try out dive with new Nexus gears over the weekend at local dive site. Works well with good ergonomics. A definite value for money housing at US$2500. Really makes packing and handling easier with its smaller size :rolleyes:

Hi Wideanglelens and other folk.

I would really appreciate your assistance on the Nexus D90 housing topic

• I would like to know how the Nexus D90 housing is performing with the optical fiber firing method?? I am keen to purchase this set up with 2 x Z240 strobes. But as the strobes are fired from the camera's flash i am concerned that the camera's strobe/battery wont keep pace with the strobes 1 - 1.5 sec capability. I really would like to be able to fire of at least 6-8 shots rapidly . Have you or anyone had issues with this fire optic set up slowing down shot frequency & has it been noticable when shooting a shot quick photo sequence, especialy at high power?????

• Also does the housings "video control arms " that open and close the camera'd flash to enable using the video come standard with the housing or did you need to buy them as an option??

• Has anyone used the 45 degree or straight mag viewer, i only shoot about 5-10% macro so i'm wondering if they are worth the expense, or if they are am i better of with the straight mag viewer.??
    cheers
    Reefer

Well I've gone and done it and bought myself a D90 so now I'm researching options and of course getting more and more confused by the minute.

Do I stay with Ikelite housings? :)

If I go Aquatica what are my options? :P

Should I at least keep my DS125? :blink:

If I go Z240 and Aquatica will I have TTL or have to shoot manual? :blink:

Will a Heinrichs converter and the Z240's give me a TTL option? :blink:

HELP!!!!!! :wacko:

and then there's the ports.....................................

The Lens Port/Gear Chart on the Aquatica site states that with the new Nikon 60mm no port is needed????????? So what port is???? :dunno:

And there I was thinking I was getting a clearer picture of the path to go, this is Photographic Sadhana indeed.

The thing is I've got my present rig up for sale, buyers clamoring for it and now I'm not sure if I need to hold on to the Ike' strobe or take the great leap forward without.

Any illumination will be most welcome oh Guruji! :)

Regards,

Jim.

PS: the lens I will be hoping to use are the 18-55VR, 60mmG ED, Tokina 10-17 and eventually the 105VR.

The Lens Port/Gear Chart on the Aquatica site states that with the new Nikon 60mm no port is needed????????? So what port is???? :)

As for the Aquatica, you have 2 choices with the nikon 60mm. You do NEED a port, just not an extension. There are 2 ports availabe: 1) Product # 18426 Auto & Manual Focus Macro port for use with close-up and macro lenses. For all bayonet housing; or 2) Product # 18428 Auto Focus only compact Macro port for use with close-up and macro lenses. For all bayonet housing.

So it all depends on if you want the ability to manaul focus with the port. I looked at the D90 housing for a few month and finally went with Aquatica. Just ordered it last week through Backscatter. I haven't recieved it yet. I did get to handle the camera/housing at OurWorldUnderWater in Feb and liked it.

Kirk

Edited by KirkD

PS: the lens I will be hoping to use are the 18-55VR, 60mmG ED, Tokina 10-17 and eventually the 105VR.

You can shoot each of these lenses with Aquatica. Once you get set up with the 60mm, you'll only need to add an extension and possibly a focus gear if you went with the Port 18426. Then you'll need to see which dome you want for the 18-55 and the Tokina and then pick up the appropriate extension and zoom gears. I have ther Tokina and went with the 8" dome port. From what I have read on Wetpixel, there is some vignetteing with the 6" dome ports, but I did not see anything specifically about that on the Aquatica.

Kirk

I looked at the D90 housing for a few month and finally went with Aquatica. Just ordered it last week through Backscatter.

Kirk

Congrats on your new toy Kirk.

As a fellow D90 owner, I am also curious if you will be using a ttl converter with your Aquatica housing?

At the recent Long Beach ScubaShow, the Backscatter guys talked with me about the problems associated with ttl converters and said I would be better off without one (shooting manual). But because I am a first time DSLR user, I'm not sure how important ttl would be for me.

~Mike

Thanks Kirk for your replies. So what did you decide as far as strobes go then?

Cheers,

Jim.

Congrats on your new toy Kirk.

As a fellow D90 owner, I am also curious if you will be using a ttl converter with your Aquatica housing?

At the recent Long Beach ScubaShow, the Backscatter guys talked with me about the problems associated with ttl converters and said I would be better off without one (shooting manual). But because I am a first time DSLR user, I'm not sure how important ttl would be for me.

~Mike

No, I will not be shooting TTL. I tried before, but was not happy with the results. But that was with a point and shoot. Since, I have shot in the flash manually. Will start somewhere in the 1/2 to 1/4 power range and adjust from there. Remember that there are 4 expose controls: 1) F Stop; 2) ISO; 3) Shutter speed; & 4) Flash. I usually have a f-stop f8-11 for fisheye/WA or F18-22 for macro, set to the lowest ISO, which is 200 on the D90. Using the manual flash to expose the foreground and use the shutter speed to expose the back ground. ISO and F-Stop adjustment affect both the foreground and back ground.

Kirk

Thanks Kirk for your replies. So what did you decide as far as strobes go then?

Cheers,

Jim.

I already have 1 Sea and Sea YS-110 that I was using on my P&S. I plan to add the new version, i.e. YS-100a as my second strobe. I looked at the 250. I just hate having proprietary batteries. I like to use the old recarhargable AA's. Always have a bunch of them handy. I've read stories where someone forgot to bring the charger for their stobe and couldn't find a replacement on the trip.

Kirk

I looked at the D90 housing for a few month and finally went with Aquatica. Just ordered it last week through Backscatter. I haven't recieved it yet. I did get to handle the camera/housing at OurWorldUnderWater in Feb and liked it.

Kirk

Hi Kirk,

have you got your new toy yet and if so have you been for a splash with it?

One thing I'm sure of is with all the research :dance: I've been doing into housing this baby, there is very little information online for any independent

assessment into what is going to be a very expensive purchase for me. That goes double for the Nexus option, it's all Japanese to me. I'm sure they

must be losing sales as a consequence. Housing a DSLR for the first time is very perplexing, especially when playing mix and match with add-ons and

the lack of solid information explaining all options and any pitfalls on the manufacturers websites doesn't give a remote buyer the confidence required

to move forward. I know I'm probably :P but I guess in some cases this lack of info is designed to direct buyers to distributors and to

consequently discourage accessorizing with alternative brand items.

Anyhow, stepping down from my little soapbox now :) The other day when I was discussing getting one of the compact dome ports for the Tokina 10-17mm

a knowledgeable friend suggested that there could be some issues with reflections when using one. Is anyone out there using the Nexus Fisheye Port ZP1017

or the Aquatica 6" Port. Can these domes be effectively used with the 10-17, is there vignetting with the shade on and if you have to use that way do you

have any issues with reflections particularly near the surface? Cheers,

Jim ;)

Hi Kirk,

have you got your new toy yet and if so have you been for a splash with it?

No I have not recieved my housing yet.

Kirk

Hi everybody !

I 've just recieved my Nexus housing !

Can anybody e-mail me please ?

I'm looking for an english notice... :angry:

wideanglelens,

Were you able to use the TTL mode on the D2000 flashes, or did you adjust the settings manually? I'm looking at upgrading my old P&S setup with a D2000 by getting a housing for my D90. If I could re-use my old optically fired D2000 flash on the Nexus housing, that would be a big advantage over selling the D2000 and getting a housing with electrical bulkheads.

-davelew

I have got myself a new Nexus D90 housing. I run it with a pair of D2000 firing optically. The housing is about 800g lighter than the Aquatica which was also under consideration.

Did 3 dives in Aquatica D90 housing (my buddy's) and a Nexus D80 housing (another buddy's) over 2 separate occassions. In the end, the ability to use optical fibre + electical bulkheads and lighter and smaller form factor won me over.

I also did a try out dive with new Nexus gears over the weekend at local dive site. Works well with good ergonomics. A definite value for money housing at US$2500. Really makes packing and handling easier with its smaller size :)

I have a D90 in an Aquatica housing I am testing now. So far I like the small, compact size and big trigger as well as large playback screen.

Will send full review and pics soon.

The Dome chart that comes with the Aquatica body says you need a thin extension ring for the 10-17, although I have just been using the 8" and no ring at 10mm with no problems or reflections. I haven't put the zoomer on to see what it does at 17.

But to answer the question above, I doubt it would work with a 6" dome.

Best,

Timbo

I shot the 10-17 / 6" dome combo in Sipadan last year with no issue at all.

I find the 6" dome a real advantage when lighting close focus wide angle situations.

My 2 cents

Peter

I use the 6'' dome port, fisheye dome shade and a small #18456 extension and hade great result so far, i will post some shot I did at the Digital Shootout in Bonaire this week end, (out of touch with my computer for a few days), i'm with peter on that one, it's a breeze to light up this kit and it really packs well.

Peter et al,

That's good information on the 6" dome.

Here are a couple of CFWA taken with the Aquatica AD90 Housing and 8" dome with the Tokina at 10mm. Also a wide angle shot.

I have been enjoying it so far.

Best,

Tim

post-1081-1246668677.jpg

post-1081-1246668690.jpg

post-1081-1246668701.jpg

I've been using an Aquatica with a D80 that I bought from another member for about a year now. The housing is really well built with excellent workmanship. I can only guess that the D90 housing would be even better. I did have a problem with their moisture alarm, which goes off as soon as the battery is inserted, and stays on. They never responded to my e-mail about it. As far as the housing products, are concerned though, they are quite impressive. - John

I've been using an Aquatica with a D80 that I bought from another member for about a year now. The housing is really well built with excellent workmanship. I can only guess that the D90 housing would be even better. I did have a problem with their moisture alarm, which goes off as soon as the battery is inserted, and stays on. They never responded to my e-mail about it. As far as the housing products, are concerned though, they are quite impressive. - John

I had the same problem. I took a knife and split the two wires down by the sodering points on both wires and then ran the knife gently between the 2 sodering points to make sure that the soder did not spill onto the other. I did this on both points, put the battery in and now it will only go off when I test it with my wet fingers. I got some feedback from the forum and actually it is under Aquatica Moisture Alarms. Check it out for other suggestions.

Kirk

I had the same problem. I took a knife and split the two wires down by the sodering points on both wires and then ran the knife gently between the 2 sodering points to make sure that the soder did not spill onto the other. I did this on both points, put the battery in and now it will only go off when I test it with my wet fingers. I got some feedback from the forum and actually it is under Aquatica Moisture Alarms. Check it out for other suggestions.

Kirk

Will Do, Thanks!!- John :nea:

OK, I was testing the new Aquautica housing for the D90 for the folks at Aquatica. While we were shooting the stills, we slipped the camera into Movie mode every once in a while. It's fast and simple. You just have to remember to pre-focus.

I put a little 2-minute short from Guam on YouTube:

The Anthis Nexus site lists Normal and Multi for the view finder.

Anyone know what that means?

Here is a copy/paste of that portion of the page.

Nexus Digital Master D90 Type1F Type1F Type1MLF Type1MLF Type2F Type2F Type2MLF Type2MLF

ー Viewfinder

Normal Multi Normal Multi

適応ポート Port adaptive

価 格 Price ¥220,500 ¥ 220,500 ¥246,750 ¥ 246,750 ¥252,000 ¥ 252,000 ¥278,250 ¥ 278,250

Ooops, sorry. If anyone tried to look it was on private. Should be public now.

AD90 Video clip:

Tim

The Anthis Nexus site lists Normal and Multi for the view finder.

Anyone know what that means?

Here is a copy/paste of that portion of the page.

Nexus Digital Master D90 Type1F Type1F Type1MLF Type1MLF Type2F Type2F Type2MLF Type2MLF

ー Viewfinder

Normal Multi Normal Multi

適応ポート Port adaptive

価 格 Price ¥220,500 ¥ 220,500 ¥246,750 ¥ 246,750 ¥252,000 ¥ 252,000 ¥278,250 ¥ 278,250

Hi Dave,

I asked Yuzo Kanda about the same thing and here are his replies-

Hello James Thank you for the inquiry....................................................

D90 housing, there are 4 models. Type 1 F ............ yen Type1 MLF ............ yen Type2 F ............ yen Type2 MLF ............ yen Type 1 has only(2x optical cable sockets) for strobes, but Type 2 has both (2x optical cable sockets) and (2 x 5p Nikonos cable sockets) F model is normal finder model MLF is Multi finder model ( pick up lens for wide angle and magnifire lens for macro photographing come with the housing).............................................

Best wishes Yuzo

AND

Hi James D90 finder is a little small, and underwater it is a little long eye point is need for using mask. And it is a little hard to see all corners, so when you take wide angle photo, the pick up finder attachment lens help to see easy all angle and it helps to check full angle. And when you take macro photo, magnifire attchment lens on finder helps focusing. but at this case it is impossible to see full angle. You can see only center part. And if you would like to get more big and clear finder image, then I recommend to use INON 45 angle finder or straight finder.

Thank you Yuzo

I'm getting the Nexus myself in the 2F model with basic viewfinder for now and will get the Inon 45 degree at a later date.

HTH Cheers,

Jim.

Edited by JimSwims

Sponsors

Advertisements