verstodigital

Subal 60mm & 105mm Flat Port Diopters

Hi all,

I am currently looking for advice on external diopters for my Subal D2 system. I'm going to be using either the 60 or 105mm Nikkor with the appropriate Subal port and want to know what the best options are. Currently I have found Nexus Push-on Closeup Diopters to be very cheap and possible just what i'm looking for or there is the MacroMate Lens for SLR Underwater Housings which is about $500. If anyone has any experience of these two products or is aware of something else far superior - please let me know.

All the best

Warren B

Hi Warren,

You might want to try a search - this has been covered.

As I recall the Nexus needs modifying to fit the Subal.

Best regards,

Paul C

Edited by PRC

I know of three wet diopters, the Nexus (Woody), the Inon and the MacroMate. The Nexus will fit on the 60 and old 105 mm Subal port, but will not fit on the new 105 VR Subal port (port diameter is larger). Also they give different magnifications, the Nexus is the weakest, followed by the Inon and the strongest is the MacroMate. As the strength increases so does the working distance to the subject decrease, loss of DOF and difficulty with focus. You can get a flip down attachment for both the Inon and MarcoMate. I've been told that the MacroMate is just to difficult to use. Ryan and Richard at Reef Photo are a good resource on this subject.

Elmer

I currently use a Canon 1DS Mark 3 in a Subal housing. Before this set-up, for two years, I had the Canon 5d in an Aquatica housing. Note these are both full frame sensors. I shoot 99.9% of the time, the 100mm lens for macro images. I wanted closer cropped looking shots without cropping them topside so I bought the Macro Mate. I have been using it extensively over the last two years. I love it. :) It was difficult to use at first, but you get used to what you have to do the get the shot you want. It takes practice though, but hey, what doesn't take practice. I also shoot a 1.4x teleconverter with my 100 and love that set-up too. I always have my Macro Mate on, so I can flip it down when I want, with the 1.4x set-up. That is extremely difficult to find your small subjects through the viewfinder but when you find it you can shoot it with out too much difficulty if it is not moving too fast. You can generally get some shots in focus but the 1.4x tele + Macro Mate did take me a lot more practice. I have been trying that set up now for most of this year, over 250 dives and most of those were macro. I have not tried either of the other two diopters mentioned, but I love the Macro Mate and has been worth every penny i spent for it. I also have had my husband's engineering abilities to thank for an easier time of shooting these set-ups. He made me a gear that transfers your manual focusing from down on the port to up on the housing body's zoom gear. I have had this for both my Aquatic and Subal set-ups. The Subal is new to me since June. I have dove over 150 dives on it. When we first got it and put my new gear on it (he just modified the Aquatica design to fit the Subal), Subal's zoom gear was a bit hard for me to turn. So he made me a new knob to put over the top of Subal's and made it great fingertip control. This also made it easier for me to quickly focus on these small subjects. I can also use a 2x tele if I want to. I will be trying that set-up next month. The Macro Mate on that set-up is going to be crazy. I hope I don't feel like tearing my hair out after that first dive. :P I hate to plug stuff here and am not sure if it is okay in this forum, but we are now selling the gear set-up I mentioned above, as it seems others have had the same problems as myself. I hope I have given you some insight on shooting with the Macro Mate. I would never dive without it. :)

Jody

I know of three wet diopters, the Nexus (Woody), the Inon and the MacroMate. The Nexus will fit on the 60 and old 105 mm Subal port, but will not fit on the new 105 VR Subal port (port diameter is larger). Also they give different magnifications, the Nexus is the weakest, followed by the Inon and the strongest is the MacroMate. As the strength increases so does the working distance to the subject decrease, loss of DOF and difficulty with focus. You can get a flip down attachment for both the Inon and MarcoMate. I've been told that the MacroMate is just to difficult to use. Ryan and Richard at Reef Photo are a good resource on this subject.

Elmer

I have the MacroMate and I really like it on my subal.. I don't find it hard to use at all and would recommend it. I have used it now off and on for a couple of years.

js-mmf.jpg

Elmer

There is also the Sub See (3x) diopter from Reef Photo:

http://www.reefphoto.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=1700

I have a 100 mm diameter "Woody's" diopter and I use it on my 110 mm port. Woody suggested that I cut out the center of a 110 mm port cover and insert the 100 mm diopter. Works fine and might try this on the S&S 105 port.

http://nexusamerica.com/

Look under Woody's Diopter tab.

Regards,

Bob

Sponsors

Advertisements