Sign in to follow this  
m.eppoliti

Advice needed for P&S system

My friend would like to get a P&S camera and housing for a trip we are taking in January. He is totally new to U/W photography and he has asked me for advice. Too bad that I know nothing about P&S systems.

He only wants to spend $250 to $300 for the system, and has no problem with buying a used (including ebay). Currently he is considering a canon sd600.

Any suggestions?

Hi m,

Check out the housing for the 600 from B&H Listed here. It's a cute little system that's pretty foolproof. It won't get your friend many Alex Mustard quality images, but they will have a lot of fun. Tell them to get real close. My wife carries a similar one for her little Canon. It's great for taking shots on the boat too.

Have fun!

Steve

I suggest going for the SD630 or SD750 with Canon housings. They forgo the viewfinder for a larger screen, which is really helpful UW. The SD750 sells new for $335 (Camera+Housing) on B&H. I still use my SD630 occasionally since it fits into my BC pocket and it does produce some really nice photos. You won't have all the bells and whistles of larger P&S or dSLR systems, but it is a great way to start UW photography. You can later pair it up with an Inon D-2000 (or Sea&Sea YS-27) strobe to get that extra light.

Just be warned, once hooked to UW-photography, the urge to upgrade will come soon and will be expensive. :)

Edited by Dunadin

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements