scott_nielsen

quick release camera strap? also magic filter?

ok, I just got my nikon D300 and so far, she's sweet! question, does anyone know where I can get a camera strap that has clamps or latches for quick release so I can quickly take it off to use in my housing. Also alex what size magic filter for this camera. Scott

Hey Scott,

I may be able to help a little. The filter size depends on the lens you plan to use and the camera. I believe the 10.5mm is different than the 16mm for example. If your using the Tokina 10-17mm the Nikon version has one size where the Canon is another. Probably best to check out the Magic Filter website. Sorry I forgot what lenses your starting out with on your shiny new camera.

I'm not clear from your question on the strap what your trying to do. Are you looking for a camera strap that has quick release attachments or a housing strap. :)

Steve

ok, I just got my nikon D300 and so far, she's sweet! question, does anyone know where I can get a camera strap that has clamps or latches for quick release so I can quickly take it off to use in my housing.

What housing are you using? It makes a big difference how much extra room you have in side the housing?

Also alex what size magic filter for this camera. Scott

What lens do you wish to use it on. You will either mount the magic filter on either the front, or the back of the lens. So the question is what magic filter do I need for XX lens, not which do I need for XX camera.

thanks steve and william. I'm looking for a camera strap that i can use topside that easily comes off so that when i want to put it my housing, it's quick. The strap that came with the nikon d300 is a pain to put on and off quickly.

the lens i have now is a nikkor 60 mm, the wide angle stuff comes this week. scott

Hi Scott, on the topic of quick release strap, please do yourself a favor and stay away from theses, I have flooded in the past due to the small left over attachment on the camera getting stuck between the O-ring and the back of the housing and have heard about a few incidents/close call as well. I would really encourage you to take the time to strip the camera from its original strap (or after market strap) and leave the strap attachment as butt naked as can be.

Here is the link for the Filters dimensions and spec's http://www.magic-filters.com/shop.html

BTW the D300 ISO performance + magic filter = mucho potential :)

Edited by Viz'art

I had the same problem as you. But I just went down to a keymaker, and bought two of theese... Standard keychain-"hook" or what to call them. I havn't seen any marks on my camera yet after a year with theese on, although I don't have them on for most of the time. And if you remoe them, there is nothing to get stuck between the housing and o-ring.

Total lenght w/o strap 5,5cm...

post-22350-1227713938.jpg

thanks guys, don't want a flood, hush, very BAD word. I think I will take the advise from the pic above. Scott

Standard keychain-"hook"

There you go Smart Wetpixelians brain at work. :)

forget the nikon strap, its junk. i was a PJ with my camera strapped to me 9 hrs a day for 2 1/2 years. I use this strap, which has quick loop connectors, easy to take off and the strap is stretchy neoprene, feels like half the weight.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1182...rap_Black_.html

this particular one is a touch short for me (same length as the nikon), but they make other bits & pieces in their system making it very customizable, mine's been lengthened a bit. Cheers,

Chris

I had the same problem as you. But I just went down to a keymaker, and bought two of theese... Standard keychain-"hook" or what to call them. I havn't seen any marks on my camera yet after a year with theese on, although I don't have them on for most of the time. And if you remoe them, there is nothing to get stuck between the housing and o-ring.

Total lenght w/o strap 5,5cm...

In my opinion the standard key chain hook is a bad idea. I had a similar chain hook on a older Nikon F3 and the sides of the camera took a real beating. Most of the paint on the camera came off due to the metal to metal constant rubbing.

I wore afraid the paint would come of on my camera, but it havn't yet. But again, the most time it's not attached to the camera. And I havn't seen any marks so far.

I used similar clips on my strap and then slid thin pieces of tubing, actually heat shrink tubing, over them to help protect the camera.

I think some of the folks who advised you against this have not seen a D300 up close. The D300 has some nice swiveling loops built in to the camera itself, which are ideal for attaching a camera strap via clips. I think you would have to remove these steel loops with bolt cutters if you really wanted to avoid them, and then you would have no way to attach any sort of camera strap. The built in loops add zero risk of flooding in my experience. (See image below)

I use a strechy neoprene LowePro strap which has rubber grips that hold on to your shoulder and nice clips that will not mangle your camera. It's easy to attach and remove when you need to house the camera. So dump the cheapo Nikon strap and get something nice like the one recommended from BHPhoto.

Dave

frontview.jpg

thanks guys, don't want a flood, hush, very BAD word. I think I will take the advise from the pic above. Scott
Edited by davehicks

Wow, wow, wow, slow down every body, when I start reading bolt cutter in the same sentence as delicate camera gear, I put my foot down, the "D" rings as they are known in the business do not have to be removed. some manufacturer including us will advise the user to either remove OR tuck away these small D rings, they do not need to be cut away, if you remove the small plastic sleeve you will notice that they are similar to a key chain ring but smaller and indeed more "bitchy" to remove.

I personnaly have never needed to remove them, I do warn agains't third party strap that are supplied with little extension that remain on the camera D ring, these have caused me a flood in the past (mentioned earlier). I now personnaly use a pair of vintage Nikon wide strap, the wine coloured on one body and the bright yellow on the other body. What I have done to make it easier to slip the strap through the buckle is to cut the tip in a point and melted it with a candle and flatenned it with a hammer, making a rigid tip that does not fray and slip easily through the buckle.

The clip mentionned is a good approach, especially the shrink tube covered one. I personnaly do not use this method because of the clinking noise that can ruin the shot when doing bird or wildlife (I guess that is why there is not a lot of wildlife photographer / raper out there :uwphotog: )

thanks all, not to worry, NO BOLT CUTTERS near my new camera. Going to Bonaire this Saturday and am having John Wall at Buddy's help me put my housing together and to teach me how to put it and the WA stuff together. I wanted some professional help before she goind swimming for her first time. Hopefully we will have a great trip. This will truly be a learning curve for me and really excited. Especially since it's snowing here in the mtns today. Scott

Snowing here also, look like its going to be one of thoses winter up here, enjoy the trip !

On my D80 I use a strap from OptiTech that has Fastech buckles and is pretty easy to unthread the small ends from the camera lugs. Very comfortable to use as well.

Jack

I got tired of unthreading my strap and went shopping for a new one. All the quick release straps I found used plastic buckles that left a small strap and part of the buckle in the way. I could not find any of the older straps that I had years ago with the metal hooks on the end. I purchased four small j-hooks made of plated metal and threaded them on to end of two plain straps. I now have two quick release straps that work great on my gear. You need to be sure to hook them from the camera side out so the mouth of the hook is away from the camera. They haven't put a single scratch in my camera.

Edited by nopro

Sponsors

Advertisements