Sign in to follow this  
m.eppoliti

105VR in Raja Ampat

I'm off to Raja Ampat in January and I have rented a Nikon 105VR. I am shooting a Nikon D100 in a L & M Titan housing. I have the regular flat port (not the VR port). Light & Motion has told me that the regular port can be upgraded for use with the 105VR (new gear in the port). I can still use the 105VR in my regular port, I just won't be able to use the manual focus. The upgrade is $250 + $50 for a used focus gear.

Do I need to have the ability to manual focus the lens or will autofocus suffice? I am basically trying out the lens to see if I want to buy one. I have a 60mm that I will be using as well.

I would personally not get the manual zoom gear. I find the 105VR autofocus very good in almost every situation.

The AF/Manual focus over ride is one of the main reasons I got the VR. The AF is a lot faster than the old 105, sometimes too fast. On some low contrast subjects (translucent ghost pipefish for example) it will search alot, like the old model. But with the VR I have instant MF by just touching the focus knob (while holding shuttle release 1/2 way down). To go back to AF just release shutter & start over. No special ports & no need to change AF/M or C/S/M setting on camera body.

Edited by jcclink

I haven't used the manual focus yet, so I think you will be fine without it, especially if you already have a focus light.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements