Sign in to follow this  
rereynoso

Help! Should I sell it or keep it?

So I'm hoping you guys can all help me out in this dilemma. I have a Light and Motion Bluefin HD housing and a Sony FX1 that I love, but here's the rub. 2009, due to familial issues, I'm not going to be traveling too much, and so I've put the rig up for sale. The idea being, that I can sell it, use the money for day to day life, and then in 2010 buy a new rig. Now, it seems I'm not going to be able to sell the rig at even 50% off, and I don't know if it would be smart to sell it at less than that, so what do you guys think? Should I keep it and continue shooting with it when I'm back to traveling in 2010, or will HDV be obsolete by then? I do shoot stock and have sold a bit to the Travel Channel and what not, I just don't want to keep it and then be stuck with something that will do me no good in a years time.

I'm thinking of selling it and getting a small 1 chip HDV camera for now, and perhaps either buying a big rig in 2010, or just rent the bigger rigs when I get work, again in 2010. Figure I can shoot my reel and stock footage on the 1 chip camera. What do you all think?

Any advice you all can give will be greatly appreciated.

In this market, you'll find that many people will not be upgrading in the next year at least. Just look at how many rigs are for sale out there and NOT moving, I only recently sold my old DV rig because someone wanted it badly. It went for 1/4 of what I paid for it, and that includes a customer WA lens. Would it be worth more 2 years ago when I should've sold it? Yes.

Since you shoot for work, you just have to judge how much your income will be and if it will cover a new rig. I doubt HDV is going to be obsolete in many places since SD is still accepted.

So I'm hoping you guys can all help me out in this dilemma. I have a Light and Motion Bluefin HD housing and a Sony FX1 that I love, but here's the rub. 2009, due to familial issues, I'm not going to be traveling too much, and so I've put the rig up for sale. The idea being, that I can sell it, use the money for day to day life, and then in 2010 buy a new rig. Now, it seems I'm not going to be able to sell the rig at even 50% off, and I don't know if it would be smart to sell it at less than that, so what do you guys think? Should I keep it and continue shooting with it when I'm back to traveling in 2010, or will HDV be obsolete by then? I do shoot stock and have sold a bit to the Travel Channel and what not, I just don't want to keep it and then be stuck with something that will do me no good in a years time.

I'm thinking of selling it and getting a small 1 chip HDV camera for now, and perhaps either buying a big rig in 2010, or just rent the bigger rigs when I get work, again in 2010. Figure I can shoot my reel and stock footage on the 1 chip camera. What do you all think?

Any advice you all can give will be greatly appreciated.

I upgrade my photo and video gear almost every year. I sold me D200 Sea & Sea house for a good price less than a year after I bought it because it was still hot, while I upgraded to a D300. If you wait too long to upgrade, your gear will continue to depreciate. You also have to factor in what you will be using it for and obviously what is in your budget. If you can swing it sell it and buy new when your ready and buy the latest technology. If you wait around for a better economy you could be waiting a while. By time the economy turns your rig will be worth a lot less.

Mike

Just sold a friends cam and housing for her with lights. She had the SD Sony 950 and USHV(I think that was the housing) with Night rider lights, all in mint shape, and the best I could get for her was 2k.

This stuff isn't like buying a Harley which retains its value...as soon as a new housing/cam combo comes out, you own gear is worth so much less is laughable.

Steve

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements