Alex_Mustard

Your Favourite Photo of 2008

I took this at the beginning of 2008 in St Croix, US Virgin Islands. We went in the water to photograph hamlets, but when I noticed this guy i forgot all about the hamlets and inched my way closer to him.

It's my favorite shot because it was unexpected. Taken with D2x and 105mm.

287534973_BapQz-L-2.jpg

Wow, such beautiful photos....amazing. This is why I love this website so much, I learn. Thanks guys and happy holidays. I have two, one with my oly 350 and one with my new nikon d300.

eagleray2.jpg

Eagle Ray Bonaire, Nikon D300

6ScottNielsen.jpg

Wakatobi house reef, Oly 350

What an impressive array of photos all!! Enjoy the stories & reasons just as much..

Taken in Ambon's harbor, at a site sometimes referred to as the Twilight Zone..I had been promised a rare daytime glimpse of Mandarin Fish on this site.Right they were. Under the jetty, past the Blue Ring Octopus,beyond the debris dumped by the local fish processing plant, sheltered in the filtered light, there in rubble covered by Black Long Spined Sea Urchins, the beautiful little dragonets fluttered a bout. When I first saw this pair rising above the spines, my first thought, after being skunked earlier on dusk dive, was Mating!! However closer inspection revealed that was not the case, and as the shutter clicked I worried about seeing a duel to the end.

Not my best photo, but by far the most fasinating behavior captured by me, and a definite favorite of 2008

439394290_xuiTb-L.jpg

Taken with an Olympus 330/Olympus housing/ 50mm lens/Inon strobes

Edited by Quinn

Like others, not necessarily the best of the year, but it was my first outing with my new rig! Jellyfish Lake in Palau. Total luck - and a little cropping :)

post-14526-1229742036.jpg

What an impressive array of photos all!! Enjoy the stories & reasons just as much..

Taken in Ambon's harbor, at a site sometimes referred to as the Twilight Zone..I had been promised a rare daytime glimpse of Mandarin Fish on this site.Right they were. Under the jetty, past the Blue Ring Octopus,beyond the debris dumped by the local fish processing plant, sheltered in the filtered light, there in rubble covered by Black Long Spined Sea Urchins, the beautiful little dragonets fluttered a bout. When I first saw this pair rising above the spines, my first thought, after being skunked earlier on dusk dive, was Mating!! However closer inspection revealed that was not the case, and as the shutter clicked I worried about seeing a duel to the end.

Not my best photo, but by far the most fasinating behavior captured by me, and a definite favorite of 2008

439394290_xuiTb-L.jpg

Taken with an Olympus 330/Olympus housing/ 50mm lens/Inon strobes

I remember that exact dive! :) I got stuck at the blue ring..

My favorite is the most recent little manatee that I fell in love with, this photo is from 3 days ago. My husband dubbed him "Torpedo", because of the way he playfully darted around amongst all the other manatee. We have been observing him for over a month now - as I think it was mid-November when I first photographed him and his mom, who BTW really does seem to enjoy "showing him off". :)

Torpedo & Mom

Manatee_Torpedo_Mom-1.jpg

Now I've seen Hammerheads at Blue corner and German channel but jelly fish lake??

Edited by PIG004

Here's mine

After a chat with Martin Edge earlier in the year I wanted to play with dusk sunlight.

I found some Lionfish hunting siversides in open water on the housereef in Marsa Alam and 'Flailed Away' with the Tokina 10-17.

Not brilliant shots but with a yellowing sun against the blue water I was very pleased with the results.

post-6945-1229760603.jpg post-6945-1229760633.jpg

Wishing all you 'Wet Pixies' a Merry Christmas

Nige Wade

Edited by under pressure

I remember that exact dive! :) I got stuck at the blue ring..

Not a bad subject to be stuck with Mike, especially when you get it to yourself!! :monkey:

Happy Holidays & Good Luck on the new venture with Simon in Lembeh..

Cindy

Rand> truly amazing shot of the jellyfish!

I have yet to visit tropical waters but here is one of my favorite shots from cold waters (4 degrees at the time of shooting).

IMG_1910.jpg

Here's my favourite and its story. Taken about 15m down in Loch Fyne Scotland, the fish - a black goby - was peering into the discarded beer bottle when I first saw it. As I approached, the fish swam head first into the bottle, but being a rather fat fish it had trouble getting in and had to thrash its tail around to push itself into the bottle. After a couple of minutes I got this shot. Unfortunately, a designer commented that it rather looked like the British prime minister, Gordon Brown, contemplating the economic crisis from the depths of a bottle, and I'm reminded of this every time I look at the picture.

post-1587-1229773738.jpg

2008 has been a good year; many great shots for me and lots of good memories. Lots of time spent diving with new friends I've met directly or indirectly through Wetpixel.
Our favorite shots are not always the most technically perfect, but often those that do more on a personal emotional level. I do two very different things in my underwater photography - in a pool studio, it's all about visualization and control, in the wild it's all about trying to show something the way I saw and wondered at it.

In my pool work I've made progress in setting up my 'studio' and I have lots of ideas for 2009 with some pool shoots already scheduled for January. Here's one that shows some control of lighting and control by my excellent model.

Image removed at the request of the photographer.

In the wild, my favorite shot; is of the same subject as Carol's manatees. I think one of the hardest things to do underwater is to tell a story, unless it's something obvious like a dead finned shark.
For me the composition of this image tells the story of an ever watchful mommy manatee hanging in the background as her little one curiously checks me out.
Sun streaming through the water just the way I saw it, another difficult thing to convey underwater.
I'm also very pleased that the image is 100% available light, and my first outing with the D700.

Crystal%20River2008-12-046149.jpg

Edited by adamhanlon

Here is mine,

I took this photo on October in Elphistone. I didn't crop the image, after I took this photo with a Tokina 10-17mm it bumped my front port. It was a really cool experience swimming with the oceanics.

Oceanic_001.jpg

Edited by DavidG

Guys...don't forget the story behind these fantastic images. I'm riveted to the seat reading these things while looking at the world's best photos. Reading the passion behind them is quite a gift....thanks all and Merry Christmas!

I have had this photo in my brain for 8years, since before I started taking pics U/W. In Sept I repeated the Northern wrecks and reefs of the Red Sea and redived the Carnatic. My only regret my Sigma 17-70 was not wide enough for the shot I wanted. So at this time of year it is a shot looking back and forward. I will go again. With I hope a Tokina 10-17.

Seasons Greetings to all on a great web site,

Tim Diggerpost-7708-1229799447.jpg

A wonderful thread with some very special images...

Here is mine: Skeleton shrimp taken of a dusk dive at Barren Island in the Andaman Islands taken in April. I think it looks like a salsa dancer complete with Carmen Miranda hat.

post-8189-1229801721.jpg

Taken with Nikon D80 with 60mm lens with Woody diopter in S&S housing with 2x Ike 125 strobes.

Happy Holidays everyone!

Robin

Edited by secretsea18

Here's mine: A giant pacific octopus from Alaska. This guy was out and about in a shallow palm kelp forest near Port Alexander. At the time I was really bummed that I had the 105 on the camera instead of the 10-17 but in retrospect I think it was for the best as I really like this shot.

_DSC1847.jpg

Clinton

Jeff,

Your pool shots take my breath away.

Well done you!!

And a merry christmas.

Nige Wade

wow, lots of wonderfuls shots here. great job everyone.

Here's my favorite behavior shot from 2008, a Bobbit worm capturing a goatfish, in Anilao. This action happened in less than a second, when the fish swam over the worm, the worm struck with lighting speed, and immediately the fish and worm disappeared into the sand, all that was left was a cloud of smoke. Nikon D300, 60mm lens, f8, cropped photo.

440147543_gBZut-L.jpg

Edited by sgietler

My favorite (from our Red Sea Trip :lol:

We were doing the (now infamous) "Dive 4 wrecks on one scooter dive and be back on the boat before breakfast" dive (Marcus, Carnatic, Ghanis D. + 1 more ?)

The shot is noisy and not really in focus, but is easily my favorite that I shot this year, as I am always blown away when I look more closely and see that the white "smudge" in the middle is a diver, which I think really shows off the scale of the wreck, & the vis.

357793483_eV8DB-L.jpg

Always have fun reading this post and figure I should actually contribute this time.

This is my favorite shot of the year. At the time this photo was taken, I was kicking as hard as I could to get into position and my mask was filling with sweat. This was our third dive that we had actually spotted "Big Senor", but prior to this pass I didn't have any great shots and I was not going home empty handed. Many thanks to the diver in the foreground for organizing and inviting my wife Jill and I along on a spectacular trip. It's been a struggle to get a decent print, but apparently I think it's worth the time investment to keep on trying.

I'll stick with the rules and just post this one (maybe someday I'll post some others from what's been a good year).

Taken at Darwin's Arch, Darwin Island, Galapagos. Female whale shark at 105 fsw. Canon 20D, Tokina 10-17mm

_MG_3723-3.jpg

Edited by Sagen

Sponsors

Advertisements