Alex_Mustard

Your Favourite Photo of 2008

Some beautiful photos!

This is from my trip to Indonesia (Raja Ampat to Lembeh via Halmahara aboard Ondina) in May/June. I spent an entire dive on this coral pillar. As is often the case, this photo doesn't do the scene justice. There was quite a strong current, so I had to really hang on (dead pieces of coral), but the soft corals and multitudes of small fish just made it a magical site/sight for me. As with many of the other photos in this thread, the reason for it being a favorite is not its technical excellence, but rather its ability to bring back that experience.

312815958_6TtbA-L-2.jpg

One of my favorite's was taken in Palau about 1 month ago, not because of the subject matter or composition, but the encounter itself. I was following this hawksbill, mostly just watching and observing it feed and swim around, totally ignoring me. It stopped to rest, so I thought I would go around to the front to get a quick shot and be on my way. I didn't want to disturb him, so I proceeded slowly getting a little closer so my Subal D3/16mm could capture him in full frame. As I approached every so 'quietly', inching a little closer to the optimum range, he started approaching me, until he bumped my housing dome port. He didn't back off far enough for me to get him in focus. So I just savored the moment as he and I just stared at each other. Then I backed up just enough to get him in focus and snapped this image. After which he seemingly just sat there and contemplated his encounter, as did I.

430847641_aTGcb-L.jpg

This shot probably will eventually be one of my favorites - my wife using my video rig for one of the first times. Part of my Master Plan. Get her hooked so I will be forced upgrade to the next video set up, she gets that one and it will all be her idea. BWAHAHAHA. Shhh, don't tell her :cry:

Video.jpg

I was above her heading to my safety stop when I saw the stingray, made the stingray sign and pointed so she started the camera rolling. As I was watching I thought it looked cool as the ray started moving over the sand and she started moving over and down to get the shot. Got a couple of shots off and it was fun to see the footage she shot during this sequence.

2008 has been a hell of a year for me in so many ways and a thanks for big part of that should go to everyone who takes the time to post here. Technical advice and raw inspiration are in abundance here like nowhere else, add to that Wetpixel Quarterly, and my head spins...

Here is my favourite shot, it marks for me the moment it all clicked in place and I started to feel I was getting it...

3140234137_c379d935e6_o.jpg

So far my reasons are...

1) A wonderful location,

2) A wonderful subject,

3) My first SLR, that had, up till this point, only been making my life hard, I realise now that difficulty for me was simply a momentary learning process and this was proved to me by my ability to find the settings for this shot quickly and make the most of wonderful opportunity. (I owe a lot to Martin Edge for this. Martin your book has been my bible.)

4) I discovered the joy of working in post production, when moving the sliders and clicking the buttons has little effect on making the image much better than in the RAW. Knowing that you got it right in camera is a good albeit rare feeling. (I'm working on improving the ratios of duds : those with potential : those you just know...)

5) The satisfaction that comes from the positive feedback from others, especially those who's work you admire and those who share your passion for the underwater world.

Thanks to everyone for the all the help (direct and indirect). I Hope 2009 fulfills all your wet dreams... (couldn't resist that one)

Edited by ozanners

Great photo ozanners..i want it on my wall:-)

Cheers

Gassa

Edited by gassa

Hi everyone,

I've got one picture under/over that I like from this last year. To be more acurate, there is one under and one over.

Both of them from the Maldives. I liked the first "over" because of the skyline :cry: and the second "under" because of small/big mix (anemone fishes and manta)

Have a wonderful new year 2009 with plainty of bubbles...

Michel

post-671-1230387507.jpg

post-671-1230387531.jpg

I look forward to this thread every year. Ozanners, your shot takes my breath away. This is my favorite for 2008, funny but my favorites are always from the last dive I've taken. I love the look of sweetlips, and I was happy to get this "ball" without blowing out the glassy sweepers. Using a D200 / Subal, 16mm fisheye and Inon strobes pulled waaaay back. Fletcher post-3320-1230418044.jpg

Hi there,

great photos flowing around here, :cry: Thanks for sharing your work.

I enjoy this photo because it's a very common subject in the Atlantic Ocean but I had never seen it with this new blue colors. Usually it's golden brown. I think it changes colors in the mating season. Taken in the Azores in late June 2008. Automatic WB.

post-4315-1230426887.jpg

Nikon D70, Dual YS-110, Nikkor 60mm Macro, f/8 1/320s Iso 200

Edited by Carlos Morais

Tiny Box fish, Kona Aggressor, July 2008. Had to chase this little booger all over his home reef. I have many, many photos of his tailfins, but I showed him whose evolved didn't I? :cry: Nikon D70s, 60mm, single Ike DS-125.

DSC_4987-48-8.jpg

Edited by johnspierce

There are some incredible images in this thread!

Here are my two favourites

The squid shot because its a very rare subject to find and i've wanted to photograph since I got into photography 2 years ago.

2746492690_f42530b81e.jpg

and the seal shot because it reminds me off an incredible animal encounter I had.

2382608014_64c1af5b11.jpg

Lets see what 2009 will bring!

Cheers

Cal

post-11877-1230444128.jpg

I took this photo during my annual pilgrimage to South Australia with Rodney Fox. This 3.5m Great White was not at all shy and was making slow loops out of the gloom towards the cage 18m down.

I was hanging out of the window looking through the viewfinder and as I saw him coming closer I was zooming out from 24mm to 12mm. It was only as he filled the viewfinder at 12mm that I raised

my head and realised he was a lot closer than I had thought. I didn't know it was possible to move so fast when you were frozen to the bone after being in 15C water for two hours,

but adrenaline is a wonderful thing!

Happy New Year everyone

www.flickr.com/photos/juliancohen/

julian@juliancohen.com

Awesome shots guys!

Here's two of my favourites from the Perhentians, Malaysia.

Porcelain Crab (Lissoporcellana sp.) I felt lucky to find this one on the outside of the soft coral, they seemed to hide inside most of the time.

2654892019_57d15382a7_o.jpg

Close-up of a Shuttlecock Egg Cowrie (Volva volva). I just like the mantle shape and colours

2593034607_917b5e4368_o.jpg

I was hanging out of the window looking through the viewfinder and as I saw him coming closer I was zooming out from 24mm to 12mm. It was only as he filled the viewfinder at 12mm...
This is the kind of patience I'm looking for. :cry: Great shot.

Cal, I just love those colors in the squids

Edited by Nakedwithoutcamera

Hi All,

This is my favourite from Bali, Tulamben for this year......

3464-15.jpg

tried linking again, hope it works....thank you Alex for the alert.....

Edited by h2o

Here's mine. My trip to Indonesia was definitely the highlight of 2008 and here's my favorite pic from the trip:

anemonefish_web.jpg

I'm really enjoying everyone's pics. Thanks for sharing and I wish you all the best for 2009! :cry: Robyn

h2o - that image doesn't show up for me. I think your photo host does not allow hot linking. Try attaching it.

Alex

Just wanted to join in, on the fun... Here's mine, taken on my recent trip to Lembeh and had the chance to meet the lovely couple, Mi & Si. :cry:

backlitscorpionfishzj2.jpg

Ed.

All of my friends, buddies and colleagues are going to be astonished that finally I am making my first post on Wetpixel. My resolution for 2009 is to find the time to participate more and be behind the scenes less. I guess Eric can congratulate me when he gets back from Antarctica. Everyone else can feel free to bust my chops now, I can take it :cry:

I saw this thread and figured that this would be a good time to jump in. I must say - fantastic images from everyone.

I couldn't make a decision on 1, so I settled for two (ironically from the same trip). So here are my 2 favorite shots of 2008, because they tell a story...

I have been to North Sulawesi three times now, on this third trip I was on assignment for Sport Diver, and there were two specific shots I HAD to create to be satisfied. First, I envisioned this shot for a two-page spread opener - it would be a split shot of the Manado Tua volcano at low tide on a sunny day in really shallow water with as many corals on the underside as possible. I felt that this shot would tell the story of a feeling I get every time I hit the water in the Bunaken area of North Sulawesi (anyone who has been there knows the ubiquitous presence of this volcano). I told myself that I just had to come home having nailed this shot. I emailed the dive operators ahead of time (my good friend Jim Yanny from Eco Divers, and the North Sulawesi Aggressor) and let both of them know that I HAD to get this shot, even if that meant renting a boat for an entire day to not piss off all the pther passengers. As luck would have it - it was the perfect sunny day, at the lowest possible tide, and we had done two dives already and everyone was doing an extended surface interval - so I skipped lunch as they motored me to the perfect spot. It was hard to find an area where the coral was alive and not rubbled or bleached from being 10,000 degrees in 2 feet of water under the Indonesian sun, but I found a little nook and the image I had in my head finally came to life. (It was also the first time a US distributed D3 had been underwater, so I was pretty psyched all around).

I hope you enjoy it as much as I did the the experience of making this image.

jheller_09502.jpg

Second shot would be portraying the story of how the non-endemic Bangai Cardinalfish has infringed on some of the anemone habitat of the clownfish in Lembeh. This was a phenomenon explained to me by a marine biologist from the New Jersey aquarium the first time I was in Lembeh in 2003. Since those guys where everywhere, this shot was just a matter of patience and focus. Apparently there are "unknown ramifications" of this habitat infringement. I thought this image told the story well.

jheller_4254.jpg

Jason, I always wondered what your screen name was here. :cry: Well, I think you definitely nailed your two shots. Especially the second one. It really tells the story. I hadn't known that the Bangai were interlopers. I couldn't wait to get to Lembeh to get a shot of them.

Thanks Nakedwithoutcamera!

You should see them in real life. there simply jaw dropping. The colours shift and change to produce some dazzling effects

Cheers

Cal

Sponsors

Advertisements