Alex_Mustard

Your Favourite Photo of 2008

Jason, I always wondered what your screen name was here. :cry: Well, I think you definitely nailed your two shots. Especially the second one. It really tells the story. I hadn't known that the Bangai were interlopers. I couldn't wait to get to Lembeh to get a shot of them.

Thanks Ellen. Apparently transporters from the reef aquarium trade are responsible for accidentally bringing the Bangaii to Lembeh. The marine biologist from NJ is the world's foremost expert on this species and I was fortunate to be there with him while he was doing research on the matter.

Cool - he's friends w/ my friend Frank Marini. Small world.

Cheers

James

Jason

I'm gonna "Bust your Chops"

How could you Keep such brilliant images from us "wet pixies" for so long? (Having said that they're worth the wait)

Now you're posting LETS SEE SOME MORE!!!!

Absolutely love the Bunaken shot, it brings back some wonderful memories of some stunning diving.

Thankyou for sharing.

Nigel Wade

My most favorite:

My first encounter with an Eagle Ray in the red sea.

post-1070-1230592489.jpg

Edited by ilanbt

Truly amazing shot's here! Thank You all so much for sharing them.

Here is my favourite from 2008. It's not the same high end level as most pic's posted here, but still I like it.. :cry:

Taken two days ago in a local lake. Water temperature 1 degree C (34 Fahrenheit) and wis no more than 6 feet.

A look on the lake shore through the ice and my own exhaust bubbles trapped under the ice.

post-22881-1230663167.jpg

Scubamoose

Here is my favourite from 2008. This was from my third try to see the Marsa Abu Dabab resident dugong, with the first two tries failing due to unexpected (at least to me) shut downs of diving in the bay. However, the third time the bay was open and I finally managed to see a dugong. It was a glorious dugong week, with this dugong seen on 4 dives and another one totally unexpected just swiming by on the safety stop at a wall dive a fair distance from a bay.

97506625.jpg

Regards

Bent C

Dear friends,

here's my favourite for 2008. Happy shooting in the new year!

--Rob

Since I noticed there are a lot of really great pictures of u/w wildlife and landscapes and even if I already post one,

I'm posting one of my wreck diver shots. I like it pretty much especially because it was my first try shooting using a

remote/slave strobe... and result were not so bad. :lol:

This image was taken in St-Laurence River in Canada... so it is green water here !

post-5606-1230689206.jpg

post-22909-1230725299.jpg

This is my favorite with the new camera. Finally got the 'Green Light' from the wife and managed to pick up a Canon 30d and ikelite housing nice and cheap....Took it out in the bay after work to try it out and test for leaks then had a day of and took it tec diving. We were looking for sharks at the canyon at Eel Garden but no joy so we headed back to the reefwall and drifted along Shark Observatory at Ras Mohammed. This shot was at about 6m deep. Natural light ('amber light' for strobes at moment!!!) ISO 100, Tv 1/250 to capture sun beams f3.5, 10mm on Canon 10-22mm, 8in Dome howeever the extention is not the specific one for the lens and as a result the lens sits forward in the dome a bit far.

It is my favorite for a couple of reasons:

1. The camera went to 60m without flooding

2. Managed to get off/on boat with stages and not break myself or camera

3. Captured sun beams for the first time

4. I think it sums up Shark Observatory well as you get barren walls that are shaded from the sum and then an explosion of colour and life where light hits the reef....

This is as shot with a minor boost in the exposure in lightroom....

Duncan

Santa forgot my strobes....boo hoo........

So many amazing photos, it's overwhelming. This thread is great! :lol:

I had the best year of diving in my life, Red Sea with Subal and ULCS friends, Tawali PNG with Ned and Anna Deloach and Paul Humann and 5 months in Bonaire. What a life, I have to kick myself sometimes. Needless to say got to work on my skills, and have a bunch of keepers this year. But for this thread I picked a personal favorite for a couple reasons. I never shot nudi's before, "too easy," but now I know. What an amazing range of sizes, shapes and colors. I also never shot in the muck, so of course now I'm addicted. I'm thinking of filling the swimming pool with silt and see what grows. :) This was one of many I saw in PNG, and of course this is how I found it; no nudibranchs were harmed in the making of this photo. This guy captures all of the above and sums up my year.

Happy New Year!! :(

DSC_61374.jpg

Nikon d200, Subal housing, single Ike DS125, 105mm, f/22 at 1/125th, minor adjustments in Aperture

Edited by Bruce Zavon

What an amazing group of shots. Keep them coming.

This is my favorite of the year as it was on a Galapagos trip that included many firsts for me.

First Whale Shark

First time diving with large schools of big predators.

First time I've had a playful sea lion try to pull a fin off my foot and blow bubbles in my face.

First time I was able to dispell my long time claim that ' I don't get seasick ' :lol:

Our DM (in the photo) was swimming along beside this guy and signalled me to stop. He proceeded to turn it in my direction and it actually swam right over me within a couple of feet.

Thanks to all the fine Wetpixelians for sharing their knowledge and help this year.

WhaleShark.jpg

Edited by dmoss

I dont now :lol:

May be this

12305907br.jpg

or may be this

12275563ne.jpg

or this

12257445lN.jpg

or this

12275587AJ.jpg

12235769yY.jpg

12122256YD.jpg

12120507ev.jpg

12057764bL.jpg

I dont now, please, help me

Happy New Year 2009

Carlos, you very clearly do not need any help. :lol:

Happy New Year,

Steve

My little contribution for the topic.

Happy New Year for all.

post-15186-1230752994.jpg

Best regards,

Tigershark

Hey guys - all of these shots are great. Nice work folks! Enjoying this.

The day after my sister's wedding I was doing a deep dive in Savu Savu in Fiji (KoroSun Dive). On the safety stop I was joined by a lovely school of curious bat fish. It made it very memorable

2098464-3-a-school-of-friends.jpg

Happy new year for 2009 wet pixies - Im looking forward to more inspiration and learning

PS: My New Years resolution is to get an image or story "printed" in a dive magazine in 2009.

Thank you all for the good stories and the very inspiring photos. I had a creative idea and got into the pool with my friend the "stunt fish". I shot a series of photos on the topic "freedom is an illusion", and received a lot of positive remarks from both divers and non divers.

It is the first time I have tried to create some more artistic underwater photos, and I'm happy with the result. It would be nice to get some feedback from you guys.

freedomuj2.jpg

It is very hard to pick one photo as my best this year. This year I had the opportunity to dive a lot in Norway. To me, it is a wild and unspoilt beauty to dive the temperate waters on the west coast and in the arctic part of Norway. I hope to see more pictures from temperate waters from fellow Wetpixel members in 2009.

kelpkingfi6.jpg

aquariumvq3.jpg

Definitely this year's greatest diving experience: diving with 10-15 stingrays mating in the Maldives

stingraysqr8.jpg

Edited by Lasse

I was fortunate enough to do more diving this past year than in previous years. And, the best part of all was that I got a chance to dive in Indonesia for the very first time. Selecting one image may have been easier in the past, but this year it was especially difficult. But the image that is my favorite was one taken in Tulamben in Bali.

Jeff Mullins, with whom I took an underwater photo course, pointed me in the direction of this Coleman Shrimp. Fortunately, it all seemed to come together on this shot.

Coleman_Shrimp_BaliDSC_4382.jpg

I hope everyone gets to capture many wonderful images in 2009. I look forward to seeing them here in this thread at the end of the year :lol:

Ellen

I dont now, please, help me

Carlos,

Maybe this will help you:

"Photo" = 1

"Photos" = more than 1 :lol::)

Great shots, though.

post-6677-1230892003.jpg

Here's my offering - November 2008 at Tulamben, Bali. Mantis Shrimp with clutch of eggs. No post editing yet.

Nikon D2X, Subal housing, 105mm Nikon lens, Inon Z22 Ringflash, F18@250.

more on www.scubasnaps.org

Cheers,

Chris.

Well. I meant to do this a couple of weeks ago, but have been distracted by a nationwide outbreak of coughs, snuffles and other diving-incompatible symptoms (not that I have been "dry": I have done four dives in water of less than 5 Celsius, 'though none were terribly attractive).

My favourite, but too reminiscent of Alex's post 9 pages ago:

post-4522-1230899537.jpg

So, in the spirit of cheating, I offer this, a shot that I have wanted to take ever since I first read about the limestone fascination of Palau:

post-4522-1230899652.jpg

And, in parting, a real cheat, being a composite of two images from the same (cold!) dive before the holidays:

post-4522-1230899865.jpg

Happy New Year!

Tim

:lol:

Hope I'm not too late, but here are my favorites. Both were taken on my editorial trip for DivePhotoGuide.

Portrait of a blue ribbon eel in Bali

DSC_0004-Edit.jpg

Bumphead parrotfish in Borneo

DSC_0017-3.jpg

Sponsors

Advertisements