Sign in to follow this  
chphoto

Do I need light for Focus Assist

Hello, I am very new to underwater photography. For my first underwater set-up I will use Fuji F100FD, which has a decent low light focusing performance. How important is it in your opinion to have a flashlight as a focus assist? I have seen people use it, but also I have seen some very serious underwater sets without one.

Hello, I am very new to underwater photography. For my first underwater set-up I will use Fuji F100FD, which has a decent low light focusing performance. How important is it in your opinion to have a flashlight as a focus assist? I have seen people use it, but also I have seen some very serious underwater sets without one.

A good practice is to do a search,

http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...cus+light\

:lol:

Hi Eugene!

Little information about the same topic http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showt...hl=aiming+light

If You'r takeing pics in low light circumstances or the water is quite murky, then focus light might come in handy.

Happy snapping :lol:

Scubamoose

In what kind of waters are you diving? In low-light conditions, your camera wil benefit from every light you point at the subject.

I can't do without my fantasea led focus light in the murky waters overhere (below 5m, dark), just a small bundle light to even see what I am pointing my G9 at.. the focuslight turns off when the strobe flashes so you wont have unwanted highlights, something that is next to impossible to achieve when you illuminate the object with a divinglamp.

Thanks. Usually ocean water. Clarity may vary. Normally depth 20-100 feet.

In tropical water, a focus light helps with macro, particularly if the subject is in a nook or cranny. It's not necessary with wide-angle.

Some focus lights are more like movie lights, and can replace strobes, but upset nocturnal and night-time creatures.

In macro photography the strobes overwhelm the focus light, but in wide angle a bright spot can spoil the image unless the focus light is inhibited by the strobe flash, and will obviously spoil an ambient light image.

Tim

:lol:

If you plan to night dive. Certainly. Otherwise it depends on conditions, subjects etc.

Most photographers have them.

Alex

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements