Sign in to follow this  
Scuba_SI

What is the best cheap strobe on the market today?

I currently use and own Ikelite 125's, 200's and an Inon z240.

I know for sure the Ikelite 200 isn't a brilliant strobe but it is powerful and has it's uses from time to time (mental note to recharge the batteries when i get home :lol: )

The 125's are workhorses for me and although i love them i think they are getting past their prime and might need to be put out to pasture as rentals or sold on.

The z240 seems good, but it is so confusing that at the moment i dont want to contemplate using it in manual with my dSLR, and i only have one of them.

So, does anyone use any of the new Sea and Sea strobes that has owned any of the above combination in the past? The 110alphas use 4 x aa which appeals to me, how does their real world power compare to the DS125 and z240?

The new 250 looks cool, but the propeitory battery will end up giving me the same headache as my DS125's did 6 months ago, and they look a lot harder to take apart when it comes time to change the batteries. Although if i got them i think i'd be able to move on my Ikelite 200's. hmmmm. Help!

So, do i sell all my Ikelite stuff and buy a pair of S&S 250's is the general question, with possible distractions at the checkout from the YS110Alpha. Oh and the Ike DS 160.

It's not like i need to get this stuff tomorrow, because my DS125's are still lovely. But if i ever go on a trip i cant take all this crap with me, so need to find a product that covers most my needs (i cant afford a seacam flash ).

Cheers,

Simon

PS. If no one knows i guess i'll have to pick up a S&S250 and do a review/comparison.

Ummm... let me show you the subtronic Nova just to show you what POWER really is :lol:

The 110a are not as bright as the Z240.. at least 0.5-1 stop from what I saw in Indo last month. Z240s are pretty much the darling of the compact flash right now. Powerful, compact and right up there with the DS125 in power if not more. It also uses AA batteries, which for me means I can use AA batteries for focus light, strobes and flash unit etc etc. 1 Maha 801 charger and 24 AA 2100 imedions keep me going. Better than 4 different chargers and batteries.

Now of course if I'm going to a place whereby I need 120° beam and lotsa power, that's why I'm looking at Subtronic and Seacam right now. I'm also seeing if 200HMI will do the same job since the 5D2 can shoot stills as well.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements