snowscuba

Strobe Lighting Beginner

Hi,

I was finally able to put my rig together. I was impressed with how long the arms get with the 7", the 5" and the S&S conector plus the clamps.

Here are 2 things I would appreciate some help with:

- How would you suggest I hook the fiber optic cable to the arms? I noticed the strobe can be very far from the camera for a wide angle shot, the fiber optic cable gets all stretched out.

- Besides that one famous flash based strobe positioning guide, is there some articles on strobe positioning for beginners?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks

Hi partner,

I can't help you with the fiber optic cable, I use wires. Your strobe positioning question is one that everyone has an opinion on and they can tell you what works for them for the type of shot they are trying to make. Without a little more information from you on where your diving and the type of image you're going for, it's very hard to answer globally. My best recommendation is to pick up a great book from Martin Edge titled "The Underwater Photographer" as a good starting point. The first lesson I learned years ago was to light the subject without lighting the water between the camera and the subject. Martin does a very good job of describing the different ways to accomplish that, whether shooting wide angle, fish or macro subjects.

Good luck,

Steve

The two most recommended books/authors in my experience are:

Martin Edge, e.g.

http://www.amazon.com/Underwater-Photograp...6341&sr=8-1

Jim Church, e.g.

http://www.amazon.com/Jim-Churchs-Essentia...6390&sr=1-1

I use little black plastic cable ties to make "eyes" along my arms and string the FO cable through them.

Hope that helps!

Steve ... "Jinx, 10 cent coke" - although technically you beat me by a few seconds.

:lol:

Have a happy and a merry everything!

Hi Jeremy,

Great answer, I beat you by a minute. :):lol:

Cheers,

Steve

- How would you suggest I hook the fiber optic cable to the arms?

I use Velcro cable ties (and I'm so obsessive that I have green on the starboard side of my housing and red on the port....) through the machined holes in TLC or Ultralight arms.

There's an image in the thread on electrical cables below. I use short arms (still controversial, but cf Martin Edge's book).

Tim

:lol:

Hey Guys,

thanks for all the advices.

I have removed the smaller arm for now. I think since I have no experience dealing with strobe arms, I should start with a small setup and then add the second arm when I get more comfortable. At least for the first couples dives I think I will go with the one arm piece.

I have also added some zip ties to keep the fiver optic cable close to the arms.

Please take a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks so much and happy holidays!

post-6601-1230161697.jpg

post-6601-1230161720.jpg

That looks like a great starter setup Snow - it would be hard to improve on it.

Cheers

James

As long as the added zip ties don't restrict that cable movement, you don't want to kink it, then you've got a great little setup. Now we expect photos!!!

Sponsors

Advertisements