Sign in to follow this  
newmanl

Hello from Port Coquitlam, BC

Hi Folks,

I've been a lurker for a while and after getting a little recent experience with underwater photography I thought I'd like to participate.

I got certified in 1978 and mostly dove wrecks in the Great Lakes (Ontario) until 1984 when I did a stint in Grand Cayman as a dive Instructor (NAUI). Then, back in Ontario continued wreck diving until I moved to Vancouver to start my career as an Aquarium Biologist (now a Curator - spending much more time than I'd like pushing paper instead of getting wet) in 1990. Shortly after moving to Vancouver I went back for a week-long technical dive trip to the "Empress of Ireland" in the St. Lawrence River at Rimouski - quite a wreck diving career topper if there is such a thing. I dove for work (collecting specimens) for a few years than got offered a position in the Tropical section. I slowly gave up the cold water and now only dive in the warm stuff - too much Ontario ice diving has finally gotten to me (my hands are never warm in cold water anymore).

As for u/w photography, my friend and mentor Guy Pelland got me started in Grand Cayman with a Nikonos, but it didn't stick when I left Cayman. Now, some years later and as an avid and published aquarium fish shooter, I have an Ikelite housing for my Canon 30D and spend most of my time trying to work out the next trip - Bonaire in April '09 if the creek don't rise!

I've learned a ton on this site for the past year and look forward to learning more and hopefully, being able to contribute from time to time.

Thanks Folks!

Lee Newman

welcome Lee, good to see another Lower Mainlander here..

Guess you have quite some time to post now with that nasty weather out there :lol:

Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Do you work at the Vancouver Aquarium? Can i dive with the Belugas if i ever make it home? :):)

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the welcome. I understand there's a few of us here. I hate to admit it, but yes, the weather does have its advantages! Thanks for the encouragement to post some images - although given the quality of work that get's posted here, maybe I need to practice more... a lot more, before I do. Regardless, I'll post because I'll learn from any feedback!

Guilty as charged - I've been at the Aquarium for almost 19 years. Belugas? The sharks would be an almost no-brainer, but with the Belugas I may have to call in a favour or two! Give me a little notice when you're going to be in town again and I'll see what I can do! Heck, if we're going to meet, I really should be coming there... you know, for some high-level reef research...

Thanks again for the welcome.

Lee