Sign in to follow this  
mreid

Red Sea Trip

Considering a trip to dive the southern Red Sea and would like to know which airlines fly from London (which airport is best) to Marsa Alam. Paris to Marsa Alam is another consideration or maybe even Amsterdam. Appreciate any info. Haven't been to the Red Sea in many years. In search of "clear water."

Considering a trip to dive the southern Red Sea and would like to know which airlines fly from London (which airport is best) to Marsa Alam. Paris to Marsa Alam is another consideration or maybe even Amsterdam. Appreciate any info. Haven't been to the Red Sea in many years. In search of "clear water."

AFAIK the only London flights to Marsa Alam depart from London Gatwick airport & are operated by Thomas Cook/Thompson charter flights. Takes 5 hours & expect to pay £200+ return.

R

Hi,

if Frankfurt/Germany is also an option, you might want to have a look at these websites for the Marsa Alam flights:

http://www.airberlin.com

http://www.condor.de

Both will charge you extra money for dive gear (I think per way, not per kilo/pound).

Regards,

Jock

As someone has said, currently only Thomson and Thomas Cook fly to Marsa Alam from London. The current prices are nearly £350-400 and they are, without a shadow of doubt, both the worst airlines ever. Think Ryanair with less legroom and ruder staff.

We are returning to Marsa Shagra in June but, as my partner refuses to fly with Thomson/TC, we are flying into Hurghada and paying extra for the transfer (£30 each) which takes 2-2.5 hours. Easyjet flights to Hurghada cost me £160 each including all the extras such as sports luggage allowance. It is certainly worth considering.

Daniel

I'm also travelling to the Red Sea (going onboard the Royal Evolution) in July 2009. We've been told to board the boat at Marsa Alam. I understand that Egypt Air flies from Cairo to Marsa Alam but I couldn't find flights online. Has anyone flown from Cairo to Marsa Alam? The charter flights by Thomas Cook don't operate everyday and since I'm based in Hong Kong it's a pain organizing flights.

I'm also travelling to the Red Sea (going onboard the Royal Evolution) in July 2009. We've been told to board the boat at Marsa Alam. I understand that Egypt Air flies from Cairo to Marsa Alam but I couldn't find flights online. Has anyone flown from Cairo to Marsa Alam? The charter flights by Thomas Cook don't operate everyday and since I'm based in Hong Kong it's a pain organizing flights.

Have you tried egypt air's own website? I used American Express Travel services to book.

Have you tried egypt air's own website? I used American Express Travel services to book.

Yes, I tried Egypt Air's own website. In fact I just tried booking through their website 5 minutes ago but no flights are available. I guess I'll try Amex and hope I'll have better luck. Thanks.

If you are having difficulty finding a flight to Marsa then you could always consider flying into Luxor, rather than Cairo, and then travelling overland. It takes a while (5 hours) and you can only go at certain times of the day because all vehicles travel in convoy. It is an option. Your operator would be able to sort it out. You could alway add a day to the trip as well and see the Valley of the Kings/Queens and the temples.

Just an idea

Daniel

Do Thomas Cook have a premier economy, or extended legroom part of the cabin? I once went from Gatwick to Hurghada on Monarch airlines. The outbound set had roughly a 28-inch seat pitch. It was thoroughly miserable. Somehow I got an exit row seat on the return, and what a difference!

HI,

On most fights you can pay to have extra leg room seats, just came back from Sharm & flew with Thomson

you can pay for extra leg room at check in.

Andy :dancing:

Do Thomas Cook have a premier economy, or extended legroom part of the cabin? I once went from Gatwick to Hurghada on Monarch airlines. The outbound set had roughly a 28-inch seat pitch. It was thoroughly miserable. Somehow I got an exit row seat on the return, and what a difference!

Not as far as I know - you can pay a premium to get an 'extra-legroom' seat (exit aisle or in front of/behind the washrooms) but tbh the last time I did this I wish I hadn't bothered; the space was taken up by other passengers standing up to relieve aching limbs - aching from the cramped seating position that is :dancing:

R

Try www.expedia.com ... they offer, amongst other airlines, Egypt Air. Online booking directly with Egypt Air is difficult.

Cabin crew told me recently that British Airways will be operating London - Sharm (and London - Male) flights from October. British Airways have a great baggage policy for divers. The initials BA have been said to stand for many things down the years (most not complementary) but these days they stand for Baggage Allowance.

Alex

The initials BA have been said to stand for many things down the years (most not complementary) but these days they stand for Baggage Allowance.

Bloody Awful would have described my last experience with BA. Royal Jordanian fly into Sharm which is an option for those of us coming from Asia/Australia

Edited by RedSeaDiver

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements