Sign in to follow this  
funkcanna

Ikelite Strobe and One beginner Question

Hi all,

I recently purchased an Ikelite Housing for my Nikon D300 and am now looking to purchase a strobe(s). Just a couple of questions:

• Is one or two strobes recommended for UW? On land I own many lights so not sure how this relates to UW!
  • Will the DS51 do the trick or is the remarkably low price compared to its bigger brothers telling of its quality?
  • I am an avid land photographer and mainly (not exclusively) use manual settings to trigger my SB800's. In UW photography is TTL or manual preferred?

Also, my other UW beginner question - I recently got back from Maldives and my first trip with housing. I got back to find most of my shots were out of focus ever so slightly. Im a technical perfectionist so this almost killed me! I was shooting on available light only and had my 60mm Macro wide open. Shutter speeds from 1/40 to 1/320 were affected by this out of focus appearance. Would this out of focus issue be caused by me using AF to focus and then having the water move me slightly making the low DoF take my focus point out of focus? Or is there another trick to UW focussing I dont know about?!

Cheers all and happy christmas!

"You can never have too much light u/w." Two is better.

The DS-51 is a quality strobe, but low power compared to its bigger (and more expensive) cousins. IHMO, get two DS-125s or better.

Manual strobe control is commonly used u/w. TTL is nice to have.

DOF problem. With the 60mm wide open, DOF is very narrow and it's easy to have focus issues. With dual strobes, you can blast away with smaller apertures for more DOF.

Happy holidays.

What stobes you want depends entirely on what you are intending to shoot and how you want to light your subjects. The DS51 is an excellent stobe for macro work. The DS 125 and 200 are better if you also intend to do wide angle work.

Thanks both - I guess primarily macro shots are what I want but I dont want to be exclusively tied to this - thanks for your input, much appreciated.

Lee

Hi Lee

Your Auto focus problem is probably do to low light levels. You may want to use a focus light to help assist the AF. Search here on Wetpixel for focus light and you'll find some good info on them.

Mike

Available light and macro photography are not a good combo. You really do need a strobe for good macro shots. As mentioned the wide open appeture you are forced to use without a strobe are going to result is out of focus photos. Once you get a strobe you can use an appeture of f/16+ and get much better results.

Hi all,

I recently purchased an Ikelite Housing for my Nikon D300 and am now looking to purchase a strobe(s). Just a couple of questions:

• Is one or two strobes recommended for UW? On land I own many lights so not sure how this relates to UW!
  • Will the DS51 do the trick or is the remarkably low price compared to its bigger brothers telling of its quality?
  • I am an avid land photographer and mainly (not exclusively) use manual settings to trigger my SB800's. In UW photography is TTL or manual preferred?

Also, my other UW beginner question - I recently got back from Maldives and my first trip with housing. I got back to find most of my shots were out of focus ever so slightly. Im a technical perfectionist so this almost killed me! I was shooting on available light only and had my 60mm Macro wide open. Shutter speeds from 1/40 to 1/320 were affected by this out of focus appearance. Would this out of focus issue be caused by me using AF to focus and then having the water move me slightly making the low DoF take my focus point out of focus? Or is there another trick to UW focussing I dont know about?!

Cheers all and happy christmas!

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements