Sign in to follow this  
Scuba_SI

Anyone using the Sea and Sea YS-250 with or without ttl converter?

Hello All,

I'm wondering if anyone has real world experience with the above strobe? I've heard rumours that it has a flaw with the pressure release valve leaking and killing battery packs. Does anyone have any experience with using this strobe over longer trips?

Secondly, does anyone use it with the Sea and Sea ttl converter?

Happy New Year :lol:

Hi

I got my YS250 in November and have used it 15 times since with no problems, and am very pleased with the strobe, its power and recycle time.

I do not use the TTL converter I always shoot with manual strobes.

Sorry guess I was not much help

Karen

Thanks Karen,

I normally use manual, but i'm feeling lazy here in Lembeh and would like to have the option of ttl at high power when going past 4:1 macro, and for fast moving octopus :lol:

Stop hammering facebook and wetpixel and go diving, then you can give me a full review :)

Thanks Karen,

I normally use manual, but i'm feeling lazy here in Lembeh and would like to have the option of ttl at high power when going past 4:1 macro, and for fast moving octopus :lol:

Stop hammering facebook and wetpixel and go diving, then you can give me a full review :)

damn it I have been found out, back to diving tomorrow yippee

Have fun and Happy diving

Hey Si,

Now why do you have to go and start rumors like that? I've had great luck with my 250's. I'm taking the TTL converter to Cayman in three weeks. I'll let you know how it works out.

Have fun,

Steve

50 dives on mine so far with no problems- I dont find that I have any use for TTL converters- I typically keep the strobe set a 1/4 power and adjust with the dial as needed as I hone in on the subject- last week I nailed about 6 shots on a fast moving octopus with it!

Thanks guys.

Good to know that they dont seem to flood with a few dives. Anyone got a few hundred dives with them? :dancing:

Eric, i am not trying to make this into a ttl vs non ttl thread. I just want to have the option of something different on my dives.

The two fifty's rock !!! More power than most people need.

2 x YS250 Pro, looooots of light. I haven't had a chance to test them in viz above 2 meters though.... :dancing:

Edited by Tjsnapper

Hello Simon!

I have used two of them a lot of times (100+) and the only problem I have had with flooding was my fault for not counterturning the back (it then cracked due to overpressure). I have always used them with the iTTL converter and it really works consistently.

I went for it... :D

I got a ttl converter III, 2 YS250's and 2 YS110's :D The 110's performed well on ttl tests above the water. I'll try out the 250's in the near future.

I went for it... :D

That's great Simon, thanks for doing your part to keep the global economy moving. Let us know how they work out.

Hey David, have you used the TTL with your 10-17 or only macro?

Cheers,

Steve

Simon:The iTTL converter for the 250s (I think reference 50115) is different than the one for the rest of strobes so it may not work with both models...

Steve: I have tried it with tokina+kenko 1.4x and it works well. As with any wider lens, you will need to dial down one or two steps depending on the amount of "blue" you have on the image (in one or two dives you will know it prior to shooting). For regular tokina dives I prefer to go on manual.

Have a happy new year!!!

OK, So i have the 50112 :D

Doesnt work accurately with the 250's.

If i get the model for the YS250, does anyone know if it will still work with YS110's etc?

Cheers,

Simon

Ouch, that's gotta suck. The S&S TTL module is slick but without update-able firmware it's limited to the models now with no real future proofing. The Heinrich Weikamp, which is what the S&S module uses at its core, does have firmware update-ability. Simon, I'd send the unit back and ask for the HW instead.

Does anyone have experience with both the S&S ttl convertor and the Heinrichs as I'm looking at getting one for my S&S 250's and I'm not sure which one to get?

I did use the YS-250 manually for about 3 months and am now on the Heinrichs converter. Happy with the strobes themselves, about 15 dives. Most of the research done was asking shop owners and reading Wetpixel.

Also happy with the Heinrichs, the only difference to the Sea&Sea converter being the TTL adjustment hidden behind the plexiglas cover, out of range during a dive, then again I don't play with these much. There are a few stories on Sea&Sea converters flooding, however I have no personal experience with one.

Lost flash ability on 2 dives so far, when water got into the TTL bulkhead (not inside the housing), need to change that o-ring, but that's it really.

I love the fast recycling time of the YS-250.

Cheers,

Simon

Edited by simonmittag

I got my model 50117 converter today. I'm testing it with both YS250's and a YS110's - i cant get either to give more than a tiny flash.

It's set up the same way as my previous converter. all 5 pins connected. Anyone got any ideas? On the Sea and Sea D300 housing, what is the difference in wiring for the special converter port?

Hello I need some help.

I have an Canon 400D, and 2 inon z-240, but they don´t work in ttl without a converter.

Last year I bought a Heinrichs-Weikamp e-ttl mk III converter, but never used it, for one simple reason, wich are the pins I have to soldering the 3,6V battery, could you help me please?

Regards Diogo

Edited by diogo112

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements