Sign in to follow this  
Mary Malloy

Condensation inside ports

I am travelling to Christmas Island off the Western Australia coast Thursday. It is monsoon season but that's when the whale sharks are supposed to be there. We are anticipating very humid conditions and I was hoping to get advice regarding preventing condensation forming inside my ports. Do I assemble the housing in an air conditioned room or not? What other tricks is everyone else doing?

Thanks for any help

Mary

Hello Mary,

I always assemble my camera and housing with port in an air conditioned room that is usually around 70 degrees. I also load the housing up with as many silica gel (dessicant) packs as I can cram into the housing without interferring with any of the camera mechanics. I have had no condensation problems diving in waters that have had temperatures from 65 degrees to 80 degrees. I also do not open the underwater camera case while out on a dive. I wait until I am done diving for the day before I open the underwater camera case. I use a 16gb card and load a freshly charged battery before I go diving also.

Bob

I am travelling to Christmas Island off the Western Australia coast Thursday. It is monsoon season but that's when the whale sharks are supposed to be there. We are anticipating very humid conditions and I was hoping to get advice regarding preventing condensation forming inside my ports. Do I assemble the housing in an air conditioned room or not? What other tricks is everyone else doing?

Thanks for any help

Mary

Hi Mary and welcome to Wetpixel.

Do a search on the forums using the word "condensation" or "fogging" and you will find a library of help. Short answer is that the drier the air trapped inside your housing the better - and that means closing it inside air conditioning. Yes the housing will be cold and may fog on the outside when you go out - but who cares?

Cheers

James

You have access to truck loads of dry, clean air. Your backgas! Just take an airgun attachment for your inflator hose and use it to purge your housing before sealing it. Sure, closing in a/c works, but later you'll want to swap out a battery or media card...

HTH, Tim

Thanks everyone, I will aim to only opening the housing in an a/c room but failing that the air gun idea is brilliant.

Mary

Thanks everyone, I will aim to only opening the housing in an a/c room but failing that the air gun idea is brilliant.

Mary

Hope you and Alan have a great trip Mary, Break a Fin!

Cheers,

Jim.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements