The main downside is that the style of lighting is very repetitive. Certainly wouldn't want to use it on all my dives.

Yes, I'm bored already. ;)

The stuff I like the most are the real close up shots with patterns, like #1 and #4 in the first series, the fish portraits just seem too flat

Here are some more images. This was my first dive using the ring flash with the 60mm AFS. Which is quite wide on the D700 (and since the firmware update it now focuses even faster).

post-713-1232839174.jpg

post-713-1232839203.jpg

post-713-1232839233.jpg

Alex

I like the second image, possibly because the light falls off a little giving more depth.

I like the second image, possibly because the light falls off a little giving more depth.

same as that.

stew

Alex,

Here's a few shots from when I used your ring flash on my Canon 5D with Inon Strobes.

Joel_Penner_2009_01_21_IMG_7760.jpg

Joel_Penner_2009_01_21_IMG_7786.jpg

and this one... There's some serious backscatter problems on this one. Not quite sure if it was because of the ring flash lighting, but this guy was definitely stirring up the sand a lot!

I wanted to post this so you could see the lighting in the back of the throat. (But's it's a failed image in terms of quality).

Joel_Penner_2009_01_21_IMG_7807.jpg

It was fun to play with tupperware last week! The ring flash was an interesting idea, but I'm really excited about the other tupperware products you were using. I'm planning on making my own of those before the next trip!

Thanks again.

Alex, an absolutely fascinating thread, with some cracking results. The hair on your sensor/ lense is making me twitch though :D I think I'll be trying to make on when I get back next week and get my second flooded strobe repaired.

Tried the ring-flash in Lembeh today, where there are many more subjects suited to it. This was taken with D700 + Sigma 150mm + Canon 500D dioptre. F11 @ 1/10th. ISO 400.

2188_3420192890009745023_7349_n.jpg

Alex

i think this looks like the best so far. great colours Alex.

The hair on your sensor/ lense is making me twitch though :pardon:

I looked three times, before I found what You were talking about :)

Nice shot's tought!

You will be all pleased to know that I cleaned my sensor when I was at home between the Cayman and Indo trips.

The self cleaning D700 vibrating sensor was useless against the hair! :)

Alex

Shot the ring flash again today. Not the most exciting subjects from the dive, but I felt that these two show two strengths of the system.

The first shows how the ring-flash seems to make some subjects glow from within.

n796325712_5868972_9092.jpg

The second shows how the ring-flash really helps get light into tight spaces.

n796325712_5868977_3780.jpg

Alex

http://digital-photography-school.com/ray-...g-flash-adapter

just saw this today .. similar sort of idea but for on land .. it would probably be a VERY easy device to produce for UW use.

Seems to me would probably sell well on the back of how usefull and good it would be .. especially if you could use it .. not use it .. on the same dive and imagine having use of ring flash or normal flash .. might come in v handy.

I have one of those, Giles. I got it hoping to adapt it for underwater. The problem with that particular device is that it only uses one strobe and absorbs enough to prevent it from working at f/16 and up with something like a Z240. I agree that the design is interesting though. Needs more diffusion too.

Slacking off work today and decided to build the Mk2. Same construction as Mk1, but with a few changes, which will hopefully improve the light transmission.

Main updates are bigger inlets into the ring diffuser for the strobes, white, rather than chromed/tin-foil reflectors (both chrome paint and tin-foil seems to loose their sheen with exposure to seawater and thus reduced light output), less opaque front window to the unit.

Here is a test shot with the Mk2:

post-713-1241116519.jpg

Alex

Hi Alex!

Maybe a dumb question, but just in theory: would it be any point of trying to build a ringflash with only one strobe, placeing it on top of the lens? Or is it certain that it wount give any decent results? :blink:

Cheers

Karel

I think that a one strobe solution could work well. I find that when I turn off one strobe on my system it makes little difference to the direction of the light - only the intensity is less.

Alex

I think that a one strobe solution could work well. I find that when I turn off one strobe on my system it makes little difference to the direction of the light - only the intensity is less.

Alex

That sounds really promising Alex!

I have one Ikelite DS-160, so it's not the weakest strobe out there.. I think I try to build one and see how it works out. Thanks alot Alex!!

Cheers

Karel

An update. I took Ring Flash version II to Sardinia and was pleased with its performance. I still believe it only suits certain subjects, but it is a nice option to have when you have a specific shot/subject in mind.

This image amused me, because you can see the ring flash reflected in the eye of this Peperoncino (triplefin).

post-713-1251190833.jpg

Not that I think that this is a particularly good effect.

Here is the whole frame:

post-713-1251190818.jpg

Alex

I have been waiting..but no one has said it...how could they not?...

It all looks.. well.. DUCKY!

Hey Guys,

My new home made ring flash is ready!!! The only thing I still have to figure out is how to bring it underwater.....^_^:)^_^

Check it out: www.haringphotography.com/blog/?p=7

I use it with a Canon 85mm 1.2L and 35mm 1.4L on 5D.

I absolutely love it!

Enjoy!

Please leave comments about your experiences and how I can improve it!

Otto

Hi Alex!

As allway's your post's makes good reading and a insperation...I find it soo cool that you Pro-Guy's also are in to DIY...

I "HAVE TO" DIY as I ussualy can't wait till I get the money...and I'd rather use my money on new linses, Strob's etc...

Great Photo's and superbe exampel's..so I HAD to try it out my self...

I too have made a UW-ring flash one a totally different scale as I'm a P&S guy.

Using one Fantasea Nano slave Flash and a Ikea 9"(app.18 cm) lamp...other than that it's the same bacic idea!

After seeing your pic.'s...I can't wait to try it...

One question...why did you decide to use two srtobe's ?? the DIY I've seen on youtube use's only one!

....Happy Hunting....

One question...why did you decide to use two srtobe's ?? the DIY I've seen on youtube use's only one!

Power really. The ones on YouTube aren't having to work in water.

Alex

Here are some recent images with the ring-flash.

Italy:

sard09_03.jpg

Canada (you can see the ring reflected in the eye on this grunty):

Can09_am10.jpg

Can09_am02.jpg

Can09_am24.jpg

Alex

Thanks Alex!

As a newcommer to serious UW photografy I lack the expirence...so it's SUPER nice having you Pro guy's!!

I still haven't tried my tiny set up UW...

But as I'm ordering the new SubSea linse from REEF and it's still not in...I might just go a head and buy a seckond Fanatasea Nano...

Thanks again Alex and keep up the good work!

Jesper

Sponsors

Advertisements