Lionfish43

Flame Lobster

In December I did a trip on the Windancer in Grenada & SVG. The best diving was around St Vincent and Bequia (although Sail Rock and the San Juan wreck were nice too.) This is a somewhat rare Flame Lobster that I shot at Bequia on a night dive.

fl01.jpg

Thanks for the comments. I realize this is pretty much a straight ID shot, but still, not a subject you see every day.

Wow...congrats on the great find and the great capture! :blush: Robyn

Great shot. I wonder why they call it a "flame lobster". :blush:

Very rare and very tiny. That was a great find, Larry.

Very rare and very tiny. That was a great find, Larry.

Not really tiny. This one was about 3-4 in. in length.

Not really tiny. This one was about 3-4 in. in length.

Then that would put it in the uppermost size range. The Humann-Deloach book lists the size as .75 in - 4.5 in.

And very rare too. It was a great find and a superb capture.

There were 3 or 4 of them (not sure if I saw the same one twice) on this one night-dive in Bequia. I guess that would be very unusual. Hard to photograph, they retreated very quickly when a light was put on them.

Yes, the Humann book says they are "very shy; retreat into recess when approached."

You got a killer shot of the lobster.

Good catch! Question for you. I've given thought to that route on the Hughes boat. I've read good and not so godd reader reviews, they vary. My question though, are these dives drift dives conducted from a dingy? Are these dives ran as follow the leader with divers diving as a group and coming up as a group? Or, do you do your own dive like most live-aboards. Thanks for your time with an answer.

Good catch! Question for you. I've given thought to that route on the Hughes boat. I've read good and not so godd reader reviews, they vary. My question though, are these dives drift dives conducted from a dingy? Are these dives ran as follow the leader with divers diving as a group and coming up as a group? Or, do you do your own dive like most live-aboards. Thanks for your time with an answer.

All of the diving was from the tenders. Most of the dives were drift dives that were led by a dive guide. Although they weren't overly strict about staying together as a group they were very anal about bottom times. A 45 min. limit was imposed on all dives. You could stretch it out a little bit but I'm talking 50 -55 min. tops. As the week went on, I was allowed more and more freedom to wander off on my own but the BT limit was still in force.

I did enjoy the trip and I dove some sites I might never have gotten to do otherwise but I really had to lay back and take it for what it was and not fight it. The diving is structured so they can keep on schedule. It is not focused on meeting the needs of serious photographers.

Sponsors

Advertisements