Sign in to follow this  
Nige Wade

Seraya Scuba Bali

Hi All,

I've just booked a couple of weeks in Bali for mid April staying at Scuba Seraya Resort in the Tulumben area.

Is there anything I need to know before I go? I remember a thread about Bali Customs being a bit troublesome to photogs.

Also can anyone give me some insight into diving the area (what to expect in April, species, weather and U/W conditions etc).

How crowded does the Liberty wreck get?

Do I need to take anything apart from the usual.

I noticed that the beds have nets, are mosquito's a problem at this time of year?

Any advice and information would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Nige Wade

Only the outside beds have nets. I don't remember the beds in my room having nets, but I could be wrong. You can sleep outside if you want.How cool is that? A friend of mine had that option because he paid more. I loved it and would definitely go back. Everyone was nice, the food was good, the dive operation was great too. The bathrooms and showers are outside your room which was off putting at first but something I started to dig. You can get a massage in your room.

Don't know about April as I was there in Sept. You take a boat to the Liberty so you don't have to worry about rocky shore entry. I don't remember it being that crowded. You can do shore diving there too.

Edited by Nakedwithoutcamera

All the 4 poster double/king beds have nets. I can't remember if the twins do as I don't think I saw them. April can be a bit muggy as it is the transition to the dry season. With the weather being so crazy lately, who knows?

The only thing I'd watch out for is dengue. It's not really an issue up in Tulamben but it pays to be cautious. The Aedes mosquito is a daytime hunter so use the mosquito nets and repellent should you sleep outdoors. I like sleeping outdoors especially at night. You're coming out of the rainy season so mossies can be a bit annoying at night.

If you are diving the wreck, arrange to go EARLY. Be in the water by 8.15 and you'll beat the crowds. It can be super crowded or not so crowded. On the weekends it's definitely more crowded. Seraya Secrets is most productive at dusk/night. I'd do a dusk to night, eat then do another one.

we loved it there. Our room was right on the water and yes, our kind size bed had netting. Never used it. If you drink wine, you might write to them a head of time and tell them what you like. We orderd 3 bottles and then they ran out. Had to go to another hotel on a wine run. I think we were in villa number 2 and we loved it. Our DM's were great and we had a wonderful time. Vis can be just ok. Liberty wreck we only did once and I would love to go back sometime. Loved the hotel and the shore diving.

Thanks Ellen, Drew and Scott,

The best advert for any destination is "I loved it and would definitely go back" & "we loved it there"

Sounds like we made a good choice. (although Dengue doesn't sound too good)

Anyone else add anything?

Nige

Just to add there is a huge shortage of alcohol in Indonesia. For those looking for wines, the good stuff will be expensive and hard to find. So hit the duty free before you enter Indonesia. Check the limits BEFORE you enter as the customs guys are now on the lookout.

Just to add there is a huge shortage of alcohol in Indonesia. For those looking for wines, the good stuff will be expensive and hard to find. So hit the duty free before you enter Indonesia. Check the limits BEFORE you enter as the customs guys are now on the lookout.

That's funny ...

Would 6 packs of Bintan every nite work, it's good beer :-)

I've just booked a couple of weeks in Bali for mid April staying at Scuba Seraya Resort in the Tulumben area.

Is there anything I need to know before I go? I

I was there at the same time as Scott and Ellen the last couple of days in September '08. I can't say enough good things about the place. I would go back again in a heartbeat. The others have already given you good feedback and answered your questions so I'll just add a recommendation about a great uw photo course I took with Jeff Mullins and his wife Dawn. They are super people and wonderful to work with. I spent a day with Jeff and the time spent with him was well worth it. I learned a number of very useful things about uw photography that I had not known before. I was so pleased that I arranged for an additional half day with him and we dived the Liberty wreck together. Jeff is very patient, no matter what your skill level and I can practically guarantee that if you hire him your images will improve. I didn't need any convincing to write a glowing recommendation which now appears on his website. I treated Jeff and Dawn to a wonderful dinner at Scuba Seraya.

Have fun!

Ellen

post-5091-1232689635.jpg

post-5091-1232690248.jpg

Edited by ornate_wrasse

The place is amazing and perfect for diving. We have been diving the Seraya Secrets this January (rainy season), just diving not at the hotel and the visibility was not more than 1 meter...

The place is amazing and perfect for diving. We have been diving the Seraya Secrets this January (rainy season), just diving not at the hotel and the visibility was not more than 1 meter...

well i will be there mid-feb so i can give you a bit more info, hope the viz gets slightly better around the wreck, if not the missus will be p.....d off ;)

One negative. There was an absolutely annoying rooster who never shut up. Even during the day. Normally I like roosters, even in the early a.m. But this one had an especially shrill cock a doodle doo. He got on my nerves. Maybe the owners made a stew out of him by now. ;)

well i will be there mid-feb so i can give you a bit more info, hope the viz gets slightly better around the wreck, if not the missus will be p.....d off ;)

Nice one Paul I would very much like to know how your trip was.

Post a report when you get back and I hope the vis is good for your dives.

Ellen, any idea how long a rooster lives for? (Please don't say "Too long!") ;)

Nige

Ellen,

I just checked out your gallery, lovely pics!!

Did you get the shot of the mimic occy at Tulumben?

The Coleman Shrimp is awesome, sharp as a pin ;)

;) Opal the cat is beautiful what species is he / she ?

Nige

I just checked out your gallery, lovely pics!!

Did you get the shot of the mimic occy at Tulumben?

The Coleman Shrimp is awesome, sharp as a pin ;)

;) Opal the cat is beautiful what species is he / she ?

Hi Nige,

Thank you for the compliments on my gallery. I'm glad you liked the images.

Yes the mimic octopus shot was taken at Tulamben while I was on a dive with Jeff and Dawn. Dawn was the spotter and I moved in for the shot ;) He was moving pretty darn fast so I had work quickly. I was fortunate to get a few shots before he "ran" away.

Thanks for the kind words on the Coleman Shrimp. Another shot that I never would have gotten had not Jeff located it for me. He knows the area very well as he lives there most of the year. He seems to know exactly where to find all the cool critters. :)

Opal appears to be Siamese, but since I got her at the local Humane Society, it's hard to say what species she is. You are not alone in noticing her beauty. My friends all comment on how beautiful she is after seeing her in person.

Do let us know how your trip goes! It's so nice at Scuba Seraya, the problem is that you won't want to return home. If you get a chance, try to spend some time in Ubud, too. It's in a different part of Bali but well worth the trip. And be sure to go to see the kecak (fire dance) when you're in Ubud. it's quite impressive to watch.

Ellen

Scuba Seraya is nice resort; we stayed there in August 2008, really love it.

Choose the first villa from restaurant with direct access to the beach; equipped with outdor bed, dip pool and mini bar.

On the way to the resort, approx. 15 minutes from airport you can stop at "makro" groceries, best prices to buy wine, spirit, beer, snacks ect.

post-8988-1232783245.jpg

post-8988-1232783449.jpg

Been there twice (July 06 and May 08). Only place I've gone back to. I'd go back again in a second. Just some more pointers:

1) If you're there for more than a few days, the menu at the restaurant gets a bit repetitive.

2) No two dives at Seraya Secrets are the same. You WILL see something different every time. Dive it as much as you can. If you want some coral and reef, a nearby site called Drop Off should fit the bill.

3) Get to Liberty as soon as possible in the AM. After about 9 to 10AM, you'll have every other diver in SE Asia in your pics if you're shooting WA. We also got a bit of current on the Liberty the few dives we did there, so beware.

4) There are no ATMs anywhere near Tulamben. If you need cash, get it before you get to Tulamben.

5) Have fun.

Cheers,

Ken

Thanks Ken and Scott,

I read JudyG's Bigass Indonesia Trip Report Here and have gleaned a lot of information on the diving in the area.

I can't wait to get in with the critters with my camera and macro set-up. I would love some W/A shots of those shoals on the Liberty and hope to get some of the Bumpheads as well.

I've heard nothing but positives about Scuba Seraya

Thanks to all for the info

Nige Wade

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements