Sign in to follow this  
resappraiser

St. Lucia & Dominica

I will be diving in St. Lucia & Dominica next month, February 16 & 17. Not sure where in St. Lucia yet, but in Dominica it will be the L'Abym Marine Reserve. These will be day dives, no night dives.

Does anyone here know what the water temps are at these locations during that time period? Also, I am thinking about not bringing my strobe, strobe arm and tray in order to keep my luggage weight down. I have made dives in the South Caribbean waters the past couple of years and the visibilty has always been excellent. So, I'm thinking I probably will not need a strobe. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Robert

I was in Dominica in April of last year, and water was never really below 78 degrees or so, even at depth. Visibility was 35 or so at only one dive, usually 50 foot plus. But the diving, especially off L'Abym, is deep, with a steep wall slope that provides a lot of shadow, so I do think you'll want a strobe. You can check out my flickr link for my Dominica gallery - I was shooting with two DS50s, and wished I had more light quite frankly. The background colors are really vibrant with the coral over all the dark volcanic substrate (Dominica's reefs are geologically quite "young".)

I was comfortable in a 3/2 shorty, as was my wife. The DMs were really lean, and they wore I believe 3 mm fulls and did report being a little chilled after the 2nd dive.

L'Abym is actually the name of one of the dive sites, the actual marine reserve is named differently (Soufriere I think?). My favorite sites, if you get a chance to choose, were L'Abym wall, Danglebens Pinnacles, and Swiss Cheese.

Enjoy the trip! Who are you diving with? One of the dive shops, last I heard, was being run by a wetpixel member and a formative influence on getting the marine reserve set up, handle here is 'nudibranch'. And I believe there's a DM/operator from St Vincent on the board too, name escapes me, but do a search and I'm sure you'll find her.

Edited by rtrski

Hi Robert

rtrski is right about L'Abym, it is quite dark and you will definately want strobes. I dove there back in February of 2004 and the water temp was near 80. I dove with Nature Island Divers whose shop is across the street from the park. Hope this helps.

Mike

Current water temp around Dominica is 26c (78f?) I am still in my 3mm. Viz is around the 18m (60ft) region.

See you soon, decided who you're diving with yet?

nudibranch

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements