DeanB

Stills cams that do video... Who cares !!!

Anychance of setting up a sub forum or something similar for those who just don't know the difference...

Once again 'pic' takers are trying to move into our domain wrongly thinking theres money to be made... We video/filmmakers dont give a crap about what the latest Canon or Nikon can achieve video wise... Whatever Trevor !!!

If you cant make money out of what you do then ....GIVE UP COS YOUR RUBBISH !!!!! ;)

Video for video... Stills for stills

Jeez !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dive safe

DeanB

Anychance of setting up a sub forum or something similar for those who just don't know the difference...

Once again 'pic' takers are trying to move into our domain wrongly thinking theres money to be made... We video/filmmakers dont give a crap about what the latest Canon or Nikon can achieve video wise... Whatever Trevor !!!

If you cant make money out of what you do then ....GIVE UP COS YOUR RUBBISH !!!!! ;)

Video for video... Stills for stills

Jeez !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dive safe

DeanB

Hm,

dear Dean, my beloved friend,

I'm afraid, I sent you too much Unicum ;)

Shoot safe,

Jules

The Nikon D-90 can only take about 5 minutes of video before the sensor heats up so much it shuts itself down. These things are not meant to be tools for the videographer so I don't think you have much to worry about.

Steve

You can resist the concept of convergence, but you run the risk of being left behind when it all happens!

You can resist the concept of convergence, but you run the risk of being left behind when it all happens!

When it does it does...But until then lets keep to our own slots people... ;)

Right got to go im taking some stills from my video ;)

Dive safe

Dean(video maker)B

Right got to go im taking some stills from my video ;)

for a billboard, right?

Ok, so seriously -- do people think there is a need for a subforum? Will the content there get lost?

Ok, so seriously -- do people think there is a need for a subforum? Will the content there get lost?

Now thats great idea Eric.... ;)

Dive safe

DeanB

There was a suggestion of this a few weeks ago, but Drew thought not, he felt everything was being covered in the video forums.

That said, we wouldn't want to clog up the real(?) video forums with our dumb (and often not-so-dumb) questions, would we?

There are some hybrid issues that the real video guys don't seem to be too interested in. I suppose they can ignore us if we are in a subforum, but at least they will know where to get the info when the time that they need it does come ;)

We have a few 5dmkii threads, which have gotten very long and sometimes a bit wayward, a good start might be to not be shy in starting new ones, and trying to keep them on track.

As for the option of (t)head-in-the-sand...

These are very exciting times. The 5dmkii and the d90 are the trojans, but nobody could really expect it to stop here. What form the next gen takes is anyone's guess, but ones thing's for sure -- it will be better.

Arguments about who's best at what aside, my clients are already telling me their video guys that are saving up for Scarlet etc are saying they will soon have full resolution stills capability, so I'm not about to sit around while parts of my business get swallowed up... would anyone else?

darren

PS I would like to take this opportunity to give a big thank you to Drew especially, and a few others of course, who have been very open with their help on issues we newbies have faced so far.

edit... and a big welcome back Eric...

Edited by photovan

No, it is definitely not needed. It's a still a camera that does both functions, like many P&S have done for years. Right now you have 2 Vidslr and 3 P&S capable of dual mode high MP still and HD video. Whatever can be said about either function will have been covered in the stills or video subforums. We can reconsider this when Scarlett and a few other models in the market, but even then the readership will be too limited to justify its own subforum. But then again, if any subforum doesn't include empty vessel participation , then I'm all for it ;)

If there was to be a new hybrid shooting/technique/gear sub forum, surely any editing and post production questions would be best served in the existing video subforums?

Ha! Are you calling Dean an Empty Vessel?!

Awesome!

I think what Dean might be missing is the usefulness of a DSLR with a special lens for shooting additional sequences for a project. I kinda Like the idea.

Ha! Are you calling Dean an Empty Vessel?!

Awesome!

I think what Dean might be missing is the usefulness of a DSLR with a special lens for shooting additional sequences for a project. I kinda Like the idea.

Yeah i can see the back handed comments but to honest who cares talks cheap !!... ;)

And once again UK sarcasm and wind ups dont travel...To be honest you can post convo's on grannies bleeding knitting on here 'whatever' jeez... I was just bored and a few pints down when i wrote the first comment (sorry...lol) but its good to see a few peeps getting all hot under the collar with a few 'Nice' comments. ;);)

Dive safe

Dean ( lets all kiss and make up whilst wearing make up)B

We have a few 5dmkii threads, which have gotten very long and sometimes a bit wayward, a good start might be to not be shy in starting new ones, and trying to keep them on track.

That's what I think everyone shouldn't be doing. Starting a new thread everytime someone discovers the same thing discovered in an older thread means you get less participation because many will not want to repeat advice over and over again. Having one thread for each camera and housing make keeps it clean and easily searchable. The real issue is the ease of which to start threads without searching and then not getting the answers they want because it's been covered in an older thread.

A 5 page topic about the 5D2 is always going to be easier to sift through than 10 topics covering the same issue. Especially when searching.

I know Drew disagrees; but I still think there are enough differences here to justify a subforum for these hybrids. Not really much different to the present DSLR / Digicam subforums

a) Housing issues will be different and evolving

b) Camera controls will be different and evolving

c) I think the integration of these two in journalism and artistically may create a hybrid genre of sorts.

Just my 2 cents, as I don't know squat about video, though my interest has certainly been piqued by these new cameras and the discussion here on WP.

My $.02:

The debate on the topic of convergence boils down to a single question: what types of devices will emerge? Either

* All in one devices. (the converged approach a la RED); or

* Purpose built devices. (The classic approach).

The 'All in one device' group believes a single device can shoot both great stills and video with no compromise to either.

The 'Purpose built device' group thinks that video and still will always be divergent due to technology implementation and user interface differences.

What do y'all think?

John

My $.02:

The debate on the topic of convergence boils down to a single question: what types of devices will emerge? Either

The 'All in one device' group believes a single device can shoot both great stills and video with no compromise to either.

The 'Purpose built device' group thinks that video and still will always be divergent due to technology implementation and user interface differences.

What do y'all think?

John

I think there will be all three... all-in-one, vids that do stills, and stills that do vid for a while anyway.

But I do look at the first video cameras that implemented stills, and how those stills were/are crap.

I look at the first implementation on Full HD Video in a DSLR, and while the interface is a bit clunky, the clips on my big screen TV sure don't look like crap. :lol:

Otherwise known as the naive group.

My $.02:

What do y'all think?

John

The big manufacturers want to keep that distinction because they get to sell 2 cameras instead of 1. :lol: To a certain extent, they are right. I seriously doubt any hybrid camera will an all in one , with full manual controls,AF, Image stabilization, strobe firing,electronic aperture control etc etc.

Vidslr are not the answer as their lenses are not built for constant aperture changes, one of the reasons the 5D2 doesn't have aperture control and defaults to shutter and ISO to control exposure first.

I think the market will go in very interesting directions. Cellphones have already stepped in with P&S with flash and limited video. I think the hybrids will just segregate into low, medium and high end at various price points, and become specialty tools. Lowlight is currently the best with the Vidslr due to the big FF35mm sensor and available f1.4 even f1.2 lenses.

It'll be a few years more before the hybrids figure themselves out as H.26x becomes easier to encode and decode, then they'll carve a 3rd niche out of the purpose built cameras.

FORGIVE ME LORD... WHAT HAVE I DONE !!!!!!!!!!

Dive safe

Dean( :lol: )B

Dive safe

Dean( :lol: )B

Well, you dropped the rock into the water. :)

Seriously, these are very-very interesting and exciting times, but one aspect: when you buy something now, maybe its value will drop 90% next year... The product cycles are very short/or fast now... As far as I remember, when one bought a Sony VX-1000, one could rest assure it will serve her/him well in the following 5-6 years... Even with the Ex1 sometimes I feel it is an "old" camcorder...

Dive safe

Dean( :( )B

You've opened a can of worms.... so, this year I have some video work to do and will be using a 'conventional' video system and probably a 5DMkII (picked it up yesterday, ostensibly for this project but it is a scarily good machine!). Interesting that videographers seem to be as cynical over video shooting stills cameras as we film shooters were in the early days of digital...... :lobster:

You've opened a can of worms.... so, this year I have some video work to do and will be using a 'conventional' video system and probably a 5DMkII (picked it up yesterday, ostensibly for this project but it is a scarily good machine!). Interesting that videographers seem to be as cynical over video shooting stills cameras as we film shooters were in the early days of digital...... :wacko:

Not cynical, scared or even the slightest bit bothered Paul darlink... If Canikon bring out a supa dupa camera that shoots hours of video that the BBC wil accept then i'll have two...

One day people will understand my typsy rants, i've been at it for years... :( But obviously sometimes it does rub peeps up the wrong way for whatever reason????? Maybe i should have my own thread 'Deans rant of the month'... :lobster:

Dive safe

DeanB

Dean

We saw the same rant over digital by film shooters (I personally never though that the digital revolution would happen as quickly as it did so I know how you feel :( ). I've talked to several videographers who are all cynical over the ability of a dSLR to shoot quality footage, but this doesn't mean that it can't..... I've just sent off discs of footage from the 5D2 to the production I'm working for to see what they think. All I can say so far is that if you import a single frame from a video sequence shot on the 5D2, its surprisingly good and considerably better than stills off sequences shot on 'acceptable' HD video cameras. I know that this isn't the full story, but the 5D2 seems to be a very capable machine so far (I've only shot a couple of raws and some jpegs on it and these look pretty good too especially at high ISO - very, very usable indeed - although I've only used 'L' series lenses or an 80mm Summilux R which is a very highly regarded lens).

Dean

We saw the same rant over digital by film shooters (I personally never though that the digital revolution would happen as quickly as it did so I know how you feel :sorry: ). I've talked to several videographers who are all cynical over the ability of a dSLR to shoot quality footage, but this doesn't mean that it can't..... I've just sent off discs of footage from the 5D2 to the production I'm working for to see what they think. All I can say so far is that if you import a single frame from a video sequence shot on the 5D2, its surprisingly good and considerably better than stills off sequences shot on 'acceptable' HD video cameras. I know that this isn't the full story, but the 5D2 seems to be a very capable machine so far (I've only shot a couple of raws and some jpegs on it and these look pretty good too especially at high ISO - very, very usable indeed - although I've only used 'L' series lenses or an 80mm Summilux R which is a very highly regarded lens).

I know Paul i saw those arguments... But mine was a jovial, comment with a hint of sarcasm with intent to have a laugh... Okay it bought out the best in some but thats their problem not mine... :wacko: If a camera comes out that can do both amazingly well then we all dance around the reefs holding hands and praisng technology :( ... If it doesn't comply with the commissioning rules of a broadcast company for 'whole prog' footage use then its only good for a sale of a few scenes (maybe) or dvd's or holiday footage, thats where i have the problem broadcasters and my lack of money :lobster: , i was watching some of my shallow water sequences from the Red Sea from my A1 on a 40" bravia and it looked amazing but that camera to many broadcasters is little more than a joke camera... I may even take to U/W photography that seems to be so much easier and the money is a lot better and quicker to obtain... But 'pro' stills shooters will deny this... obviously :B):

Anyway i will keep reading the stills that do video threads because it does interest me, i shoot video on my little canon ixsus !!!...

Dive safe

Dean( only joking)B

Edited by DeanB

Sponsors

Advertisements