Sign in to follow this  
Islandbound

Ikelite Strobes Issue

I have a D90 in a Ikelite D90 housing and a DS160 on the left and a DS125 on the right with the Red Band going to the DS125 side. I have taken hundreds of photos with both strobes firing correctly up until recently. Recently the left strobe DS160 is the only one being picked up during the exposure. The DS125 is still firing at strength but fires a fraction too late and is not lighting up anything. Almost all my photos are at F8 and shutter speed is 1/200.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me?

I have a D90 in a Ikelite D90 housing and a DS160 on the left and a DS125 on the right with the Red Band going to the DS125 side. I have taken hundreds of photos with both strobes firing correctly up until recently. Recently the left strobe DS160 is the only one being picked up during the exposure. The DS125 is still firing at strength but fires a fraction too late and is not lighting up anything. Almost all my photos are at F8 and shutter speed is 1/200.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help me?

I'm sure the Ikelite staff will respond, the only thought I had, and it really shouldn't make a difference, but did you change anything, like the curtain sync (I think the D90 has 5) or did you change from TTL to manual. Might be worth playing with to see if you can get it working in the short term till you figure out the issue.

I got this idea today from an Ikelite.

He should swap strobes on the cord ends and see if the problem repeats on a different strobe or the same. If the problem stays with the strobe, it's the strobe. If the 160 starts acting up instead of the 125 it's the cord.

Might want to give this a try.....

Good Luck!

dhaas

Sounds like a possible syn cord problem. When it started to fail, it usually 'delay' or stop firing intermitenly. Try swap with a back up sync cable if you have. Or just swap the red end between left & right if you havn't try yet.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ikelite/

I'm surprised you didn't hear from Ikelite. I would recommend you post the question on their dedicated forum on scubaboard. they check it daily and are very responsive. Good luck.

Isnt it way better to mail to Ikelite directly repair AT ikelite DOT com. They are very responsive. I dont think that if my car broke down, that peugeot would answer questions on a forum.

Other then that, the issue of the second strobe not being seen, does remind me a bit of my own problems with a pair of ikelite strobes. It turned out the strobe circuitry wasnt well. With me the faulty strobe on a single cord gave alternate black and overexposed images as well, not sure if that is the same problem as here.

Isnt it way better to mail to Ikelite directly repair AT ikelite DOT com. They are very responsive. I dont think that if my car broke down, that peugeot would answer questions on a forum.

Check the Ikelite link out that I posted to Scubaborard, they (usually Jean) does respond quickly and resolves known issues -- if they they can't figure it out, they do recommend sending it in for service. they helped me a few times.

Check the Ikelite link out that I posted to Scubaborard, they (usually Jean) does respond quickly and resolves known issues -- if they they can't figure it out, they do recommend sending it in for service. they helped me a few times.

Sorry for the update, Ikelite as usual comes through! Or at least, is going to come through. I emailed them via their website and I have to send in the strobe and sync cord for a review. This sucks as I dont have any downtime planned. I do have a set of Sea and Sea strobes and a dual sync cord for them as a crutch though. Hopefully they wont have the parts too long or the repair too expensive.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements