Simon Rogerson

Jim Abernethy trip - which wetsuit?

Does anyone know what water temperatures to expect in the northern Bahamas in late March?

I'm on the the famous Tiger/Hammerhead trip - I've even done the same JASA trip before but looking back I think I wore a 6mm which I no longer have. These days my choice is between a 5mm and a 7mm. Which to take, and what advice to give my friend, who feel the cold more than I do?

Incidentally, I believe there's still a space on the boat (dates 19-26 March). So anyone interested can feel free to email me on simon@dive.uk.com and I'll forward any messages to my friend who has chartered the boat.

I used a 3mm + 3mm hooded vest and was fine the whole trip. And I get cold easily. Just as long as everything is black(ish).

I used a 5mm Henderson along with 3mm hood in late Nov. and was fine...I also tend to run on the cold side.

Mike

The water can be cold in March! During winter Bahamas trips, I use a 5mm wetsuit, plus the 2.5 mm / 0.5mm Scubapro hooded vest (my favorite vest ever), but I get cold easily...

Dived for 7 years in the Bahamas, January to March, I always dived with a 7mm and a hood, there is nothing worse than shivering while you are lining up for a shot. There are plenty of hyper-stretch suits around, really comfortable to take on and off, but it would be ideal to have 2 suits, then you can use a dry one every day!!!

Rather be too warm in winter than too cold....

I am heading there in 2 weeks and am going with the 5/3mm and have a 3mm hooded vest coming. I have dove the 5/3 in the past and not had any issue. Although, I am coming from winter weather so I think the body adjusts a bit better to the water as it will seem warm compared to the 2 feet of ice on our lakes. LOL

Cheers

Todd

This thread is timely as I leave tomorrow :lol: I was just in Grand Cayman and got a little chilled with my 3mm + a 1mm skin. I'm thinking I'll bring the 5mm and the skin and should be OK (unless I wuss out and just bring the 7). Water temps s'posed to be in the mid-70's. I'll let you know next week...

Phil

All very useful. Funnily enough I had a telephone conversation with Jim himself this evening, and completely forgot to ask him. D'oh!

What's interesting here is everyone has a slightly different take on the question, which is fair enough because we all feel the cold in slightly different ways.

If the water temperature is going to be in the mid-seventies, then it's a call between my 5mm and 7mm suits. I'll probably sacrifice thermal protection for flexibility and go for the 5mm with a hood. Besides, I'm a bit fat and don't feel the cold much.

Below is a geeky table I drew up with my preferred suits across a variety of temperatures. I'd be interested to hear what other people make of it...

27-30ºC (81-86ºF) 1mm skin, (or just a dash of Aveda behind the ears)

24-27ºC (75-81ºF) 3mm

23-25ºC (73-77ºF) 5mm (using hood on lower range)

18-23ºC (64-73ºF) 7mm

minus 1-18ºC (29-64ºF) drysuit, variety of undersuits

Edited by Simon Rogerson

Below is a geeky table I drew up with my preferred suits across a variety of temperatures. I'd be interested to hear what other people make of it...

24-27ºC (75-81ºF) 3mm

18-23ºC (64-73ºF) 7mm

GEEK !!!... :lol:

Dive safe

Dean (in a 'leopard print thong' whatever the temp)B

24-27ºC (75-81ºF) 3mm

18-23ºC (64-73ºF) 7mm

A distinct problem is that my table is shifted as follows:

27-30ºC (81-86ºF) 7mm full + 5mm vest

24-27ºC (75-81ºF) 7mm full + 5mm vest (+ 5mm hood)

7-25ºC (45-77ºF) Drysuit, variety of undersuits

0-7ºC (32-45ºF) Personal heater? :lol:

The only time I can feasibly use 3mm neoprene is LensCoats! :)

hehehe..i had to think about that for a second alex :lol:

I didnt realize it got that much colder in bahamas in winter. I was there in may, and I was perfectly fine in 3mm+3mm hooded vest (custom made with a 5mm hood). But, if the VI is similar, then i agree. In the VI, in winter (jan/feb) i absolutely need a 5mm+3mm vest or i freeze. I usually layer even more. First a thin rashguard, then a 1mm body suit (won in a contest, and i really liked it even though its horrendous colors), then 5mm wetsuit, then 3mm vest + 5mm hood.

Hey guys. just noticed this thread. I work on the Shear Water, so I can offer firsthand information :-) The last few weeks in the Bahamas we've been seeing cooler temperatures, but it has been warming a little bit. This last week water temps ranged between 70-73F, with air temperatures 65-75F (most days around 75 as the day wore on).

Me, I would bring at least a 5mm suit. I spend more time in the water than most of our guests do, and this last trip I dove a 7mm with a 5/3 hooded vest every day. Most of our guests were comfortable with 5mm suits and hoods/hooded vests.

I hope this helps - see you soon!

-Brian

Yow, thats drysuit range

Yow, thats drysuit range

Thought you Nordic types were tougher than that....

Paul C

27-30ºC (81-86ºF) 5mm

24-27ºC (75-81ºF) 7mm

23-25ºC (73-77ºF) 7mm semi dry, no hood

18-23ºC (64-73ºF) 7mm semi dry, hood, gloves, still no booties :)

minus 1-18ºC (29-64ºF) sod that crap! unless you pay me lots :lol:

Segal.. you are a wuss!

27-30ºC (81-86ºF) Smile

24-27ºC (75-81ºF) 1mm+smile

23-25ºC (73-77ºF) 1mm+smile+beer

18-23ºC (64-73ºF) 3mm+grin+jack daniels

minus 1-18ºC (29-64ºF) 5mm+smirk+ aviation fuel

Mans diving my friends... Mans diving !!!

Dive safe

DeanB

Classic Dean - I just spat diet coke on my keyboard.....

Hey you may owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwe me a keyyyboardddddd...

Paul C

Clearly you guys forgot us Scandinavians in your tables.

The last line shoud read:

"<minus 1 (<29ºF) - Chainsaw and waiting hot sauna"

(Ok, this is why I don't dive when back visiting at home)

Edited by Marjo

I just spent the day diving here in West Palm Beach before we head out on the Shearwater tomorrow. I brought my 5mm and a 1mm skin. The water's 70 and I'm freezing my *&^ off! It's supposed to be a few degrees warmer in the Bahamas, but we stopped at a dive shop to get more layers. Bring a 7mm at least!

Phil

"Mans diving my friends... Mans diving !!!"

Man's diving... small boy's grasp of punctuation.

Come to the Bahamas, Dean. Pike are so 2007...

Its how you read it... anyway you could have edited it for me :(

I'm trying Mr Rogerson

Dive safe

Dean(empty vessel, illiterate)B

Sponsors

Advertisements