Sign in to follow this  
giulian

Fibre Optic Conversion

Hi,

I read with some interest a few months ago regarding the conversion of a Subal housing for a Canon 40D to fire strobes using fibre optic cables. I understand a conversion kit was used to replace the housings sync bulk-head with one to accept optical cables. Does any one know whether the conversion kit is available (from where and approximate cost). In addition, is any one aware whether appropriate modifications can be made to a Sea and Sea housing (MDX 40D) bulkhead to accept fibre optic cables.

Regards

Rob

That's probably my rig you're talking about. I got the conversion kit from Reef Photo & Video. I'm very happy with the conversion and have no problems with it after approx 50 dives. It cost me $300 back in June 2008.

Thanks for your response “gudge”. Yes it was your rig and experiences that I was referring to. Over the past 12 months I have followed with great interest the various threads in Wetpixel and other forums including ones closer to home in Australia in relation to the Canon 40D. It is fair to say that comments posted here in Wetpixel have significantly influenced the direction I have taken and my learning curve moving up to a DSLR set up.

I chose the Sea and Sea MDX 40 housing over the Nexus housing (which provides for optical fired strobes) due to the ease of obtaining and understanding available port combinations for Canon lenses etc.

I currently use Inon 240z strobes and I am very interested whether your solution for the subal housing can be applied to the Sea and Sea housing. I will get in contact with Reefphoto to see whether they are able to assist.

Regards

Rob

That's probably my rig you're talking about. I got the conversion kit from Reef Photo & Video. I'm very happy with the conversion and have no problems with it after approx 50 dives. It cost me $300 back in June 2008.

What exactly did you buy? thanks

Bill

What exactly did you buy? thanks

Bill

There's some pictures of the fibre optic conversion here:

Subal C40 Fibre Optic Conversion

The conversion kit consists of:

• A foam ring that fits at the base of the lens and prevents light from the inbuilt flash getting to the business end of the lens
  • Two modified Subal sync socket plugs to hold the fibre optic cords from the strobes
  • Two fibre optic windows/ports to replace the existing electric sync cord sockets on the housing
  • A fibre optic cord holder that holds the ends of the internal fibre optic cords in front of the camera's inbuilt flash
  • Two short lengths of fibre optic cord to connect the fibre optic windows on the housing to the fibre optic cord holder in front of the camera's inbuilt flash

You have to supply your own fibre optic sync cords between the housing and strobe.

Edited by Gudge

I don't know if it can work for S&S housings, but hugyfot sell a fiber-optic adapter that is inserted in one of the sync sokets of their housing for 40d. It is a very simple and cheap (it is sold for 45/50 euros) system: I think it will be worthwhile to investigate if it can work for housing by other producers.

Cheers,

Luca

Thanks Luca,

I will follow up the Hugyfot 'fibre optic adaptor'. What I also need to do is see whether there is sufficient room to open and fire the canon flash in the sea and sea housing and that there is sufficient space to add an optic cable to capture the flash ,as per the pictures posted by "Gudge" in a prior post.

Are there any readers out there in the community that have gone down this path? I would be interested in your comments!

Rob

Sadly, I know that this will not work for my Nikon D300 and Sea & Sea housing. Not enough clearance for the flash to pop up. If they don't sort this out for either a future D400 (DX) or D800 (FX), I am switching to Seatool or Nexus.....

Eskasi, Sea & Sea's MDX-D700 will have optical connectors, so the future is looking good.

The Hugyfot adapter won't fit in this housing. Sea & Sea's are not 14mm threaded.

We have installed this retrofit in Sea & Sea MDX-40D housings with good success. The housings must be sent to our store for this conversion, though.

Sign in to follow this  

Sponsors

Advertisements